FOX's entry into the picture... | The Boneyard

FOX's entry into the picture...

Reaction Score
So this whole move is to avoid telecasts being moved to streaming & to increase television revenue. Enter Fox. Here are some scenarios to discuss:
1. The leak is all a ploy to increase the ESPN contract for the AAC. Losing UCONN sports decreases the value of this contract exponentially. Would the Mouse ante up accordingly to keep the Huskies in the fold for all sports. Highly unlikely as the ink is dry & there's too much water flowing under the exit bridge.
2. The elephant in the room: Now that FOX will inherit UCONN programming (manna from heaven), how far will they go monetarily to recompense big UCONN & the Big East for this stroke of good luck?
-Adding UCONN makes viewing games on FS1 more valuable, this increasing the likelihood that this channel is part of expanded basic on all affected cable systems. (the SNY effect).
What I'd like to see at a minimum:
a. FOX & SNY reaching mutual agreement for UCONN games to be broadcast on SNY if not scheduled to be broadcast on any FOX service. (Question: Does FOX still own a piece of the YES Network? Moot point as YES IS available as expanded basic in UCONN's broadcast footprint)
b. FOX facilitating UCONN's new scheduling problem as an independent with attractive future home & homes with teams from conferences the FOX controls.
c. FOX renegotiates its BIG East contract upward due to UCONN's addition.
d. FOX negotiates a separate contract with UCONN for football for broadcast rights (don't be greedy- P5's getting $25million conservatively for all sports), say in the $ 12-15 Million range.
e. Pie in the sky ask: FOX paying a significant portion of all fees incurred by this move (exit from AAC, entrance into Big East)

So that's MY Christmas wish list. Discuss.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Most likely outcome is the BE gets it's kicker for adding an 11th team to cover our share.

FB and WBB get to make their own media deals with SNY or whomever. Perhaps Fox gets first crack at Tier 1 games.

I don't think this has any further to do with ESPN. We swallowed a patchwork confernce affiliation and a discounted media deal out of desperation and the promise of a better deal in the next round. The AAC didn't deliver, from UConn's POV. It's that simple.

CR rule #1 in effect, UConn remains the only school that is worse off for it.

Reaction Score
Streaming is the future of broadcasting. Fox is moving that way too. The ESPN+ stuff is crap for an excuse. Remember all the wailing when WBB moved off CPTV from their elderly fam base? Amazingly, they adapted. They would have adapted to this.

Your scenarios are truly a wish list. Fox will be happy to pay for Uconn BB but doubt it will be a huge premium over what they pay per school right now.

Reaction Score
Fox has their own streaming app called fox sports go. I used it to watch UFC events before they moved over to espn.

You can get any of their sporting events on it like you could with espn and espn3/watch espn app.

My guess and its only a guess is that streaming will also be a factor with fox as you move forward. They're getting rid of their regional networks so a lot of their content is going to go on that app. Its the logical choice.

Reaction Score
We should get all this stuff if we are P5 worthy. I hope our strategy for P5 was not based on riding the coattails of teams in the AAC. We are still a state flagship school with a national brand, great academics, and proximity to (and relevance in) the #1 media market in the US. All of these things will help us with scheduling and recruiting.

Yes FB is very down but that happens and we will rebound.

Reaction Score
We should get all this stuff if we are P5 worthy. I hope our strategy for P5 was not based on riding the coattails of teams in the AAC. We are still a state flagship school with a national brand, great academics, and proximity to (and relevance in) the #1 media market in the US. All of these things will help us with scheduling and recruiting.

Yes FB is very down but that happens and we will rebound.

What leads you to believe that P5 membership remains a university goal? I have to believe that Big East membership comes with the stipulation that UConn give up that dream. The Big East is comprised of schools that are Basketball first, basketball last, and basketball forever. If UConn can't make that pledge I don't see the Big East in the Huskies' future.

Reaction Score
What leads you to believe that P5 membership remains a university goal? I have to believe that Big East membership comes with the stipulation that UConn give up that dream. The Big East is comprised of schools that are Basketball first, basketball last, and basketball forever. If UConn can't make that pledge I don't see the Big East in the Huskies' future.

Don't get me wrong. I personally don't care much for the move from the AAC. I just believe the Big East will demand their pound of flesh for giving UConn basketball a seat at their table.

Reaction Score
Don't get me wrong. I personally don't care much for the move from the AAC. I just believe the Big East will demand their pound of flesh for giving UConn basketball a seat at their table.

Well, let's see what is announced. I don't like the move if we are giving up on the possibility of P5. I don't see it that way but I have no special insight. I assume the view is that we need to be a blue blood, top 10 basketball school to keep our leverage with the P5 and the chances are better in the Big East than AAC.

Reaction Score
If the BE adds 12 they can open up for more money...500-600 mil as reported back in 2013. Wonder if this move will pad the pay day a little more or if they add one more in addition to UConn eventually?

Attachments

• 2E156086-C4C7-4DC0-8124-E826A734668E.jpeg
    2E156086-C4C7-4DC0-8124-E826A734668E.jpeg
    625.2 KB · Views: 73

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
Serious question—where are prime time BE basketball games aired? Does regular FOX air basketball games? Or just FS1?

Reaction Score
Well, let's see what is announced. I don't like the move if we are giving up on the possibility of P5. I don't see it that way but I have no special insight. I assume the view is that we need to be a blue blood, top 10 basketball school to keep our leverage with the P5 and the chances are better in the Big East than AAC.

The above said, I think this is a long term move and we aren't going to the P5 anytime soon in any event.

Reaction Score
If the BE adds 12 they can open up for more money...500-600 mil as reported back in 2013. Wonder if this move will pad the pay day a little more or if they add one more in addition to UConn eventually?
That report was a linear increase, not higher AAV, due to adding more members. There will be a linear increase for 11. Perhaps UConn's presence and the extra conference games can negotiate it to higher AAV but I doubt it

Reaction Score
I am hoping this is in the works.
Why would Fox do that? How does forcing Uconn onto B12 schedules help them? People keep forgetting that by being independent Uconn may no longer qualify a P5 win for any team. They were among 4 teams allowed by the B1G in 2015. BYU is not. UMass is not. An independent Uconn is likely not going to have that designation. So how does Fox convince teams to schedule a team that does nothing for them in the playoff?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
Serious question—where are prime time BE basketball games aired? Does regular FOX air basketball games? Or just FS1?

Most on FS1, some on FOX (Saturdays), a few on FS2. They do 6:30/8:45 doubleheaders on Mondays.

Reaction Score
Are you high?

You don't think Fox wants to show UConn over B1G / Big 12 games and also pay them $12-15M for 4-6 home games a year? Preposterous!

Yes. I'm joking.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Most on FS1, some on FOX (Saturdays), a few on FS2. They do 6:30/8:45 doubleheaders on Mondays.

And hopefully it's the Central Time Zone for the 8:45 starts.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Fox has no interest in our football. If they did we’d be in the Big 10.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
The best you can hope for is SNY broadcasts all the home games and Fox Sports Go agrees to stream the SNY broadcast on Fox Sports Go. And even that is pushing it.

Reaction Score
The best you can hope for is SNY broadcasts all the home games and Fox Sports Go agrees to stream the SNY broadcast on Fox Sports Go. And even that is pushing it.
SNY is already streamed on NBC sports app for anyone within the SNY footprint. This will never happen.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom