From Deadspin: Is MLS a Ponzi Scheme | The Boneyard

From Deadspin: Is MLS a Ponzi Scheme

Reaction Score
The expansion wins for the MLS either way.

When they go to 28...if... everyone succeeds they will have made soccer relevant in most of the US.

If a few of them go belly up. They just shrink back to their core markets. Take a deep breath and play on.

It is a risk worth taking for the league even if some individual owners lose.

Reaction Score
The MLS is a total joke. It's a low level league.

The other Big 4 are the best leagues in the world for their respective sports.

Is the MLS even the 10th best Soccer league in the world?

You calling something a total joke? Pot to kettle.

You comparing MLS's standing in the world to the NBA or the NFL? Rotflmao.

Reaction Score
Top 10 ... not so sure how leagues can be accurately compared and ranked top-to-bottom, but which leagues can MLS reasonably be viewed as better than (no particular order): Bundesliga, La Liga, Prem, Series A, Ligue 1, Brasiliero, Russiya, Eredivisie, Argentina's Primera, Liga MX (Mexico), Championship, Jupiler (Belgium), JFL (Japan), Liga Águila (Columbia Primera), K League (Korea), A League (Oz) ...

Reaction Score
The expansion wins for the MLS either way.

When they go to 28...if... everyone succeeds they will have made soccer relevant in most of the US.

If a few of them go belly up. They just shrink back to their core markets. Take a deep breath and play on.

It is a risk worth taking for the league even if some individual owners lose.

They better get those tv ratings up, or the expansion teams will never make any money.

Reaction Score
The MLS picked UConn players overall #1 in the draft for two straight years. So I like them.

They are also the only two of maybe less than ten college planters worth writing home about.

Reaction Score
It's not top 10.
Not even close. Maybe top 30, at best.

According to the IFFHS ranking... LINK
...it's the 59th best league in the world. Now, I call BS on it being that bad, especially since it ranks Costa Rica's league as stronger, and that is just not the case as proven out every year in CONCACAF Champions League play, but the link provides a comprehensive list of all the leagues around the globe. It's pretty easy to find at least 20 that are stronger, and probably another 20 that MLS fits in the same ballpark with.

Reaction Score
Not even close. Maybe top 30, at best.

According to the IFFHS ranking... LINK
...it's the 59th best league in the world. Now, I call BS on it being that bad, especially since it ranks Costa Rica's league as stronger, and that is just not the case as proven out every year in CONCACAF Champions League play, but the link provides a comprehensive list of all the leagues around the globe. It's pretty easy to find at least 20 that are stronger, and probably another 20 that MLS fits in the same ballpark with.

MLS needs to worry about being the best league in North America. Liga MX embarrasses them every year in CCL.

MLS isn't even better than many 2nd division leagues. They wants us to believe that they are living the champagne life on a beer budget. It's all smoke and mirrors.

Reaction Score
It's not top 10.
Ya think? ;) However, which of the leagues referenced above can MLS be viewed as more competitive and higher quality? Reasonably top-to-bottom, with local experience and insight versus hopeful to wishful thinking? Throw in the Turkish and Greek Leagues for more fun ...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
MLS needs to worry about being the best league in North America. Liga MX embarrasses them every year in CCL.
As MLS has never been on par with the Mexican League, it's consistent ... at least within CONCACAF. We're # 2!

Reaction Score
As MLS has never been on par with the Mexican League, it's consistent ... at least within CONCACAF. We're # 2!

MLS's lack of quality is self imposed. The strange continuous influence of increasingly irrelevant owners like Kraft and Hunt and the insistence of single entity really hold it back.

The sooner Seattle, KC, Portland and a few others take over, the sooner the league will progress and it will become a more true competition.

Reaction Score
No clown, the article did

The MLS is a laughingstock. Klinsman was right when he said he didn't want any MLS players on the USMNT

You calling something a total joke? Pot to kettle.

You comparing MLS's standing in the world to the NBA or the NFL? Rotflmao.

Reaction Score
The MLS is a laughingstock. Klinsman was right when he said he didn't want any MLS players on the USMNT
Well, that's just incorrect. Some U.S. Americans inexplicably and dramatically overrate MLS, but only jokers truly believe it's a laughingstock. Reluctantly or inspite of some MLS players' respective capabilities aside, it's a stretch for any reasonable person or observer to truly believe Jürgen Klinsman <sic>, "... didn't want any MLS players on the USMNT". Plus, facts don't support the latter ill-informed opinion.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
The MLS is a top 15 league in the world if we are judging leagues from top to bottom, and not just by the best team, like Saprissa in Costa Rica. There's no doubt about that, and anyone doubting it is speaking without having seen many of those other leagues.

But don't get me wrong; when I say we are a top 15 league, that is more of an endictment than a compliment. I obviously used the number 15 because I don't believe they are top 10. And we are over 20 years into this league at this point. The league has been hurt by expansion watering down the product as well as tight control of team salaries through designated player rules. The MLS fights very hard to make sure that the top team is about equal in skill to the bottom team. But rather than doing that through encouraging increases in bottom team spending, they hold everyone else back. Relegation would solve a lot of what ails us, and I fear that we will never truly grow the skill level of the game until that happens and the silly DP rules go away...

Reaction Score
No clown, the article did

It's not a joke. It's just not as good as MLS wants us to believe. MLS writers look at us with a straight face and say ridiculous things like Will Trapp is just like Iniesta or if Dax was an Argentine or Italian he would be as famous as Pirlo. I hate the sway it has over the national team. That's the smoke and mirrors.

And to be fair, Jurgen loved him some Zusi , ,Gonzales, Besler and Beckerman. Even worse he loved Wondo. So he had his MLS guys.

Jurgen just wanted a core of Champions League caliber players. He also wanted guys to go push themselves in Europe. Which is totally fair.

MLS didn't like Jurgen guiding their talent abroad so the knives came out. They protected their equities and had him canned when he finally slipped up bad.

His win percentage was identical to the vaunted Bruce Arena who built his record on a steady diet minnows beaten in friendlies.

Reaction Score
Zoo nails it. Again.

I'd be better with it if they pitched the league as a place where up-and-coming internationals can get a start, and if they took CCL seriously. They can't sell MLS as a top flight league and get leveled by Mexican clubs every year.

Reaction Score
Zoo nails it. Again.

I'd be better with it if they pitched the league as a place where up-and-coming internationals can get a start, and if they took CCL seriously. They can't sell MLS as a top flight league and get leveled by Mexican clubs every year.

Hey, I go to more MLS matches than anyone here. I've seen all these guys play many times. When you see Graham Zusi boss an MLS game but struggle to create against Nicaragua or a Costa Rica then that ought to inform us about the quality of MLS.

I've seen Saprissa play here in KC. They are only as good as good MLS playoff team. Sporting throttled them at home with a few backups in the lineup, but got throttled by Saprissa in CR. Home field advantage. They are thorn in the side of MLS every year in CCL it seems.

The Mexican clubs spend more. They are more talented and make more money because people actually watch their games on TV. They get better ratings in the US than MLS.

MLS has some work to do. Introducing VAR does nothing to move the needle. They need to SPEND MONEY on better players and quit gas lighting American soccer.

Reaction Score
To me the MLS is meaningless, or should be, with regards to the USMNT

I'd like to see the ODP identify the top 20-25 players at each age group and facilitate getting them into Euro Academies

Sure many will end up back in the MLS because they aren't good enough, but our top players should come from Euro Academies and have zero association with MLS teams or even worse bad HS and College soccer

Hey, I go to more MLS matches than anyone here. I've seen all these guys play many times. When you see Graham Zusi boss an MLS game but struggle to create against Nicaragua or a Costa Rica then that ought to inform us about the quality of MLS.

I've seen Saprissa play here in KC. They are only as good as good MLS playoff team. Sporting throttled them at home with a few backups in the lineup, but got throttled by Saprissa in CR. Home field advantage. They are thorn in the side of MLS every year in CCL it seems.

The Mexican clubs spend more. They are more talented and make more money because people actually watch their games on TV. They get better ratings in the US than MLS.

MLS has some work to do. Introducing VAR does nothing to move the needle. They need to SPEND MONEY on better players and quit gas lighting American soccer.

Reaction Score
To me the MLS is meaningless, or should be, with regards to the USMNT

I'd like to see the ODP identify the top 20-25 players at each age group and facilitate getting them into Euro Academies

Sure many will end up back in the MLS because they aren't good enough, but our top players should come from Euro Academies and have zero association with MLS teams or even worse bad HS and College soccer

That's kind of happening already. The problem is MLS wants these guys for free or cheap. That's why Haji Wright and a few others jumped out of LA's Academy. And they set up dumb rules. For example, Sporting has a claim on Jesse Sargent. If he plays in MLS then the only club he can sign with is Sporting.

If MLS wants young players to stay home then they need to pay up.

Reaction Score
I assume MLS is just positioning itself for 2024. With more teams/larger footprint, better chance of getting a good TV contract. And if that happens, then they can focus on upgrading talent.

It's easy to criticize the league as being Nth-rate, but what alternative business model would be better?

Reaction Score
Also, what is happening with the proposed national training center in KC?

That seems encouraging, especially if they staff with a lot of Euro, SA coaches

USA Soccer is flush with $$, would like to see huge investments in player development

That's kind of happening already. The problem is MLS wants these guys for free or cheap. That's why Haji Wright and a few others jumped out of LA's Academy. And they set up dumb rules. For example, Sporting has a claim on Jesse Sargent. If he plays in MLS then the only club he can sign with is Sporting.

If MLS wants young players to stay home then they need to pay up.

Reaction Score
Also, what is happening with the proposed national training center in KC?

That seems encouraging, especially if they staff with a lot of Euro, SA coaches

USA Soccer is flush with $$, would like to see huge investments in player development

It's almost done. I drive by it on the way to work.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom