Freshman dunker--in Dawn's town | The Boneyard

Freshman dunker--in Dawn's town

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Another elite talent in Columbia, South Carolina! Hmmm. Makes recruiting very easy.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She is a special athlete who has been in the news quite a bit down here.

I'm sure we'll be reading about her often over the next 8 years. It will be kinda hard for Dawn to let this one get away. What an easy sell it will be for Dawn and co. Her home is practically in the shadow of the USC campus. The article says they have already offered her.

Her family can see all if her home games without having to pack a bag or leave town. Another plus for Watkins if she chooses SC is she'd never get home sick. It's possible she could become the face of the program by then and put a few more butts in some seats as well. No doubt the hometown fans would be eager to support her. That plus all of the preseason hype that you know will precede Watkins' freshman season will assure sellout crowds if for no other reason that curiosity and loyal Gamecock support.

Last edited by a moderator:

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I'm sure we'll be reading about her often over the next 8 years. It will be kinda hard for Dawn to let this one get away. What an easy sell it will be for Dawn and co.

Her family can see all if her home games without having to pack a bag or leave town. Plus she never has to be conserned about becoming homesick. I think she'll put a few butts in some seats as well.

Believe it or not, there is another player from SC in the class of '22, that may even be better; Talaysia Cooper. She led her HS team to a state championship...as an 8th grader.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Thanks. It's hard to keep up with all the threads, especially the non-UConn threads.
  • There is no way you would have known that information was in the other thread. I was just letting you know. Your heading explains it better than mine anyway. The championship game of the girls international division will be telecast at 12:00 am Central Time and the US girls division at 1:00 am Central Time on FS1 and FS1 HD on Sunday 8-12-18. U-verse channels 652 and 1652. Set your DVR on record if you don't want to be up that late; at least that is what I did.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
  • There is no way you would have known that information was in the other thread. I was just letting you know. Your heading explains it better than mine anyway. The championship game of the girls international division will be telecast at 12:00 am Central Time and the US girls division at 1:00 am Central Time on FS1 and FS1 HD on Sunday 8-12-18. U-verse channels 652 and 1652. Set your DVR on record if you don't want to be up that late; at least that is what I did.

It seems the FS1 Sunday games are time delayed . The live games are being broadcast on FOX
(3:30-4:45 International) (4:45-6:00 US ) (Eastern time) Sat. 8/11

Are the SC players mentioned on this thread competing?

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
It seems the FS1 Sunday games are time delayed . The live games are being broadcast on FOX

Thank you. I just noticed it as I was channel surfacing.

donalddoowop

Reaction Score
To eebmg, I'm not sure if the SC players teams are still alive.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Believe it or not, there is another player from SC in the class of '22, that may even be better; Talaysia Cooper. She led her HS team to a state championship...as an 8th grader.

Thanks, I'll look for her. If Dawn can bag those two phenoms, the future looks bright for the Gamecocks. It's scary to think how good Watkins will be in 4 years.

Reaction Score

Watkins was on the SC 76ers squad out of Columbia that won the Southeast region. They lost earlier today in the semi-finals to the Central region winners from KC, 71-68.

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score

Shhhhhhhhh be quiet. You’re way too loud. Lol

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Shhhhhhhhh be quiet. You’re way too loud. Lol
LOL, there's no need to hide them from anyone; they'll both be Gamecocks.
LOL!
Rooster.jpg

Carnac

Reaction Score
LOL, there's no need to hide them from anyone; they'll both be Gamecocks.

I'm sure most posters here believe that is a foregone conclusion. I'd be shocked if they don't comment to SC, although if they think they'd like the climate in Storrs better, I'm sure something could be arranged. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Talaysia is from my neck of the woods. She is a big Gamecock, and Dawn Staley fan. With that being said, still don't count out UNC here. That offer was HUGE for her. There is another young lady from Florence S.C., named Loyal McQueen. Same scenario as Talaysia. She's headed to Chapel Hill. Really shocked Laysia isn't more on the National Radar, she's really good!

SCGamecock

Carolina Sandlapper
Reaction Score
Talaysia is from my neck of the woods. She is a big Gamecock, and Dawn Staley fan. With that being said, still don't count out UNC here. That offer was HUGE for her. There is another young lady from Florence S.C., named Loyal McQueen. Same scenario as Talaysia. She's headed to Chapel Hill. Really shocked Laysia isn't more on the National Radar, she's really good!

Exactly. I wasn’t really shocked when McQueen chose UNC. Hatchell does a great job recruiting the Pee Dee area of SC. Cooper is from that same area, so I know it’ll always be between SC and UNC for recruits from that area. The Ivory Latta influence still looms large. I’m hoping with Jolette Law on staff (another Pee Dee legend) we can begin to make inroads there, starting with Cooper.

As far as Watkins, I’d be shocked if she went anywhere other than SC. Both are players that I don’t think Dawn can let leave the state. SC does well with elite homegrown talent. Our staff is recruiting both pretty heavily. When Cooper announced her UNC offer on twitter as her “first offer” somebody from our staff immediately interjected and said “no no, we verbally offered you a year ago” haha..

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
I'm sure most posters here believe that is a foregone conclusion. I'd be shocked if they don't comment to USC, although if they think they'd like the climate in Storrs better, I'm sure something could be arranged. :)

Actually, I like the climate in Storrs better. I was moved south, against my will, in 3rd grade.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom