Franz Beckenbauer has died | The Boneyard

Franz Beckenbauer has died

Reaction Score
The most popular German when I lived there; finished his career with Pele and the NY Cosmos. One can't even imagine how devastating this loss will be to millions of Germans my age.

Reaction Score
The most popular German when I lived there; finished his career with Pele and the NY Cosmos. One can't even imagine how devastating this loss will be to millions of Germans my age.
Soccer Bowl '80 was the championship final of the 1980 NASL season. The New York Cosmos took on the Fort Lauderdale Strikers. The match was played on September 21, 1980 at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C. The Cosmos won, 3–0, to claim their fourth league championship, and third in the past four seasons. I was there with my son then 12, we drove 11 hours from Ft. Lauderdale to see the game. Cosmos had Beckenbauer and Birkenmeier and Strikers had Gerd Muller. It was something I will never forget.

Reaction Score
Soccer Bowl '80 was the championship final of the 1980 NASL season. The New York Cosmos took on the Fort Lauderdale Strikers. The match was played on September 21, 1980 at RFK Stadium in Washington, D.C. The Cosmos won, 3–0, to claim their fourth league championship, and third in the past four seasons. I was there with my son then 12, we drove 11 hours from Ft. Lauderdale to see the game. Cosmos had Beckenbauer and Birkenmeier and Strikers had Gerd Muller. It was something I will never forget.
Gerd Muller passed away last year. Back to back devastating losses.

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
This should bring back memories 1980 New York Cosmos

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
He pretty won everything there was to win, for club and country. He's even in the US Soccer Hall of Fame. But he's probably best known for his exploits for the German Philosophers football team.

1704811385734.png

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Very sad. Vividly remember when the Cosmos signed him and while he likely was a shell of the player he was with Bayern, he was still quite impressive.

While I didn't really follow the sport at the time, Beckenbauer and Cryuff having basically parallel careers as all time greats was in some ways similar to Messi and Ronaldo.

Reaction Score
Death isn't always devastating, especially when dying at 78 from natural causes. It is a natural part of life. Some deaths are tragic but he lived a very full life.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom