Freshmen Standouts Outplaying their Rankings | The Boneyard

Freshmen Standouts Outplaying their Rankings

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This morning I temember a First Night segment devoted to an acrobatic dunk by Bouk. He failed to make the basket 5 or 6 times before finally succeeding. With each miss, it was clear that there was support from teammates to give it another try. The persistence seemed initially odd, but eventually became a, "They must think it's worth it" thing. I took this as a huge vote of support for a freshman during his first introduction, and filed that impression away.

In retrospect, this is all the more meaningful because the incident that shortly after First Night came out in the media had occurred before First Night. Clearly it had not diminished enthusiasm & excitement by coaches and players for his skills.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
One of the keys to the Hurley rebuild was getting lucky with a few mid range recruits who turn out to be studs.

1. Bouk: got injured and was under-recruited by top schools. Kimani Young already had a connect with him before being hired. Both worked in our favor
2. Andre Jackson: Appears to be an absolute stud. The shot keeping him from being a Top 20, maybe even Top 10 guy.

Getting dudes like this on the roster early is critical for a quicker rebuild.

Reaction Score
This morning I temember a First Night segment devoted to an acrobatic dunk by Bouk. He failed to make the basket 5 or 6 times before finally succeeding. With each miss, it was clear that there was support from teammates to give it another try. The persistence seemed initially odd, but eventually became a, "They must think it's worth it" thing. I took this as a huge vote of support for a freshman during his first introduction, and filed that impression away.

In retrospect, this is all the more meaningful because the incident that shortly after First Night came out in the media had occurred before First Night. Clearly it had not diminished enthusiasm & excitement by coaches and players for his skills.
I literally forgot about the incident until you just mentioned it. Seems like forever ago. We are now in the bouk era and there's no looking back.

Reaction Score
I guess we should trust Hurley and staff. They know what they are doing.
King Kofi as #4 on the list. Hurley seems to have his eye on the right surprise recruits. What else does he know, JFK's assassin perhaps?

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
King Kofi as #4 on the list. Hurley seems to have his eye on the right surprise recruits. What else does he know, JFK's assassin perhaps?
Coach Hurley’s recruiting style seems to be polar opposite of Kevin’s. He seems to offer far less kids putting more time and resources into each one, he recruits for roles rather than general talent/rankings, the kids he recruits seem to have better heads on their shoulders.

Reaction Score
Coach Hurley’s recruiting style seems to be polar opposite of Kevin’s. He seems to offer far less kids putting more time and resources into each one, he recruits for roles rather than general talent/rankings, the kids he recruits seem to have better heads on their shoulders.
I don't disagree with you, but Bouk already got in trouble. We all know Kevin flew too close to the sun, but he did have some tough bounces on the recruiting trail. Point is, what Hurley is doing seems to be working so far. Bouk has well exceeded my expectations.

Last edited:

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
One thing that should help us with recruiting is that when you look around the high majors in the northeast we are one of the better situations right now. Cuse, BC, Providence, St John’s, Rutgers, G-Town... all question marks or flat out bad situations. Our only real competition for high major talent who want to stay close to home are Seton Hall and Nova.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
There was an article from ESPN about the freshman. Anyone have it?

Reaction Score
There was an article from ESPN about the freshman. Anyone have it?
This one?

Better than expected

James Bouknight, UConn: After missing the first three games of the season due to suspension, Bouknight has provided much-needed scoring pop for the Huskies. He had 19 points, including several clutch baskets, in a double-overtime loss to Xavier, and he has totaled 28 points over his past two outings. Bouknight is averaging 13.8 points thus far.

Reaction Score
Akak???
Akok is not putting up numbers to gain national attention (sans blocks) right now. You just have to see him play to realize his talents and potential. But looking at the box score, game recap or post game write-ups he's not the focus. To me I don't mind cuz it will help keep him here longer.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom