Four Slumping Shooters...a sign for hope? | The Boneyard

Four Slumping Shooters...a sign for hope?

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
They all should be due for a positive regression to their historical means, and even a small bump by 2 or 3 could make the difference in some of the upcoming games.

Last 8 games: Joey C is shooting 22.7% from three, even if he never returns to the lofty heights over the first 14 games or so, over a four year career prior to UConn, he shot 34.6%.

Over the season: Hassan is shooting 31.9% overall and 20% from three. Over two years and 58 games at Tx A&M, he shot 36.4% overall and 31.6% from three.

Over the season: Nahiem is shooting 33% overall and 27% from three. Over three years and NINETY games at Va. Tech, he shot 38.7% overall and 38.7% from three.

Over the season: Andre is shooting 35.9% overall and 28.6% from three. Over the prior two years and 49 games at UConn, he shot 28.1% from three (so not much different) but 42% overall.

So, all are shooting well below their historical percentages. I've gotta think that 2 or 3 of them will start snapping out of it!

Reaction Score
I think Nahiem is bound to turn it around and seems like he’s getting closer. You’d expect Joey as a shooter to improve too… and lot of the guys on Diarra go under the screen so there’s a weapon if he improves

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
They all should be due for a positive regression to their historical means, and even a small bump by 2 or 3 could make the difference in some of the upcoming games.

Last 8 games: Joey C is shooting 22.7% from three, even if he never returns to the lofty heights over the first 14 games or so, over a four year career prior to UConn, he shot 34.6%.

Over the season: Hassan is shooting 31.9% overall and 20% from three. Over two years and 58 games at Tx A&M, he shot 36.4% overall and 31.6% from three.

Over the season: Nahiem is shooting 33% overall and 27% from three. Over three years and NINETY games at Va. Tech, he shot 38.7% overall and 38.7% from three.

Over the season: Andre is shooting 35.9% overall and 28.6% from three. Over the prior two years and 49 games at UConn, he shot 28.1% from three (so not much different) but 42% overall.

So, all are shooting well below their historical percentages. I've gotta think that 2 or 3 of them will start snapping out of it!
Why are they in slumps?

Reaction Score
Alleyne has made a 3 in back to back games for the first time in a month. Joey’s last big game was against Georgetown, maybe playing them again will restore his confidence. I like the odds that one of these guys gets hot over the next couple games.

Reaction Score

Joey is all mental, that turnaround looks likely. Alleyne and Diarra aren’t natural shooters, could see them pulling that percentage a bit higher but alleyne takes bad shots and Diarra is hesitant and thinking too much right now. Jackson is not a shooter and I’d argue this is what his shooting averages should actually look like and last year’s were an aberration.

Reaction Score
If good shooters miss all their shots, they become bad shooters

If bad shooters start making their shots, they become good shooters

Our guys have been in the first category since BE play. Hope they can get back to the second category

Reaction Score
Why are they in slumps?
What a question. It implies you have not even a rudimentary knowledge of individual random events, means and standard deviations.

If you’d like to blame the coach or someone else make your point. But sometimes statistics deviate from a mean just because that’s what statistics do over shorter periods. And snarky comments don’t change statistical analysis.

Reaction Score
Wow, Calcaterra really only shot 34.6% from three prior to here? He's shooting 42% this year. That just proves that he was just on a crazy hot streak earlier this year, and now we are seeing the other side of that. Not unreasonable to expect 35-40% the rest of the year, which is very good.

Alleyne shot the three pretty well prior to here, so he's due to have a higher percentage.

Diarra and Jackson aren't shooters, so I don't expect anything from them, other than Andre making more of the few shots he takes close to the basket.

Reaction Score
Wow, Calcaterra really only shot 34.6% from three prior to here? He's shooting 42% this year. That just proves that he was just on a crazy hot streak earlier this year, and now we are seeing the other side of that. Not unreasonable to expect 35-40% the rest of the year, which is very good.

Alleyne shot the three pretty well prior to here, so he's due to have a higher percentage.

Diarra and Jackson aren't shooters, so I don't expect anything from them, other than Andre making more of the few shots he takes close to the basket.
With another mouth to feed in Johnson, like we saw with DePaul, Joey will see 5-7 minutes a game at best, maybe more if he knocks down his first shot and gets on a little heater. Defense, and more importantly, defense without fouling will make or break our season. The Jackson thing being left all alone is a far bigger problem than the poor percentages elsewhere.

Reaction Score
Four Slumping Shooters

Sounds like a great name for a cover band or an intramural basketball team.

This could be my men's league team. Other than me, we probably shoot 15% from 3, and these clowns almost all played college basketball. I hate them.

To be fair, I haven't moved my feet on defense in 5+ years... so it probably evens out.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
What a question. It implies you have not even a rudimentary knowledge of individual random events, means and standard deviations.

If you’d like to blame the coach or someone else make your point. But sometimes statistics deviate from a mean just because that’s what statistics do over shorter periods. And snarky comments don’t change statistical analysis.
Ok so there's one possible reason - its just statistics. There was no snarkiness in my question. The BY is populated by some of the best shooting coaches in the world I was hoping to hear directly from them!:)

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
A 6 percentage point increase in efficiency wouldn't amount to much in points, given how rarely Andre shoots the ball to start with. He's attempted 117 FGs this year and made 42. If he was shooting 42% on his 117 attempts, he would have made 7 more of them. If three of those 7 additional makes were 3 pointers, we're talking 17 extra points across 23 games. How many of those points would have come in our 6 losses? Percentages say around 4.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
A 6 percentage point increase in efficiency wouldn't amount to much in points, given how rarely Andre shoots the ball to start with. He's attempted 117 FGs this year and made 42. If he was shooting 42% on his 117 attempts, he would have made 7 more of them. If three of those 7 additional makes were 3 pointers, we're talking 17 extra points across 23 games. How many of those points would have come in our 6 losses? Percentages say around 4.
You also need to factor in that if he was shooting 6% higher he probably would also be shooting more

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Joey C is exactly what he was at San Diego, he’s not going to shoot lights out here vs. longer/bigger defenders. Maybe a game here and there but not for a full season.

Reaction Score
Joey C is exactly what he was at San Diego, he’s not going to shoot lights out here vs. longer/bigger defenders. Maybe a game here and there but not for a full season.

I think how we've used him recently has been better. Few minutes here and there with a chance to get hot from deep. But he's too much of a liability on the other end to risk extended minutes.

Reaction Score
This could be my men's league team. Other than me, we probably shoot 15% from 3, and these clowns almost all played college basketball. I hate them.

To be fair, I haven't moved my feet on defense in 5+ years... so it probably evens out.
Sounds like you're saving that valuable energy for offense LOL

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
I was kinda sitting here thinking.

It's good to have hope. Hope is being able to see that there is light at the end of the darkness some of us seemed to be walking aimlessly through. And fearing banging into an ice-cold concrete wall.

Hope. It's a good thing.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I think how we've used him recently has been better. Few minutes here and there with a chance to get hot from deep. But he's too much of a liability on the other end to risk extended minutes.
He does make smart decisions and hits FTs. When we got him, I thought he'd be ideal for protecting a lead with two minutes to go. Unfortunately, we either blow people out or are losing/tied with 2 minutes to go.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
I was kinda sitting here thinking.

It's good to have hope. Hope is being able to see that there is light at the end of the darkness some of us seemed to be walking aimlessly through. And fearing banging into an ice-cold concrete wall.

Hope. It's a good thing.

“hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.” - Ellis Boyd “Red” Redding

Reaction Score
Sounds like you're saving that valuable energy for offense LOL

I'm built almost exactly like Joey C. Maybe 5'11 and 160ish, though I cut to around 128 for boxing.Too small to be very effective on D and I'm old so I stopped trying lol. Makes it even more impressive that Joey plays high-major ball at his size.

You'd be surprised how far a person with basic skills can go in basketball if they learn to dribble, pass and finish with both hands (and shoot 3s). I was all-conference 3x in the CIAC and I am pretty darn unathletic and way too small for this sport. I was probably 140lbs and averaged 20 a game with a negative vertical.

95% of D1 athletes can't pass with both hands. Most can't finish with both hands. Even less can pivot on both feet. It's the kind of stuff I notice instantly when watching a player because I value it so highly.

Reaction Score
I'm built almost exactly like Joey C. Maybe 5'11 and 160ish, though I cut to around 128 for boxing.Too small to be very effective on D and I'm old so I stopped trying lol. Makes it even more impressive that Joey plays high-major ball at his size.

You'd be surprised how far a person with basic skills can go in basketball if they learn to dribble, pass and finish with both hands (and shoot 3s). I was all-conference 3x in the CIAC and I am pretty darn unathletic and way too small for this sport. I was probably 140lbs and averaged 20 a game with a negative vertical.

95% of D1 athletes can't pass with both hands. Most can't finish with both hands. Even less can pivot on both feet. It's the kind of stuff I notice instantly when watching a player because I value it so highly.
Impressive results for your harsh criticism of your athleticism.. As you know.. BBIQ can make up for explosive athleticism.. Look at Bird/Karaban.. They play around and underneath the hoop. Very effectively.

BB was not my primary sport .But played a lot of street ball with D1/Juco/ Occasional ABA-NBA guys at the end of their careers(end of the bench guys) .. I do know one thing .. If you're open on the break..Or have a bunny and miss.. You're not seeing the ball again.. LOL

If Joey just tries to be Joey.. -Shooting open threes in rhythm.. Instead of trying to out-Jordan the Hawk with quick releases-- Which Jordan is elite at with his form and footwork... He'll be fine..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom