Freshman Azzi Fudd is everything Geno Auriemma expected. | The Boneyard

Freshman Azzi Fudd is everything Geno Auriemma expected.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Mike Anthony
July 2, 2021Updated: July 3, 2021 12:47 a.m.

Something Geno Auriemma has already come to appreciate about Azzi Fudd is the way she moves with such consistency on and off the court. Fudd’s footwork in drills is just about always the same, which is to say it’s almost always perfect.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The one thing Geno mentioned about Azzi that was something of a surprise is that she is stronger than he thought. With a heightened emphasis on strength training this year under new strength coach Andrea Hudy, improving overall team strength is an important goal for the Huskies.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
476A5577-8596-4B59-84F8-220634592E22.jpeg

:D

Reaction Score
Wow, really excited for this comment.
We have enough average shooters to open the space.
With Azzi, Paige, Duchamre & C Williams taking the majority of the 3 pt shots, UCONN should be the #1 in the nation as a team for 3 pt accuracy in the vicinity of 41.45% [everyone on the team will be fighting for #2 in the nation behind Azzi], so all 4 (probably with 3 of them on the court at one time) should be able to get free taking into account the longer distance to be in line with the men's distance. The emphasis on strength training will help with the crispness of the longer passes needed to stretch the defense, so the hiring of their previous strength coach [Andrea Hudy] will be paying huge dividends come March and April. As Geno stated in one of the two interviews to start the Month of July, "everyone has improved in June, and each session begins in the weight room."

The 3 point line rule change was actually timely for UCONN (one time in a row)...

Less than five months to the Battle of Atlantis! Can hardly wait for the 20th of November, 2021!!! Go Huskies!

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
With Azzi, Paige, Duchamre & C Williams taking the majority of the 3 pt shots, UCONN should be the #1 in the nation as a team for 3 pt accuracy in the vicinity of 41.45% [everyone on the team will be fighting for #2 in the nation behind Azzi], so all 4 (probably with 3 of them on the court at one time) should be able to get free taking into account the longer distance to be in line with the men's distance. The emphasis on strength training will help with the crispness of the longer passes needed to stretch the defense, so the hiring of their previous strength coach [Andrea Hudy] will be paying huge dividends come March and April. As Geno stated in one of the two interviews to start the Month of July, "everyone has improved in June, and each session begins in the weight room."

The 3 point line rule change was actually timely for UCONN (one time in a row)...

Less than five months to the Battle of Atlantis! Can hardly wait for the 20th of November, 2021!!! Go Huskies!
I hope we do not forget the mid range game. Far more beautiful when practiced by a true master.

Reaction Score
I hope we do not forget the mid range game. Far more beautiful when practiced by a true master.

As good as Bueckers' midrange was Fudd is generally considered to have the best mid range shot anywhere.

Those two are going to draw so much attention that their team mates are going to find themselves alone under the basket a lot.

Reaction Score

“ in the vicinity of 41.45%”. Love that!

Reaction Score
As good as Bueckers' midrange was Fudd is generally considered to have the best mid range shot anywhere.

Those two are going to draw so much attention that their team mates are going to find themselves alone under the basket a lot.
If you want UCONN to lead in 3PT accuracy then delete CW. As a frosh 36.7%, soph 33.3%, jr 34.2%
The reason I include CW is she (hopefully) will not forget that she is most effective as a driving to the basket threat, who can step back in rhythm and knock down a occasional 3 ptr instead of forcing them up at the end of the shot clock. That said, I fully agree with Alydar's assessment above.

I prefer to think [may be flawed, but this is the 'off' season] that CW will perform at the level she finished the season in the NCAA tournament five games: 11 - 28 at 39.29% from beyond the arc, with her worst shooting at 33.33% vs Iowa (3-9) and Arizona (2-6). Having effective post players [Dorka, Edwards, ONO (with a senior jump like Saniya Chong), Griffin, and by February Amari DeBerry], and guards who are 'deadly' from 3 point range, BUT also are able to drive hard to the basket and/or successfully execute the pullup midrange shot [hopefully, heavy on the and], the results of adding four new players with our veteran talent will be a return to (near) perfection.

