Free throw shooting | The Boneyard

Free throw shooting

Reaction Score
Not bad tonight. 23-27 for 85.2%. Freaking Villanova was 17-18 for 94.4%, which isn't surprising since they lead the country in FT %.

A month ago there were some posters on here who were complaining about the team's foul shooting and said it would cost them games. At that point in time they were about 70th in the country in FT percentage and I just didn't think it was a big issue. Before tonight they were at 74.71% good for 55th in the country. After tonight they're at 75.69%, which would be about 35th in the country. Not bad at all.

Again, I don't think free throws are an Achilles heel for this team. There are enough guys on the team that shoot them well. They may lose a game shooting less than 75%, but if they do lose there will probably be 5 other reasons before you get to free throw shooting.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Not bad tonight. 23-27 for 85.2%. Freaking Villanova was 17-18 for 94.4%, which isn't surprising since they lead the country in FT %.

A month ago there were some posters on here who were complaining about the team's foul shooting and said it would cost them games. At that point in time they were about 70th in the country in FT percentage and I just didn't think it was a big issue. Before tonight they were at 74.71% good for 55th in the country. After tonight they're at 75.69%, which would be about 35th in the country. Not bad at all.

Again, I don't think free throws are an Achilles heel for this team. There are enough guys on the team that shoot them well. They may lose a game shooting less than 75%, but if they do lose there will probably be 5 other reasons before you get to free throw shooting.

FT's are fine with this team. In end of game situations, Newton, Hawkins, Calcaterra and even Jackson are pretty much money. Karaban and Sanogo are better than average for their position. Out of all the ball handlers, Diarra is the most suspect at FT shooting. I haven't seen enough of Alleyne to get any sort of read on him in end of game situations.

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
As a team we're good, definitely agree.

I was happy to see DC make both of his since he's really struggled so far this season - he hasn't taken many but 50% is yeesh. Diarra, ditto. The upside (in some ways since drawn fouls are tasty) is neither has seen the line much and the missed shots haven't been critical... yet.

Diarra's prior stats say he isn't a FT sniper but he should be a lot closer to 70 than 50.

Reaction Score
FT's are fine with this team. In end of game situations, Newton, Hawkins, Calcaterra and even Jackson are pretty much money. Karaban and Sanogo are better than average for their position. Out of all the ball handlers, Diarra is the most suspect at FT shooting. I haven't seen enough of Alleyne to get any sort of read on him in end of game situations.
I suspect Alleyne would only be subbed in on the defensive side of the offense/defense substitution in the final minute and won't be at the line much.

Reaction Score
When Clingan went 2-2, I knew that we were in for a special night
Clingan has a great stroke and I wouldn't be surprised to see him shoot 75% at the line from here on out.

I think his misses early in the year were more nerves than some deficiency in his FT ability.

Reaction Score
It's nice to watch them hold a lead down the stretch from the FT line. Nova tired to extend the game with fouls and it didn't get them much closer. Plus it gave our guys some feeling for shooting FT under pressure.

Reaction Score
Clingan has a great stroke and I wouldn't be surprised to see him shoot 75% at the line from here on out.

I think his misses early in the year were more nerves than some deficiency in his FT ability.
Yeah, I did notice a pretty clean form for a 7'2 freshman. I can see some jumpshooting in his future years here

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score

I looked up his HS #s a couple games ago and they were in the 70s so I agree, hopefully has been "freshman jitters" - was really happy to see the 2/2. It was stated his mom was a high % FT shooter and it's something he values and works on so I have to believe 50% is not going to be where he ends the season. He doesn't take many though...

Reaction Score
UConn: 7 foul calls (Non 3pt fouls) on 31 2pt attempts.
Xavier: 19 foul calls (Non 3pt fouls) on 39 2 point attempts
While the officiating wasn't good, this isn't exactly the way it works. Every time it's a shooting foul it's not an attempt (unless it's an and-1 of course). I'm not going back through the PBP but it was 39 2-point shots + however many shooting fouls.

Reaction Score
It was a strangely officiated game. But they weren't going undefeated and if they were going to lose this is one you figured could be a loss. On to the next one.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Jump-shooting teams won’t get fouls called for them. We don’t drive to the lane to get fouls called. Our guards refuse to or can’t do it

Reaction Score
We put no pressure on the refs to blow the wistle. Our missing piece is slasher who can finish at the rim. AJ slashes a passes. Hawk doesn't have the handle and really isn't athletic. Should be Tristen. But he has been playing soft.

Sanogo has not been a beast in the paint. He got his but not thr way we needed him to. Thier bigs got no fouls guarding him.

Reaction Score
It was a strangely officiated game. But they weren't going undefeated and if they were going to lose this is one you figured could be a loss. On to the next one.

You thought it was strange? I thought it was pretty impressive that Xavier managed to go 30 minutes in a Big East game without committing a shooting foul. That Miller IS a hell of a coach. Impressive discipline.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
You thought it was strange? I thought it was pretty impressive that Xavier managed to go 30 minutes in a Big East game without committing a shooting foul. That Miller IS a hell of a coach. Impressive discipline.
I liked how they called a flop on like the 3rd play of the game then just let X flop all over the court.

Reaction Score
Hawkins isn’t athletic. Okay that’s a new one.

I don’t understand why Jackson doesn’t go to the rim more in the halfcourt.
Hawkins is dam athletic. Just needs to join Newton and be more aggressive. They are a work in progress.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom