Fresno fan here.. | The Boneyard

Fresno fan here..

Reaction Score
Hi guys,

Couple questions for you (and would be happy to return any you might have)

Am I correct in thinking your DLine and front 7 will make a decent step forward this year headlined by the NFL prospect you guys have up front?

Offensively - I know the QB comp is open and a solid RB room with decent WR's - but how big of a concern is the OLine actually? Seems a bit unknown but assume some gains in the weight room have been made in the weight room.

Lastly - something I haven't been able to dig up an answer on - is the offense going to play with more tempo this year? I saw an off-season article where Edsall said he wanted the offense to be 'wide open' and use varying degrees of tempo..has anything come of that? I find it hard to imagine they'd want to get into a shootout with what we have with our skill guys. Any chance he tries to slow things down or any camp reports on how quickly the offense operates?

Best of luck this year!

Reaction Score
I'm personally as in the dark as you about what to expect. We've been a year without competition and are still a young team. The o-line should be a year away from the depth and experience we need. QB, RB, and overall defense should be somewhat improved. As for RE and an up tempo offense? I'll believe that when Jerry Garcia replaces Mayer.

Reaction Score
As for RE and an up tempo offense? I'll believe that when Jerry Garcia replaces Mayer.

‘“Jerry Garcia set to replace injured Mayer”

1629603316506.jpeg

1629603911455.jpeg
Michael Mayer​

TE 6-5, 235l

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Fresno fans must be absolutely shaking in their boots huh?

@ Fresno L 63-7
vs HC W 21-17
vs Purdue L 52-0
@ Army L 42-10
vs Wyoming L 55-14
@ Vandy L 49-0
@ UMass L 35-28
vs Yale L 38-21
vs MTSU L 63-12
@ Clemson L 77-0
@ UCF L 56-3
vs Houston L 70-20

If UConn keeps within 5 TDs of Fresno I’ll never post on the football board again
You are predicting Fresno to win by anywhere between 35 and 56 points. And....you won't ever post on this board again if UConn keeps it within 35.

Still going with that?

jbdphi

Aussie Aussie Aussie!
Reaction Score
Lastly - something I haven't been able to dig up an answer on - is the offense going to play with more tempo this year? I saw an off-season article where Edsall said he wanted the offense to be 'wide open' and use varying degrees of tempo..has anything come of that? I find it hard to imagine they'd want to get into a shootout with what we have with our skill guys. Any chance he tries to slow things down or any camp reports on how quickly the offense operates?
While we haven’t seen the team play in over a year, I feel confident in saying that our offense will be much more vanilla than almost all of its fans would want it to be. Every year Edsall says he wants something more exciting and we inevitably end up with more running plays and short passes to the sideline. We’ve only tried true tempo one year under Edsall (when we had Lashlee at OC) and he shut that down pretty quickly because it put too much pressure on our defense which was horrible that year. Edsall is a time of possession guy and that’s not likely to change.

Reaction Score
I suspect Randy will play a ball control offense, which is what he’ll do against tough competition. That said, we are in a much better place than we’ve been in a long while. Receiving corps is a strength, Cam Ross is a playmaker. Oline is somewhat of an unknown quantity but is deep. Defense should be greatly improved strength and depth wise, Jones and Uguak lead that group. Secondary will be young. Linebackers should be solid but have to avoid injury.
Edsall had to rebuild this program almost entirely. Really a 4-5 year project and we are on schedule. The year off gave many players a redshirt year that they never had. This team is much more competitive than its been the past few years.

Reaction Score
Randy’s predecessor recruited a basketball team. There were two major problems with that. First, we already had a really good basketball program. Second, he recruited a really slow basketball team.

Randy had been desperately trying to build a roster after years of abysmal recruiting. That takes time. I have no idea what you will see from UCONN next week.

Reaction Score
Honestly no idea what to expect from UConn and Edsall this year. Edsall was forced to play bunch of freshmen cause the previous coach left the talent pool completely dry. Edsall essentially had to start from scratch. This past year was basically Uconn's much needed redshirt year for much of his recruits.

Most of us have no idea what to expect. Most Uconn fans just want something competitive.

Reaction Score
Is there a reason to feel optimistic about our game vs Fresno? Not to win perhaps, but to keep it under the large point spread? Consider this. The over/under for UConn’s total wins this year is 2.5. But the odds on whether we get to 3 wins has moved substantially over the last 4 months. We are now favored to get to 3 wins. But earlier this spring Vegas said we were big underdogs to get to 3 wins. The early action has moved the “over” 2.5 wins line from +130 to -150. Yes you read that right. Considering we only need to beat Holy Cross, UMass and one other, it’s clear that either Vegas slept on all of our improvements when they set the line (we’ve been out of sight out of mind) or all of the substantial early action (including mine) is dumb money. I don’t think so. Picking UConn to cover next Saturday just may be one of this year’s smartest moves. We’ll see. I’m just excited to be playing again!! Go Huskies.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Is there a reason to feel optimistic about our game vs Fresno? Not to win perhaps, but to keep it under the large point spread? Consider this. The over/under for UConn’s total wins this year is 2.5. But the odds on whether we get to 3 wins has moved substantially over the last 4 months. We are now favored to get to 3 wins. But earlier this spring Vegas said we were big underdogs to get to 3 wins. The early action has moved the “over” 2.5 wins line from +130 to -150. Yes you read that right. Considering we only need to beat Holy Cross, UMass and one other, it’s clear that either Vegas slept on all of our improvements when they set the line (we’ve been out of sight out of mind) or all of the substantial early action (including mine) is dumb money. I don’t think so. Picking UConn to cover next Saturday just may be one of this year’s smartest moves. We’ll see. I’m just excited to be playing again!! Go Huskies.
I think there are a lot of reasons to expect UConn to cover the 27 point spread. Who knows how good the team is...but...

- RE is conservative. When UConn plays much better teams he plays to not get killed...not to win. Usually a frustrating trait of his, but good for covering spreads.

- Fresno can't be expecting much from UConn. I can't imagine they are fired up for this game. They play at Oregon next week..looking ahead?

- early start time. Usually reduces home field advantage. Crowd takes a while to wake up.

- tricked by Edsall not naming the QB until game time ( just kidding)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
At some point 60-90 minutes of real time past kick off I expect to be looking around the liquor cabinet to make up some sort of concoction to match my utter amazement of how at team with over 500 days of practice can be so unprepared.

It's going to take a few games for this team to figure itself out. Fresno on the road, breathing smog isn't it.

I do expect the team to be respectable by November.

Reaction Score
I think there are a lot of reasons to expect UConn to cover the 27 point spread. Who knows how good the team is...but...

- RE is conservative. When UConn plays much better teams he plays to not get killed...not to win. Usually a frustrating trait of his, but good for covering spreads.

- Fresno can't be expecting much from UConn. I can't imagine they are fired up for this game. They play at Oregon next week..looking ahead?

- early start time. Usually reduces home field advantage. Crowd takes a while to wake up.

- tricked by Edsall not naming the QB until game time ( just kidding)
Fresno is a 21pt. underdog against Oregon

Reaction Score
Hi guys,

Couple questions for you (and would be happy to return any you might have)

Am I correct in thinking your DLine and front 7 will make a decent step forward this year headlined by the NFL prospect you guys have up front?

Offensively - I know the QB comp is open and a solid RB room with decent WR's - but how big of a concern is the OLine actually? Seems a bit unknown but assume some gains in the weight room have been made in the weight room.

Best of luck this year!
The short answer is that no one on this board has a clue. This is the pre-season, the time of happy talk and rose colored glasses. In the recent past, this has continued until the first FBS level game when UConn gets smacked by 45 and then realism starts to set in. Usually, but not this year, this juncture is preceded by an FCS opponent that UConn barely squeaks by, and that kicks off the hand wringing. This year, without data, we just do not know, although, as many have stated, a plausible case CAN be made for improvement.

The only true invariant, however, is that Edsall will always be Edsall. He is too far along to change. So what you hear about ball control and establishing the running game first will always be his primary objective.

Reaction Score
The short answer is that no one on this board has a clue. This is the pre-season, the time of happy talk and rose colored glasses. In the recent past, this has continued until the first FBS level game when UConn gets smacked by 45 and then realism starts to set in. Usually, but not this year, this juncture is preceded by an FCS opponent that UConn barely squeaks by, and that kicks off the hand wringing. This year, without data, we just do not know, although, as many have stated, a plausible case CAN be made for improvement.

The only true invariant, however, is that Edsall will always be Edsall. He is too far along to change. So what you hear about ball control and establishing the running game first will always be his primary objective.
That’s a little extreme. No one has a crystal ball, but this is a much more competitive, stronger, deeper team than we’ve fielded in the past 4-5 years. It’s not hard to see that.

Reaction Score
I will say as we get closer my worst fear is being down 34-0 mid way though second qtr. I don’t think that happens but it would be a gut punch.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom