Fowl (foul) shooting | The Boneyard

Fowl (foul) shooting

Reaction Score
While we wait for a comprehensive analysis of our foul shooting woes (occasional), as well as "layup screwups" I have a few comments.
Foul shots become foul usually when the rhythm of the shot is interrupted. Observations from the DePaul game show tired legs from our missers. TM missed late ones when he extended his tired legs to full extension too soon before his release, thus making some of his shots "all arms and wrists". RJC has occasionally used too flat a shot where it has to be perfect to go in. Remember that the rim can fit 2 basketballs at once through it with the right trajectory!

Not to pick on any Husky but regarding layups and putbacks (close shots) it's best to find and keep your eyes on the sweet spot of the backboard and release the ball soft enough with a curl of the wrist (in the direction of the basket) to create the favorable spin ensuring success. (NO WRIST CURLS on any jump shots). Also, jumping off the wrong foot can greatly increase the degree of difficulty.
Answers to our problems with FT's and putbacks will likely rest with these and other observations as we await our expert video slicers.

krinklecut

Class of '11
Reaction Score
These may be the ramblings of a crazy person, but every time we were shooting the first of two FTs, the same player from DePaul was wildly waving his arms and yelling at a ref. Every time. It was so distracting. Felt very intentional.

Reaction Score
These may be the ramblings of a crazy person, but every time we were shooting the first of two FTs, the same player from DePaul was wildly waving his arms and yelling at a ref. Every time. It was so distracting. Felt very intentional.
Eh I’d assume having thousands of screaming fans waving their arms every which direction would be a little more distracting. No excuse for the bad FT shooting

UconnU

Demolish the XL center.
Reaction Score
We’re a poor free throw shooting team. We’ve been lucky in that the teams we’ve played haven’t shot exceptionally well from the stripe either. That will change once we get into February and we’re playing the top half of the conference. We need to improve here or else we will lose games because of it.

Reaction Score
Eh I’d assume having thousands of screaming fans waving their arms every which direction would be a little more distracting. No excuse for the bad FT shooting
I disagree. I'd imagine a raucous, packed crowd becomes white noise for a foul shooter. I think silence would be much more disorienting. In that scenario, any loud sound stands out disproportionately compared to a loud crowd situation.

Reaction Score
I claim no expertise in this area, but I offer this video below for anyone's comments.

I will share this, and I am not, and never was, any kind of basketball player. But, when I was in Junior High and forced to shoot free throws by the gym teacher, I actually made 27 out of 30. Then in the second round at another Junior High in town, I made 12 out of 30.

I have no explanation for the first experience. The second one most likely reflected reality.

Reaction Score
We’re a poor free throw shooting team. We’ve been lucky in that the teams we’ve played haven’t shot exceptionally well from the stripe either. That will change once we get into February and we’re playing the top half of the conference. We need to improve here or else we will lose games because of it.
We're not a poor free throw shooting team, we're an average free throw shooting team, and before stinking from the line against Depaul we were an above average free throw shooting team.

This board is comical as always.

Reaction Score
Essentially only two guys got to the line enough to conclude anything.
Martin 5-10 which is bad especially if he is having the ball in his hands so much.
Cole shot a respectable %
Adams was only uncharacteristically 2-4. He is veteran with a nice touch.
Three other people only got to the line once all going 1-2
Carlton,Polley and Gaffney . That statistically irrelevant.
Whaley our best big FT shooter never got to the line. That’s weird.
Obviously putting the ball in Martins hands has a FT downside .
No one besides Martin, Cole and possibly Adams got to the line enough to establish ,a real rhythm.
I would say Whaley ,not at all , and Polley ,not enough , not getting to the line was a big factor in overall %
Who shoots the shots is an important factor .

Reaction Score
One reason why I wish Gaff would get more aggressive as PG with penetration and drawing fouls. He's always been a pretty consistent and reliable FT shooter & is shooting at a 82% clip with 20+ attempts so far this year.

Reaction Score
Third consecutive road game. Martin played 37 minutes and Cole 35. They were both playing defense like demons. They were dragging.

Martin's career FT % is just over 60%. So he wasn't really off by much. Cole is over 75% for his career. It has to be focus late in games. Not concerned about Martin. Cole must be better late. It has already cost us.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Third consecutive road game. Martin played 37 minutes and Cole 35. They were both playing defense like demons. They were dragging.

Martin's career FT % is just over 60%. So he wasn't really off by much. Cole is over 75% for his career. It has to be focus late in games. Not concerned about Martin. Cole must be better late. It has already cost us.

And Martin was 5/8 today and is 17/28 for the season.

A duck is a duck.

Third season of college ball and he's been in the 60% range all three years with this being his lowest.

Reaction Score
Cole is a different shooter at the line in the waning minutes of a game.

It just underscores the value of Bouk and having the ball in his hands at the end of the game.

Also, Polley could have dumped the ball down to Whaley for a dunk on his last 3-point attempt.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom