Francessa riveting radio; killing Paterno | The Boneyard

Francessa riveting radio; killing Paterno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kim Jones (Penn State Alum) is on Francessa's show right now. It is absolutely riveting. If all Penn State Alums feel the way Kim Jones feels Paterno has coached his last game.

Reaction Score
I really don't understand how there's any other way to view this. I've read the PSU boards and some of their fans' defense of Paterno blows my mind.

Read the allegations and what factually transpired. Paterno was informed by one of his assistants that he observed Sandusky and a minor laying together in the shower. Sandusky maintained a presense on campus and had direct access to locker rooms and children for years after Paterno was informed of this.

I don't care how long he's coached or how much he is Penn State football. If I'm in charge Paterno doesn't even get to clear out his own office.

Reaction Score
It all comes down to that program as a whole. Francessa and Kim Jones are KILLING PSU right now. Francessa, being 100% correct for a change, is saying how Paterno had to have known about this b/c he IS PSU. He knows the whole police dept., how it's a small town, he said he knows if one of his players even remotely looks at someone the wrong way and how it's just despicable to think that he chose to protect the Penn State "brand" over those children.

Reaction Score
I don't understand how the Graduate Assistant who saw him raping a kid in the shower and the janitor who saw him engaging in oral sex with a kid didn't call police? So they told their superiors who did nothing. How could you see that and not want to see him punished.

Reaction Score
They are sending Kim Jones to Penn State tomorrow to cover Paterno's weekly press conference at 12:30. I'm sure they'll have it live on WFAN if it's not canceled.

Jones covered the Penn State football team as a reporter when she went to school there. She is very close to the program and knows how it operates. She said there is no way Paterno did not know.

The police report shows that a Penn State coach saw Sandusky sodomizing a young boy at the Penn State facilities and told Joe Pa. Sandusky continued to have access to the facilities up until Last Week!

They all covered it up because they didn't want to tarnish the Penn State brand.

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
Paterno having his head in the sand is no better than him knowing to me. It is just as bad on him either way. They knew this guy was running a kid's charity and still didn't make a big deal. The "oh, well he wasn't on our payroll anymore" approach is just as morally reprehensible in my opinion. This is child rape we are talking about, not some calling card scam.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
I don't understand how the Graduate Assistant who saw him raping a kid in the shower and the janitor who saw him engaging in oral sex with a kid didn't call police? So they told their superiors who did nothing. How could you see that and not want to see him punished.

Yeah, they continue to sit in meetings with this creep and allow him to hold an office on campus.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
Agreed.

Reaction Score
Been listening to Francesa and Kim Jones all day and it's definitely been a riveting listen. He makes a good point about Paterno: JoePa claimed the 2002 incident was the first he'd heard about any inappropriate behavior regarding Sandusky. How could he possibly not have any info regarding the 1998 incident if there was an investigation conducted by university police and a lengthy report was produced? He's the biggest name on that campus! Been for decades.

JoePa press conference tomorrow 12:30pm - talk about a media circus.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The whole thing is almost surreal. I really expected the better from Joe Paterno and Penn State. What a disgusting story and I just hope the children effected in this are able to heal a little bit from this coming public.

Reaction Score
I generally have no use for Fat-Mouth but this situation is simply off the grid. I believe in presumed innocence, but if a quarter of this story is true the entire administration should be blown up.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

How about just going into the shower and drilling a boot into Sandusky's teeth? Then helping the kid out of there.

Also, Kim Jones referenced the disappearance of a DA and his hard drive after he learned of inappropriate behavior taking place at PSU. It may be in the indictment which I brought home for an evening read during The Sing Off. Or it may be Googleable.

Reaction Score
How about just going into the shower and drilling a boot into Sandusky's teeth? Then helping the kid out of there.

No I totally agree. The sickest thing is he ran a charity so he could prey on these kids from dysfunctional families. So he had his choice of kids who have no support at home.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I want to agree with comments from others on here. That graduate assistant McQuery should be charged as well. What kind of a person would walk in on an old man raping a 10 year old boy and not stop it or at the very least immediately go to police?? I can just imagine the old bastard looking over at him and saying, "Get lost and mind your business!" Sandusky is going to see what it's like to be on the other side when he becomes some biker's bitch in prison. Was that graduate assistant so afraid of Sandusky's ability to damage his young coaching career that he walked away? He was a former Penn State QB who should have been man enough to stop Sandusky. It's similar to the people during the Holocaust who looked the other way. That man is a coward and should have a hard time sleeping at night.

As far as Paterno goes, ket me say that since I was a small child I loved Penn State (second only to UCONN as my favorite team) and basically idolized him. I wanted to go to Penn State and got accepted but could not afford to go and had to stay in-state. I have travelled to Happy Valley (an ironic name at this point) a number of times for football games and have met Paterno, gotten autographs and pictures etc. He needs to go NOW. How could he have not taken aggressive action to stop this disgrace of a man? As Mike Francesca pointed out, all they did was 'ban' him from bringing kids on campus with him. He still had an office and parking space on campus and free access to the football facilities and offices and even brought a small boy to practice in 2007. Some ban.....Also, of all things he ran a foundation to assist troubled kids (the most easily victimized of all) and no one at Penn State did anything to stop him. Scary that he adopted children and also took in foster children. One can only imagine what this creep subjected those kids to and how many lives he has ruined.

I happened to be talking about Sandusky recently and wondered why he fell out of favor at PSU and 'retired' at 55. I guarantee that Paterno pushed him out in 1999 when he learned that he was a predator but this did nothing to stop him. It was a selfish act done in his own self-interest with no regard for the past or future victims.

Joe Paterno and everyone else who was aware of what Sandusky was doing needs to be fired immediately and some prosecuted as well.

Reaction Score
His unexpected departure in 1999 and the fact that he never seriously considered some high paying HC jobs can be easily explained now. There was no pressure for him to leave as his departure was before the downfall of PSU in the 2000s. In fact, in 1999 they finished at #11 in the country. He was set for life with nice 6 figure salary and left at 55. Paterno gave him a golden parachute and a promise to access to the team and facilities if he stayed away from boys, but couldn't chance him remaining on the staff.

Jax Husky

Reaction Score
His unexpected departure in 1999 and the fact that he never seriously considered some high paying HC jobs can be easily explained now. There was no pressure for him to leave as his departure was before the downfall of PSU in the 2000s. In fact, in 1999 they finished at #11 in the country. He was set for life with nice 6 figure salary and left at 55. Paterno gave him a golden parachute and a promise to access to the team and facilities if he stayed away from boys, but couldn't chance him remaining on the staff.

Exactly. Sickening actions.

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I see perjury indictments coming for Paterno, the PSU President and maybe this McQuery dude. The previously indicted AD and VP may have already started singing and that will prove Paterno and the other two lied to the grand jury. Paterno not knowing the details of the 2002 incident is not credible.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
I'm not sure if anyone posted it here but Sandusky's autobiography is called "Touched" by Jerry Sandusky. Are you kidding me???

I would like to see (but not buy as that bastard will not get a dime of my money) a copy of this to see if there were any clues to his hidden (or not so hidden based on the recent revelations) life. I'm sure he portrays himself as the perfect role model and family man. I am so sick of hearing about predators like this guy who pretend to help kids when they are actually destroying their lives.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I heard a very small bit of this on the ride home from work last night. Francessa made a fantastic point that the defense of Joe Pa doing what was required (and no more) by reporting it to his superiors shouldn't fly (as obviously it was buried by the superiors, not acted on) as Joe Pa made part of his legacy constant criticism of coaches who skated by rules being broken as they did what was required as thier excuse to avoid punishment on cheating yet benefit while others did the dirty work.

In order for Joe Pa to be what his image was always supposed to be, he should have stepped in the second it became apparant that nothing was being done by those he reported the incident to. While he may not have been directly involved in the cover up, he does hold a good amount of culpability for any subsequent incidents as he had the ability to put an end to this years ago merely by doing the right thing.

Reaction Score
"The records reveal that the 2002 incident was never reported to any officials in contravention of PA law." 23 Pa. C.S. Section 6311 makes it mandatory to report child sex abuse.

The Statute: http://law.onecle.com/pennsylvania/domestic-relations/00.063.011.000.html

Joe Paterno Is Done at Penn State; Fans Should Boycott Nebraska Game
http://outkickthecoverage.com/joe-paterno-is-done-at-penn-state-fans-should-boycott-nebraska-game.php
The Attorney General's Report
http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/uploadedFiles/Press/Sandusky-Grand-Jury-Presentment.pdf

Reaction Score
I really don't understand how there's any other way to view this. I've read the PSU boards and some of their fans' defense of Paterno blows my mind.

Read the allegations and what factually transpired. Paterno was informed by one of his assistants that he observed Sandusky and a minor laying together in the shower. Sandusky maintained a presense on campus and had direct access to locker rooms and children for years after Paterno was informed of this.

I don't care how long he's coached or how much he is Penn State football. If I'm in charge Paterno doesn't even get to clear out his own office.

I'd like to see this defense. Are you reading BWI? Because I don't go to any other board. If I had to estimate, it's 97-3 against Paterno.

Reaction Score
It all comes down to that program as a whole. Francessa and Kim Jones are KILLING PSU right now. Francessa, being 100% correct for a change, is saying how Paterno had to have known about this b/c he IS PSU. He knows the whole police dept., how it's a small town, he said he knows if one of his players even remotely looks at someone the wrong way and how it's just despicable to think that he chose to protect the Penn State "brand" over those children.

I think this is a wrong read.
For one, I do agree that Paterno runs everything, so though Curley is his superior, he really wasn't in reality. The buck stops on Paterno's desk.

But Paterno isn't God, he doesn't know everything that goes on with his players.

Also, I don't think this is about the PSU brand. If it were, there would have been a hue and cry three years ago when the story of Sandusky came out. For three years PSU fans have known that Sandusky was being investigated after pedophile charges stemming from the high school football incident. But that didn't seem to hurt or ding the PSU brand because what he did was post-Penn State.

For 3 years, most PSU fans had no awareness that anyone at PSU was involved, and the story seemed to fade away.

What has hurt PSU is Paterno's actions more than anything. If this were only about Sandusky, it might not have made national news (I can't recall if the news reports from 3 years ago made national news or not).

Reaction Score
Been listening to Francesa and Kim Jones all day and it's definitely been a riveting listen. He makes a good point about Paterno: JoePa claimed the 2002 incident was the first he'd heard about any inappropriate behavior regarding Sandusky. How could he possibly not have any info regarding the 1998 incident if there was an investigation conducted by university police and a lengthy report was produced? He's the biggest name on that campus! Been for decades.

JoePa press conference tomorrow 12:30pm - talk about a media circus.

Paterno and everyone else, including the state, local police, and the DA were aware of the 1998 incident, obviously. The question is, why did no one do anything about it? Reading between the lines that incident could have been why Sandusky was forced into retirement. It's long been a mystery why Paterno didn't attend Sandusky's retirement party. Paterno, knowing about 1998, should have reported 2002. I wonder how many people knew about 1998. Spanier claims he had never heard about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom