Freedom of movement rules change | The Boneyard

Freedom of movement rules change

Status
Not open for further replies.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Last night I watched the NC game from last year and the difference in play on the wings and even in the paint was truly remarkable. I know that Louisville has a reputation for being physical and that the tournament tends to be a more physical time as well, but ... It was obvious with all the guard play by Uconn as well as Louisville - constant hand on the hip riding the ball handler.
So ... amazing that the rules change/enforcement really was surprisingly effective. And also surprising that Uconn players as well as all college players could adapt so quickly and truly change the quality of defensive play and still be very successful - it obviously wasn't actually necessary, but if you can get away with it, and it makes your job easier of course you will.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
They were touting the impact of the changes at the final four.. Celebrating south carolina for increasing shooting percentage and ND for having highest... The undercurrent was, shut up about the whistles, y'all... It's good for the game!"

Reaction Score
Another point of emphasis this year was supposed to be to not allow physical displacement of players in the paint. The NCAA didn't do as good a job of that. The move that really needs to be addressed is what I call the "back it in bulldozer". The player slides down the baseline as a shot is attempted and then bends low and backs into the player trying to rebound. It's the move Ogwumike was trying to put on Dolson when she fell and KML landed on top of her. I watched a player use it on Tenn's Harrison. The player backing in undercut Harrison and she landed awkwardly, but avoided injury. It's a dangerous move and clearly violates the non-displacement that the NCAA said they wanted to stop.

The only other thing needed is to address the charge/block interpretation. They have to make it tougher to get a charge call. Too many injuries occur because defenders know they don't have to get both feet planted, they can be moving at the ball handler and they don't even need to square up. Just get your chest in the way.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Another point of emphasis this year was supposed to be to not allow physical displacement of players in the paint. The NCAA didn't do as good a job of that. The move that really needs to be addressed is what I call the "back it in bulldozer". The player slides down the baseline as a shot is attempted and then bends low and backs into the player trying to rebound. It's the move Ogwumike was trying to put on Dolson when she fell and KML landed on top of her. I watched a player use it on Tenn's Harrison. The player backing in undercut Harrison and she landed awkwardly, but avoided injury. It's a dangerous move and clearly violates the non-displacement that the NCAA said they wanted to stop.

The only other thing needed is to address the charge/block interpretation. They have to make it tougher to get a charge call. Too many injuries occur because defenders know they don't have to get both feet planted, they can be moving at the ball handler and they don't even need to square up. Just get your chest in the way.
I wasn't aware that non-displacement was a point of emphasis this year. In fact, the commentary was that the "freedom of movement" emphasis helped on the perimeter, but it remains a sumo wrestling contest in the paint. That SHOULD be corrected, but this year's points of emphasis didn't address that.

I think the rules should be changed to correspond to the reality of what is allowed, which is this (as far as I can tell from observation of what is called):

Displacement in the paint by either the offensive or the defensive player is OK, as long as:
  • the offensive player does not have the ball;
  • only the torso or shoulders are used, not the hands, elbows, or arms;
  • deliberate hooking or interlocking of arms is not done;
  • the starting point is while the player is in contact with the opponent, not from several feet away.
This still gives an advantage to burlier post players over tall and thin ones, but that seems to be accepted under the above conditions.

With respect to block/charge, every such call is arguable and seemingly always will be, at every level of basketball (men's or women's). I'm not sure that there is much that can be done with either rules or referee guidance. As far as I know, it is NOT correct to say that the defender's feet must be planted -- she is allowed to be moving laterally as long as she gets to the position before the offensive player, i.e., gets her chest in the way.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Offense. I like more offense. So change the charge/block to favor the player with the ball.

Reaction Score
Hi DD: Can't support you on this one. In my view, the calls already favor the offense overwhelmingly with respect to charge/block. Having come out of a 2-3 decade "closet" to watch the UCONN men's semi-final, I stuck around for some of the KY game as well and it seemed to me that the "bulk" (so to speak) of the Wildcats offensive scheme was to plunge toward the hoop and launch into a defender.

This call need not be so complicated. First of all the contact should be substantial; basketball is, after all, a contact sport (I can't stomach these announcers with their incessant, "Well, I think she got her with the body"). Second, the issue should then be, who INITIATED that substantial contact? A driver/shooter does not HAVE to initiate contact by propelling into a defender; they can rise upward to get the shot off just as readily as they can plow forward....and they would be much more inclined to do so if the calls were not rewarding the "line plunge."

While on my soapbox, I'll add one other issue to the thread mix: can any refs count as high as three these days? Or is there no longer a rule saying two steps max without a dribble?? OK, make it two other issues: is palming so difficult to see? Ummm, well let's make it three as I'm on a roll: is the "disc" or double-dribble so hard to observe? When we were practicing on the playgrounds, we called all these things on ourselves. The ethos back then, even on the playground, was much less on what can we get away with and much more on what is right......one of the reasons I am such a proud American.

Reaction Score

Old school was defenders were coached to beat the offensive player with the ball to the spot and if the offensive players front should was not past the defender, it was a charge. Also, too ofetn the player driving to the hoop with forward impetus causing contact was called for a charge.Too often the defender, hands straight up gets called for the contact.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
EL-Z: Agitate? Agitate?? Would I agitate???
I'll add one - is there still a 3 second rule?

Now, I know it is complicated in its details, but I think I saw about 3 called all season, if that. I saw a number more instances where I thought there was a possibility of one.

Or am I crazy?

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Wins, we are talking about two different kin do plays.

You was talking about a player with the ball being defended and jumps into the defender. What Many thought Sims did often.

I am talking specifically when a player with the ball is driving to the basket and a player moves/slides in to take the charge. I believe too often they give the call to the defender including when they flop.

If the player is not in the spot to take contact before the dribbler starts her allowable two steps to the basket it should always be a block.

Just my opinion.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
The three second rule seems to be called very unevenly. I have seen it called with about a two count and I have seen players camp out for five plus seconds, as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom