Four Rutgers Players to Transfer | The Boneyard

Four Rutgers Players to Transfer

Reaction Score
By my count Rutgers had 15 players returning plus one frosh coming in, so it seems like someone was going to have to go (unless there are walk ons). So this frees up some room, esp if some JUCOs become available. if Cvs were pushing players out I would think it would've been the non starters.
Ru will be completely different next year with 3 transfers eligible and Scaife back from injury.

Reaction Score
Hopefully some of our NJ visitors are still around and can fill in details on next year's team.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Wow - they were walking wounded this past year and had pretty awful results - they were counting on being healthy, getting I think four players back from injury or from a transfer red-shirt year, and now this. Desperate times for that program which has fallen of a cliff since joining the Big10.

People have said before that Cviv was 'past it' and she had some decent years after that, but maybe it really is time to walk away.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
By my count Rutgers had 15 players returning plus one frosh coming in, so it seems like someone was going to have to go (unless there are walk ons). So this frees up some room, esp if some JUCOs become available. if Cvs were pushing players out I would think it would've been the non starters.
Ru will be completely different next year with 3 transfers eligible and Scaife back from injury.
They had 16 on the roster this past year with three seniors two of whom didn't play at all so presumable can return for a red shirt 5th year. But that 16 means at least one walk-on. So they are losing one senior and you say have a freshman coming in which would have kept the same roster size. (The two non playing seniors were Scaife and Fitzpatrick - Scaife is planning to return, no idea about Fitzpatrick - the other senior played 13 games Alfano so I think she cannot return.)

With these four leaving that would leave a roster of 11 scholarship and 1 walk-on.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
They had 16 on the roster this past year with three seniors two of whom didn't play at all so presumable can return for a red shirt 5th year. But that 16 means at least one walk-on. So they are losing one senior and you say have a freshman coming in which would have kept the same roster size. (The two non playing seniors were Scaife and Fitzpatrick - Scaife is planning to return, no idea about Fitzpatrick - the other senior played 13 games Alfano so I think she cannot return.)

With these four leaving that would leave a roster of 11 scholarship and 1 walk-on.

Here's an article on the prominent redshirts, including Tyler Scaife. It's relatively current and for the sake of everyone involved with Rutgers, you hope it's accurate.

Meet the 'Rojos': 'Hypest bench in America' on mission to rebuild Rutgers women's basketball

We wrote earlier in one of the Coaching Carousel threads that C. Viv was supposed to sign a contract extension, but it hadn't happened yet. Hope that's the case because the outdated facilities line just isn't the only reason. Me thinks it's just time to acknowledge a fine career and start up a new one. However, if they decide to give C. Viv one more try, this group of redshirts has to make it happen or that redo will start after the 2018 season.

Reaction Score
(The two non playing seniors were Scaife and Fitzpatrick - Scaife is planning to return, no idea about Fitzpatrick - the other senior played 13 games Alfano so I think she cannot return.)

Fitzpatrick is a transfer from St Joes, and this past season was her sit-out year.
Alfano is done.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Yes, but does the 15 apply to transfers during their sit-out year?
Yes - any player on scholarship whether eligible to play or not counts

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Monday p.m. update: This article just got posted on nj.com. The short news is that there are four red shirts eligible next year and a number of recruits/transfers, as well. A number of the remaining players were going to have reduced playing time so they saw the writing on the wall . Downside: there is now only one (1) NJ native on the WBB roster for Jersey's flagship university, in a state the produces some pretty good WCBB players (said the guy who roots for a team with Manasquan's Mabreys on it ;)). I was watching Georgia Tech's undersized front-court star, Zaire O'Neil, in the WNIT finals and thinking that's the type of kid that used to be gimme for C. Viv.

Here's that very recent update:
Top 3 scorers among 4 to transfer from Rutgers women's basketball with new look coming

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score

Alfano was the walk-on. Played a lot before her concussion not because she was a great player, but because the others were not doing what Viv wanted.

Reaction Score
Is it me? Or are there way more top players transferring away from top schools? Has there been an incident of a team using key transfers to win the national championship before?

I know that benchwarmers are likely to go to a somewhat easier school in order to get playing time, but there are so many stars moving these days.

Is it the case? Or have I just not noticed before?

Reaction Score
Is it me? Or are there way more top players transferring away from top schools? Has there been an incident of a team using key transfers to win the national championship before?

I know that benchwarmers are likely to go to a somewhat easier school in order to get playing time, but there are so many stars moving these days.

Think about it this way: no D3 player is going to transfer schools to play basketball somewhere else bc their future isn't in basketball. Such was the case 30 years ago for all except the best 10 or so players, who would have to go to Europe to earn a living in BB.
Today, the stakes are so much higher. Being an elite player can be financially lucrative, so there's a much greater incentive to get things right. There also are a lot more players going abroad or playing in the US.
And the pressure on the players is different. Coaches are getting paid more so there are greater expectations on them. Thus the coaches get more demanding etc

Reaction Score
That could take years. :p

It will take her at least 2 seasons. I don't see a program that won 6 games this past season winning 23 the next. Maybe a professional team like the Red Sox can go from worst to first (or contender) in a single year; hard to imagine a college program flipping the script as quickly, even in the B1G.

Reaction Score

Don't know of one before this year. Hopefully next year will be 2 in a row. Good for WBB?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom