OT: - Fran Dunphy Hired by La Salle | The Boneyard

OT: Fran Dunphy Hired by La Salle

Reaction Score
The man from Philly continues his Big 5 legacy! He'll be 74 in October.

He's got a Thad Matta Hat Trick: played at La Salle, was twice an assistant at La Salle before moving onto Penn and Temple.

Aside from a four year stint assisting at Army and American, he's lived, played and coached his entire life in the Philly area.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
LaSalle home of Joe "Jelly Bean" Bryant - who I saw play in the early 70s well before Kobe was a twinkle in his eye RIP

Reaction Score
Lionel Simmons. He got me interested in LaSalle and I applied and almost went there.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Yep last time LaSalle was good. We lived in NJ and we had grads from LaSalle, Nova, Cuse, Pitt, Seton Hall Rutgers and of course UConn. One of our buddies worked for CBS sports. We would buy tickets for the entire BE tournament. We also went to a lot of Big 5 games

StllH8L8ner

You’ll get nothing and like it!
Reaction Score
Lionel Simmons. He got me interested in LaSalle and I applied and almost went there.
Good call on LS. He was a great player.
star wars GIF

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Way back when discussions first began on assembling Northeast schools for a top flight men's basketball conference (what became the BE) LaSalle could have made the claim that they were ahead if all Philly programs. They had a national title under their belt (were only a few years further removed from it at the time than we currently our from our first) and had an eventual national player of the year (Michael Brooks) on their roster.

Gavitt's preference for Nova as the Philly school (and his willingness to wait a year for them to join, something he likely would only have done for a couple schools) made BE membership a non-starter for LaSalle. Temple & St Joe's kept them out of the Atlantic (then 8, successor to the Eastern Eight) 10 left LaSalle scrambling. They were (as a catholic school) able to find a partner in the MAAC but that clearly put them at a lesser level than Temple & St Joe's and started their drop in significance among the Big Five.

Reaction Score
The man from Philly continues his Big 5 legacy! He'll be 74 in October.

He's got a Thad Matta Hat Trick: played at La Salle, was twice an assistant at La Salle before moving onto Penn and Temple.

Aside from a four year stint assisting at Army and American, he's lived, played and coached his entire life in the Philly area.

well, Fran is Philly lifer through and through

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jamie Taco

Top Bottom