I believe the "we need a three point shot right now" attempted three pointer is about 10 full percentage digits lower than the surprise [to the defender who is double teaming another of the five scoring threats or is cleaned out by a screen/pick] 3 pointer that is hoisted well before the shot clock expires.

CW's defense and driving to the rim is what gives her confidence to hoist and deliver made 3 pointers. I believe she will remember that this year, and she may have a senior jump (ala the sophomore jump many have seen) in all of her accuracy if she keeps the lessons learned and her mindset from the NCAA tournament. We all know that the games in the NCAA tournament are the ones that matter - still 8.5 months away....

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Give me a break. CW is the best in her class. Now she has more players to complement her. She will do some serious damages when defenses have to be honest.
Fully agree. See my last reply - I did not see yours while responding.

Consider your 'break' given!

Reaction Score

Opposing team trainers are going to need alot of tape for those "broken ankles" that the defenders will sustain because of our very quick guards plus Griffin, Edwards, & Dorka.

Reaction Score
The reason I include CW is she (hopefully) will not forget that she is most effective as a driving to the basket threat, who can step back in rhythm and knock down a occasional 3 ptr instead of forcing them up at the end of the shot clock. That said, I fully agree with Alydar's assessment above.

I prefer to think [may be flawed, but this is the 'off' season] that CW will perform at the level she finished the season in the NCAA tournament five games: 11 - 28 at 39.29% from beyond the arc, with her worst shooting at 33.33% vs Iowa (3-9) and Arizona (2-6). Having effective post players [Dorka, Edwards, ONO (with a senior jump like Saniya Chong), Griffin, and by February Amari DeBerry], and guards who are 'deadly' from 3 point range, BUT also are able to drive hard to the basket and/or successfully execute the pullup midrange shot [hopefully, heavy on the and], the results of adding four new players with our veteran talent will be a return to (near) perfection.

I believe the "we need a three point shot right now" attempted three pointer is about 10 full percentage digits lower than the surprise [to the defender who is double teaming another of the five scoring threats or is cleaned out by a screen/pick] 3 pointer that is hoisted well before the shot clock expires.

CW's defense and driving to the rim is what gives her confidence to hoist and deliver made 3 pointers. I believe she will remember that this year, and she may have a senior jump (ala the sophomore jump many have seen) in all of her accuracy if she keeps the lessons learned and her mindset from the NCAA tournament. We all know that the games in the NCAA tournament are the ones that matter - still 8.5 months away....
She was better, not doubt. her 3pt shot is still suspect but she does have a sweet stroke, just not as accurate as you think she should be. unfortunately she didnt finish as well at the rim against Arizona and her first half defense was not good at all, giving up 12 points. She was not good at all defensively at Baylor. She seems to lose concentration at times and you can see GA lose his mind as a result.

At the end of her third year, I would expect her to carry us and some may say she does if you look just at her scoring, but she gives up as much on defense as she scores, so really it is a push or very close to it. I expect her to be first team AA at this point and she isn't even close.

Reaction Score
The one thing Geno mentioned about Azzi that was something of a surprise is that she is stronger than he thought. With a heightened emphasis on strength training this year under new strength coach Andrea Hudy, improving overall team strength is an important goal for the Huskies.
You can see it in her defensive stance.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If you want UCONN to lead in 3PT accuracy then delete CW. As a frosh 36.7%, soph 33.3%, jr 34.2%
I would say that Christyn is a solid three point shooter. But as I’ve said in previous threads, unless she’s wide open she should take it by people to the hole. Having multiple good three-point shooters will mean defenders will have to guard out to the perimeter and that should open up the paint for Christyn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom