Fox, Big Ten Closing In On Media Rights Agreement (Sports Business Daily) | The Boneyard

Fox, Big Ten Closing In On Media Rights Agreement (Sports Business Daily)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Sources: Fox, Big Ten Closing In On Media Rights Agreement

>>Fox is close to signing a deal that gives it half of the Big Ten’s available media rights package, according to several sources. Deal terms still are flexible – both in terms of money and rights. However, the two sides have agreed on basic terms that will give Fox the rights to around 25 football games and 50 basketball games that it will carry on both the broadcast channel and FS1 starting in the fall of '17. The deal runs six years and could cost Fox as much as $250M per year, depending on the amount of rights the Big Ten conference puts in its second package.<<

>>The Fox deal essentially is half of the package of games that had been with ESPN (as part of a 10-year, $1B deal that expires next spring) and CBS (as part of a 6-year, $72M basketball-only deal that also expires next spring). The Big Ten will return to the market to solicit bids on the second half of the package. The conference has the flexibility to allow for another network or two to pick up that half. ESPN will be one of several TV networks engaged for the second half of the Big Ten’s package, along with the usual suspects of CBS, NBC and Turner.<<

>>Fox’ deal is a blow to ESPN, which had held most of the conference’s rights previously. Sources said that ESPN presented a non-competitive bid several weeks ago, as the company continues to look for areas to save costs. Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany and Jon Barrett, the conference’s longtime legal counsel, negotiated the deal for the Big Ten, which did not hire an outside media consultant. Fox Sports President Eric Shanks and Exec VP/Business Larry Jones negotiated on behalf of Fox.<<

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
child-praying.jpg

Please let UConn join the B1G, please let UConn join the B1g,
please let UConn...

Reaction Score
, by the time they sell the other half and throwing in the Big Ten Network they're gonna be paying out over 50 million per school when all is said and done.

Reaction Score
, by the time they sell the other half and throwing in the Big Ten Network they're gonna be paying out over 50 million per school when all is said and done.

Except... We're not quite sure how many schools will be getting a piece of the pie ;) 14, 20?

Reaction Score
SportsBizMiss4:57pm via Twitter Web Client
Reported $250m/year for HALF of Big Ten's first-tier rights is close to what other confs get for 1st AND 2nd tier!

SportsBizMiss 4:58pm via Twitter Web Client
ESPN reportedly wasn't competitive at all with its bid. Fox pulling out the big bucks for just half the Big Ten's first-tier rights.

frankthetank111 5:04pm via Twitter Web Client
If numbers hold, we're looking at up to $500 million per year for Big Ten TV rights *without* any BTN dollars. HUGE.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
...but, but cord cutting, and ESPN layoffs...

Reaction Score
This is exactly why Rutgers and Maryland were added to the B1G. Delany knew what he was doing. Now the pieces fall into place.

Reaction Score
This is exactly why Rutgers and Maryland were added to the B1G. Delany knew what he was doing. Now the pieces fall into place.

Will Rutgers finally overtake UConn in Athletic revenue with a TV deal that is 100X more than ours?

Time. Will. Tell.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
A University of Indiana football game is worth about 50x what a UConn game is worth.

Reaction Score
Does this mean anything regarding ESPN and a potential Big 12 network? Good, bad, nothing at all?

Reaction Score
If NBC pays $250 million pear year for the other half of the rights, that would be around $54 million a year per school.

Reaction Score
Everyone not in the b1g and sec are screwed. The p2 will be become the NFL d league. Well, college sports was fun while it lasted. I assume the ncaa basketball tournament will be toast down the road.

Reaction Score
As long as we're in a competitive non P2 league I could care less. A modified ACC, A modified B12, fine with me if that's where we end up. All we should care about is getting into a conference that pays a hell of a lot better than 2 mil a year on TV rights.
And lets be honest regarding competition - outside of maybe Penn State, what Northeastern college football school will ever have a realistic shot at being a football champion anyway.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Everyone not in the b1g and sec are screwed. The p2 will be become the NFL d league. Well, college sports was fun while it lasted. I assume the ncaa basketball tournament will be toast down the road.

NCAAT is absolutely next once they figure out how best to slice and dice it. There is way too much money to be made that I'm 1000000% certain that the P2 and AboveAverage3 don't want to share with the likes of Villanova.

Reaction Score
The NCAAT can't be touched - the public loves it and loves the underdog mid-major part of it.
Once the big conferences try to take it, there will be a ton of outrage that is pretty dormant right now outside of areas like us that are completely and utterly fooooked.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
The ship is finally starting to leave port, and UConn was never added to the guest list.

Developments like this make me more worried than anything else.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
The ship is finally starting to leave port, and UConn was never added to the guest list.

Developments like this make me more worried than anything else.
I have a feeling that this deal is making some lower level P5 schools start to worry too.

It's only a matter of time before the king pins in the ACC and Big 12 jump ship to the B1G or SEC. No way they sit around and let a school like Indiana or Northwestern make double or more than what they make. I can't imagine OU, Texas, or FSU being ok with that based on their football legacy.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score
Preface - this is not my area of expertise. However, in true BY fashion, I am going to state a position and personally denigrate anyone who disagrees. Here we go:

We are in the poop of CR world. There are two ways out: 1) a magic ticket from a P5 conference and 2) entropy in the current system. We have been waiting for a call from a P5 suitor for 2 years with nothing to show but heartbreak. We are a no-go with option 1. Option 2 is scarier. We do not know how other leagues and schools will react to this news. I hope their reactions generate some conference realignment. Once schools start shuffling you never know where we might land. Go entropy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom