Freshman, Nerves and Foul Trouble | The Boneyard

Freshman, Nerves and Foul Trouble

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Watching the game last night, the talented but young Kentucky freshman looked their age. Missing foul shots, turning the ball over, making bad decisions.

ND has a freshman point guard and a freshman center starting in the National Championship game. Not just the NC game, but folks are calling this the biggest game since 1995. Against Connecticut, a team that they have only seen on TV and heard about, with the best defense they have seen in their lives.

Not only that, their coach has made this personal for the players.

I can't imagine how these young ladies feel right now. I don't see how this won't impact how they play.

Just for information sake, Reimer has had 4 fouls in 4 of her last 5 games. Fouled out twice this year. And she hasn't had to guard anyone close to Dolson's size and skill.

Reaction Score
The last WCBB team to win a national championship with a freshman point guard is the 1994 North Carolina Tarheels. I am with you. Notre Dame's advantage tonight is in their backcourt; An advantage historically negated by the fact that their point guard is a freshman. That said, it appears that Notre Dame's point guard will be their next All American. Kudos to Coach Ivey.

Reaction Score
Valid points.

However, in the men's game the officials were basically non-factors - letting the play flow and calling fouls as the game dictated, for the most part.

The impact of the officiating approach on tonight's game cannot be understated- especially given the Baylor game, and UConn's short bench.

One can easily hypothesize a plethora of scenarios where Dolson (jockeying for offensive / defensive position on the block), Jefferson and Hartley (fighting through screens) and even Stewart (rebounding, blocking shots) and Lewis (offensive rebounding position) are on the bench with 2 fouls before the 10 minute mark. And Coach is being restrained by Chris Daily after picking up his first technical.

IF the game is fairly officiated, if we reach halftime without having to discuss the officiating, the score almost certainly will be favorable.

HUGE "if" unfortunately...

Reaction Score
Valid points.

However, in the men's game the officials were basically non-factors - letting the play flow and calling fouls as the game dictated, for the most part.

The impact of the officiating approach on tonight's game cannot be understated- especially given the Baylor game, and UConn's short bench.

One can easily hypothesize a plethora of scenarios where Dolson (jockeying for offensive / defensive position on the block), Jefferson and Hartley (fighting through screens) and even Stewart (rebounding, blocking shots) and Lewis (offensive rebounding position) are on the bench with 2 fouls before the 10 minute mark. And Coach is being restrained by Chris Daily after picking up his first technical.

IF the game is fairly officiated, if we reach halftime without having to discuss the officiating, the score almost certainly will be favorable.

It's crazy that the thing we're most worried about is the officiating. I never find myself feeling that way when it comes to pro sports.

Reaction Score

We always discuss the officiating, for better or worse, and usually for worse.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Valid points.

I'm sorry, but ND has more issues than Uconn with a short bench.

Like I posted, Reimer could be on the bench with 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes. That is way more likely than any of your scenarios. Then what? Wright plays Dolson?

Who can afford foul trouble to their stars better?

Reaction Score
MacBride & Lloyd will try to get Stef & Stewie in foul trouble early because we all know that the Muppet will have them drive to the basket and flop. Question is - will the refs fall for it?

Reaction Score
I think the pressure of the season is getting to Muffet. She has had to watch
Uconn from behind the whole season while being undefeated also. We
recruit the same kids and she is probably seeing the top 2015 kids leaning
toward Uconn and wondering just how she is going to keep pace.
They have been waiting for this game all season and her center goes
down with a knee injury right before the big game. We at Uconn know
what that feels like and how it affects a team. If Dolson had a similar
injury at this time we would not be happy campers here at Uconn
either.
Players have to stay focused on the game and bring home a NC so we
can have another double parade down the streets of Hartford.
Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
Like I posted, Reimer could be on the bench with 2 fouls in the first 5 minutes. That is way more likely than any of your scenarios. Then what? Wright plays Dolson?

Tactically I agree (of course).

Empirically I disagree.

UConn's offensive and defensive paradigms do not include the artificial histrionics that result in fallacious fouls. These are undeniably a huge part of Notre Dame's.

Like I posted - if the game is fairly officiated, your scenario is more likely. If it is not - if it is officiated like the Baylor game - my scenarios are far more likely.

Perhaps the more important question then becomes which of the two officiating scenarios is more likely....

It's crazy that the thing we're most worried about is the officiating.

It is absolutely unfortunate.

Then again, I've not seen the likes of Baylor - Notre Dame since perhaps UConn at Rutgers some years back, and the end of the gold medal game at the Olympics of 1972. Coach has referenced it this week as well.

We've all seen how poor the officiating can be in WCBB e.g. the 2 critical missed traveling calls right in front of Dee Kantner.

But what we've seen in the games in which ND have participated is on a whole new level...

Reaction Score
"I think the pressure of the season is getting to Muffet. She has had to watchUconn from behind the whole season while being undefeated also. We recruit the same kids and she is probably seeing the top 2015 kids leaning toward Uconn and wondering just how she is going to keep pace."

Please don't make excuses for her - she has topped the "Summit" of crazy. When you are so miserable that you can't clap for a 19 year-old who has done nothing - you don't deserve any sympathy.

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
The real danger to us is not Coach McG; it's Coach Ivey. Hope she gets recruited away to be a HC somewhere else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom