OT: - Fred's Aftermath | The Boneyard

OT: Fred's Aftermath

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Dayum.

Got some new rivers run through it. Be careful if those previously empty used car lots suddenly have plenty of inventory.

Tropical Storm Fred floods streets and basements across northern Connecticut; suspected tornado touches down in Thompson - Hartford Courant

1629404376246.png

Reaction Score
Hurricane Watch east of Bridgeport, Tropical Storm Watch points west into Westchester County:

Screen Shot 2021-08-20 at 8.35.41 AM.jpg

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
With this track we’ll be spared the worst of the winds but those rivers and streams that had 3 inches of water dumped into them yesterday…

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Henri going to provide some excellent surf, hopefully winds stay off shore.

Reaction Score
Henri going to provide some excellent surf, hopefully winds stay off shore.
I'm taking advantage of my last free Friday before school starts to head to the beach for warmer water temps and some actual time outside before hunkering down for a while.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I was at my brother's house in Danbury last weekend. Apparently, the storms that blew through last week dropped a mini-tornado that touched down for a couple seconds right on the border of his house and a neighbor's. There's about a 50 sf area of total devastation in the trees all the way in back of his yard. He heard the telltale sounds of an oncoming tornado and was prepared for the worst. But once it touched down, it immediately just disappeared back into the clouds. Weird.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Henri is now supposed to go right over my house, more or less. Fortunately Rhode Island is there to soften the blow. Crazy flooding yesterday in Worcester, and a tornado as well near there.

Hurricane-Henri-1170x658.jpeg

Reaction Score
Anyone else in CT having major power line repairs/updates this summer? Every day in Norwalk, there have been crews working their tails off...I wonder if that will increase/decrease/keep same the risk of power outages. We didn't have power for six days after last year's tropical storm.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Henri is now supposed to go right over my house, more or less. Fortunately Rhode Island is there to soften the blow. Crazy flooding yesterday in Worcester, and a tornado as well near there.
Batten down the hatches and stay safe.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
69 is divine! 69 is divine! (longitudinally speaking, and from the locale where i hang my hat)
current guesses have henri comin ashore moar toward 70W -72W (the above map), especially since the bermuda high pushes it west, for now, as the low in the west pulls it that way, funneling so to speak. the key will be after it crosses the gulfstream warm water wall, and into our 'colder' water. then it will mos def get some speed brakes, prolly taking it down to trop storm winds, while better answering the question 'can it still hang a ralph to not too much here?' yes. mebbe. too soon to say.
outside of some higher winds and some bigger water, the real danger is 'canes, and trees with wet feet do not get along nicely. if ur in a place that saw a lot of water in the past week, be advised, it doesn't take too much wind to send that timber toppling to the ground. hey Wooster, u listening?
forecaster Cangialosi is on this one. pay attention to him.
Tropical Storm Henri Public Advisory (noaa.gov)
Tropical Storm Henri Forecast Discussion (noaa.gov)
i like how they always have those seeming dollar signs right above the forecasters name, cuz them noaa folks are always money.

Last edited:

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
My wife and daughter are visiting family back east for the first time in 2 years. They are on Cape Cod, with a flight out of Logan Sunday afternoon. Should be interesting.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
My wife and daughter are visiting family back east for the first time in 2 years. They are on Cape Cod, with a flight out of Logan Sunday afternoon. Should be interesting.

Check out airlines for rescheduling ahead of time.

I had to fly out of Bradley last Monday and had opportunity with Delta Airlines to do a one time change with no charges as I was potentially heading towards Fred. Fortunately Fred changed paths but it was nice to have the opportunity to proactively change my flight.

If possible get out tomorrow or Sunday. Once the flights start getting cancelled everything will back up next week. Another thing is airlines' customer service centers are still short staffed and once flights start getting cancelled wait times to change flights will snowball.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Nothing puts a pit in my stomach like a tropical storm. Hate this $41+.

JonnyRI

The files are in the computer
Reaction Score
And to think that I, like many, thought that Rhode Island served no purpose whatsoever.
I am that purpose it looks like and will soften that blow. Live in North Kingstown RI right on the coast. Looking at the center line they draw in the “Cone of Uncertainty”, it shows the first landfall in the US about 1.5 miles from my house.

Great.

And then shows the storm running directly my factory 20 miles north of my house.

Sorry CT , but here’s hoping it moves West.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
We leave our place in Clearwater every year during hurricane season and go to our place in MA. I have had more hurricane activity in MA with Irma the exception. Besides several thousand $$ of roof damage good old Irma took out an old southern oak whose branches had become my arch enemy on the 5th hole of our golf club

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
I am that purpose it looks like and will soften that blow. Live in North Kingstown RI right on the coast. Looking at the center line they draw in the “Cone of Uncertainty”, it shows the first landfall in the US about 1.5 miles from my house.

Great.

And then shows the storm running directly my factory 20 miles north of my house.

Yikes. Best of luck.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
And to think that I, like many, thought that Rhode Island served no purpose whatsoever.

Seems it is no longer needed, as Long Island gets to play that role for Connecticut instead. Henri taking a curve to the west in the latest track. Hope Taylor Swift has good insurance.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Seems it is no longer needed, as Long Island gets to play that role for Connecticut instead. Henri taking a curve to the west in the latest track. Hope Taylor Swift has good insurance.

Long Island is a barrier island it's primary function is to protect southern New England from the full force and fury of the Atlantic. Sure, it's literally on more solid ground than Outer Banks of North Carolina or barrier islands along the gulf coast of TX, LA, MS, AL and FL, but it's still a barrier island.

Reaction Score
Long Island is a barrier island it's primary function is to protect southern New England from the full force and fury of the Atlantic. Sure, it's literally on more solid ground than Outer Banks of North Carolina or barrier islands along the gulf coast of TX, LA, MS, AL and FL, but it's still a barrier island.
It’s new function is to funnel more water into NYC subways.

Reaction Score

Great.

Latest from today shows the track in western CT, east of the Naugatuck River valley, and heading northwest toward Great Barrington, MA, then Albany, NY, before turning east.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

this latest model has changed form worst case to best case seemingly for us in CT re:wind. Lots of rain though

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom