From CT Mag: Why I’ll Never Stop Loving UConn Basketball -- Men and Women | The Boneyard

From CT Mag: Why I’ll Never Stop Loving UConn Basketball -- Men and Women

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
Dunno if this has been posted yet...

Why I’ll Never Stop Loving UConn Basketball -- Men and Women
In Last Night At The Lobster, Stewart O’Nan’s beautiful, sad and dignified 2007 novel about a single day of working-class life in New Britain, the characters (who are mostly shift workers at a Red Lobster the last night before it closes for good) talk to each other about their everyday struggles and joys, full of references to the real-life landscape of Connecticut.

At one point in the novel, when the waitresses and cooks are making small talk, one mentions UConn is on the TV. “Men or women?” another character asks. When I read the line on a city bus in Boston, where I was spending most of my days at the time, I felt an overwhelming homesickness. Even though I was only up the road in Boston, in that moment, I needed to be back in Connecticut, back where people would understand: when talking about the Huskies, one has to clarify. “Men or women?” It’s a phrase I heard in conversation a thousand times growing up, the distinctiveness of which I never knew until I read it on a bus in Boston, written on the page in a novel. That’s so Connecticut, I thought to myself.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog
Top Bottom