Free throw shooting | The Boneyard

Free throw shooting

C

Chief00

I agree with this many bad foul shooters it will be tough to win close games against good teams.

Reaction Score
Are free throws traditionally worked on in practice? Or are players expected to devote extra time outside of regular practice to practice shooting free throws?

Reaction Score
Are free throws traditionally worked on in practice? Or are players expected to devote extra time outside of regular practice to practice shooting free throws?
From my understanding, the NCAA mandates how many hours a team can practice together, so i doubt much time is being spent in practices shooting free throws. I think is something guys need to be working on during their own time. I don’t know this for sure, but just speculating. I do know that Christian Vital used to spend a lot of extra time and late nights practicing shooting.

Reaction Score
From my understanding, the NCAA mandates how many hours a team can practice together, so i doubt much time is being spent in practices shooting free throws. I think is something guys need to be working on during their own time. I don’t know this for sure, but just speculating. I do know that Christian Vital used to spend a lot of extra time and late nights practicing shooting.
That is my understanding as well.

A bit a rabbit hole conversation, but the players should be paid. Would shouldn't be asking players to devote extra time to free throw shooting or whatever without additional compensation.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Many teams devote the last part of practice to FT shooting, which gives some players a chance to catch their breath before shooting. This is a mistake in my view, unless they are right after a round of killers. Their bodies should continually be simulating game conditions (i.e. faster heartrates and breathing). Players can't assume they are getting a TV Timeout to find their legs before they go to the stripe.

Reaction Score
Part of the challenge for managing end-of-game lineups for DH (assuming that status on fouls is a non-issue) is that some of our better foul shooters (ie BA/JG) have some short comings that may not allow them to be on the floor at crunch time.. And some of our better players (TM/IW) are not great foul shooters..

So what is the end of game lineup that allows you both foul shooting proficiency and a competitive and athletic team for offense/defense?? As an example.. Are you willing to live with Tyler Phommachanh's defensive deficiencies vs smaller/faster guards so that he might get to the FT Line in crunch time?? If I'm an opposing coach .. I'm going to tell my guards to try to iso Tyler Phommachanh and either get fouled or make a layup..Or both.. If their scouting dept(future opponents) has looked at our help defense.. It would be a focus at end of game.. IW was forced to play vs quicker faster guys last game and he had his own issues with those matchups...

In years past.. Our better players were also our better foul shooters.. Thus, you weren't hurt with the ball in their hands at crunch time because they were more likely than not going to sink the FTs once fouled.

So..Who is on the floor at crunch time in a close game ?? Who plays two way BB? And can sink a decent % of FTs at end of games??

Our injury situation makes this a more glaring problem.. But JB isn't walking through the door anytime soon. BTW..Hope I'm wrong on JB..

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom