From AP and ESPN: UConn Huskies finish No. 1 in women's AP Top 25 poll for 16th time | The Boneyard

From AP and ESPN: UConn Huskies finish No. 1 in women's AP Top 25 poll for 16th time

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
What?! We're Number 1 in the final poll! Quick put up a banner!!!!! (Actually i wonder if Dawn will withdraw from the NCAA tournament. I mean after all, she knows that the final poll goes to the best team in the country. Right?) (Sorry about this post it's just hangover from living here and listening to the neighbors.)

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
Why is Maryland 8th? They've been dominant for most of the season in the BIG. IMO the BIG is not a bad league, I would probably put it tied for 3rd with the ACC. I have PAC12 first followed by the SEC, but would have no problems if others thought the SEC was the best WBB Conference.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Both AP and Coach polls have UConn #1 rank. But BY's people poll has UConn #2.

I don't understand that ?
BY people are all ignorant! Always giving me grief and disagreeing. Just a bunch of know nothings! A BY poll isn't worth the money it costs to take it.

:p

Reaction Score
Both AP and Coach polls have UConn #1 rank. But BY's people poll has UConn #2.

I don't understand that ?
Many UConn fans care more about signaling their virtue as a "fan of the game" than being a real UConn fan.

Reaction Score
Do you all really believe UCONN is the best team in the country? I mean...I want to believe that, and obviously, the pundits in the sport believe it. But I will be surprised ( pleasantly ) if UCONN wins the championship. Here is my thinking;

1. Defense - it is outstanding, and the best feature of the team. It's one vulnerability would be against a team with a terrific post player and great outside shooters. There are a few of these. South Carolina, Maryland, Stanford, NC State, and Baylor.
2. Half-court offense- can be discombobulated. Not a forte. We have seen UCONN look bad in half-court against lesser quality teams.
3. Points in the paint - excellent. And the " twin towers" line-up can be impossible to defend. But 10-12 footers have to fall
4. Running on the break. Great. As good as anyone.
5. Composure - this may be tested more than ever. Youth and inexperience at the Dance can be fatal. Can Paige always come through at the critical moment?
6. Outside shooting - this is an adjunct of the half court offense. If an opponent can clog the middle effectively ( eg. South Carolina, NC State, in particular ) and double up on Paige, who is going to step up? We know Williams "can," and Westbrook "can." Maybe even Muhl can. But will they?
7. Strength of schedule - several the big, non conference games did not take place this year. The team battled to beat SC and Tennessee, and lost to Arkansas. But most of their wins were non competitive games. Does that record....along with UCONN's legacy...contribute to an overrating?

It is clear to me that UCONN has the guns to play at a championship level, and can beat anyone. But there are teams out there who can beat them. It would not surprise me if UCONN does not win this year, but they come back next season to take it all.

Reaction Score
Do you all really believe UCONN is the best team in the country? I mean...I want to believe that, and obviously, the pundits in the sport believe it. But I will be surprised ( pleasantly ) if UCONN wins the championship. Here is my thinking;

1. Defense - it is outstanding, and the best feature of the team. It's one vulnerability would be against a team with a terrific post player and great outside shooters. There are a few of these. South Carolina, Maryland, Stanford, NC State, and Baylor.
2. Half-court offense- can be discombobulated. Not a forte. We have seen UCONN look bad in half-court against lesser quality teams.
3. Points in the paint - excellent. And the " twin towers" line-up can be impossible to defend. But 10-12 footers have to fall
4. Running on the break. Great. As good as anyone.
5. Composure - this may be tested more than ever. Youth and inexperience at the Dance can be fatal. Can Paige always come through at the critical moment?
6. Outside shooting - this is an adjunct of the half court offense. If an opponent can clog the middle effectively ( eg. South Carolina, NC State, in particular ) and double up on Paige, who is going to step up? We know Williams "can," and Westbrook "can." Maybe even Muhl can. But will they?
7. Strength of schedule - several the big, non conference games did not take place this year. The team battled to beat SC and Tennessee, and lost to Arkansas. But most of their wins were non competitive games. Does that record....along with UCONN's legacy...contribute to an overrating?

It is clear to me that UCONN has the guns to play at a championship level, and can beat anyone. But there are teams out there who can beat them. It would not surprise me if UCONN does not win this year, but they come back next season to take it all.
All of the top teams are flawed and pretty even so, yeah, our chances aren't great. But they are as good as anyone else's save, maybe, Stanford but that is very close. I put UConn's chances at 24%. I put Stanford at 26% but only because their path is slightly easier. South Carolina's chances are 5% even with a slightly weaker 2 seed than UConn's. Their problem is that they have to beat both Stanford and UConn. Baylor has an 11% chance because, if they get by UConn, they get an overrated NC State team in the final four. And, frankly, I think they are slightly better than South Carolina. NC State? Less than 2%.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom