Found this Aresco interview on the Houston board | The Boneyard

Found this Aresco interview on the Houston board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Like this guy. Only question is why mention "12-14" team conference if there are 13 teams right now. Didn't say 14, he specifically said 12-14.

I think he showed his hand a little.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Marty, around the 5 minute mark, he specifically says that we will be 12 teams next year and 13 when Navy arrives. I think you are making too much out of nothing.

I'll tell you what; I really like this guy. If you compare him to the last two leaders of this conference, it seems to me to be night and day. I finally feel like the ship is going in the right direction, and that is hugely important! Go get 'em, Mike!! :)

Reaction Score
Agree and hope you are right.
He is the first dose of leadership this conference has had.

As I said earlier, he is one big reason I am happy Uconn is still in the be.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Agree and hope you are right.
He is the first dose of leadership this conference has had.

As I said earlier, he is one big reason I am happy Uconn is still in the be.

I think the future of the Big East is relatively bright. Of course, a big chunk of that "brightness" is going to rely on whether they can devise a way to keep all the teams in it (larger exit payment, GOR, etc.). But I really do feel a lot of excitement in starting up this new league, and quite honestly, next year can't get here soon enough (probably has just as much to do with us being 3-5 right now too)...

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Nice find.

Some key points -

Re: conference alignment.

"Minimize travel, keep identities and traditional rivalries."

"Louisville and Cincinatti aren't traditional Eastern teams so we have a way to make things work."

Interesting. I'd like an East/West division.

Re: TV Contract

"Discussions are good with ESPN, we hope to get something done...
we have had a lot interest from other networks...
over 300 bb games, over 100 FB games plus championship game at home of best team...
have not ruled out a BE network and have spoken with partners about it..."

Goals for Schools:

Financial Security
Resources
Exposure

Reaction Score
didn't realize this exclusive window included CBS as well...
I'm thinking he may have some understanding of the contract that might help the negotiations along if that's the case.

Is it at all possible the BE actually hired the right guy? Of course, a deal needs to be agreed upon, but it seems that on so many levels, Aresco is the right guy at the right time. that hasn't typically been the case with the BE leadership.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Heard the commish on the Tim Brando show on Yahoo radio this morning. He said the same stuff as in this video but added that he has a hard-on for Rutgers' team this year.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Hard not to think about how different things may have been for the BE if we would have had a guy like Aresco on board 5 years ago.

Reaction Score
If we had Aresco five years ago, today this board would be trashing him for not having thown out Notre Dame, Providence, etc., and our contract being worth less than that of conferences that more fans watch.

I don't doubt he would have done a better job, but it would have only increased revenue somewhat -- not change the underlying realities and weaknesses of our conference.

Reaction Score
If we had Aresco five years ago, today this board would be trashing him for not having thown out Notre Dame, Providence, etc., and our contract being worth less than that of conferences that more fans watch.

I don't doubt he would have done a better job, but it would have only increased revenue somewhat -- not change the underlying realities and weaknesses of our conference.

And you know this how?

Reaction Score
And you know this how?

You have trouble discerning that when someone states what would happen if a historical fact was different they are voicing an opinion? If so, you're an idiot. More likely, you're just a jerk. But thanks for a wonderful addition to a discussion about UConn football.

Reaction Score
You have trouble discerning that when someone states what would happen if a historical fact was different they are voicing an opinion? If so, you're an idiot. More likely, you're just a jerk. But thanks for a wonderful addition to a discussion about UConn football.

Uh oh. I think businesslawyer's had a few. LOL

Reaction Score
Well, I had not previously heard an extended conversation with Aresco, but I had heard several by Marinatto. The terms "night and day" come to mind. There is little question that this guy would have made a big difference had he been the voice at the table over the years. His command of the system, TV, his relationships, his negotiating experience and his gravitas ---compared to Marinatto---is hard to deny.
So here's an analogy from an SAT exam: Marinatto is to Pasqualoni as Aresco is to ?. The difference in leadership, attitude and smarts between Commissioners would/could be just as large with a new head coach. It's easy to get accustomed to mediocrity, until someone comes along to dispell it.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The answer to your analogy is the Cincy OC by the way

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

Disagree. I think he would have been more proactive in protecting the reputation of the league. Not allowing the Big East bashing to go unchallenged and trumpeting our triumphs would have gone a long way toward improving our current perception. I also think that he projects competence. That would have helped regarding defections and getting everyone on the page. I also would have preferred having an adult involved in bowl negotiations. I expect that would have helped us to develop better bowl relationships.

I agree that tv numbers are an important driver but a better tv deal with better slots would go a long way toward improving that number.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score

I don't agree. What if Aresco was able to negotiate a deal with ESPN and the league approved it? At least Pitt, Syracuse, WVU and TCU would still be here. Aresco is also the BE's first step away from the Gavitt tree of commissioners which, I think, was a step away from the ideals that helped castrate this conference.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I agree and disagree with you!

I disagree with your assumption, even if it was your opinion, that a lot couldn't have been done. Aresco is the type of hire that should have been made a long time ago. Certainly the BE was alway a difficult ship to navigate, but he would have handled the rough seas. Analogies are because of Sandy. I doubt the defections would have happened if he was handling the helm.

I agree with your assertion that people on this website would have found something to complain about no matter how good or bad a job he performed.

Reaction Score
I agree and disagree with you!

I disagree with your assumption, even if it was your opinion, that a lot couldn't have been done. Aresco is the type of hire that should have been made a long time ago. Certainly the BE was alway a difficult ship to navigate, but he would have handled the rough seas. Analogies are because of Sandy. I doubt the defections would have happened if he was handling the helm.

I agree with your assertion that people on this website would have found something to complain about no matter how good or bad a job he performed.

I think I was very clear, but in case I wasn't, I was proffering my opinion that things would not be that different. I have no issue whatsoever with you or anyone else believing something different. There are no right answers as to how an alternative universe would have played out.

The post that angered me was not a disagreement -- it was someone just wasting time picking a fight towards no end. And a person who, at least with me, finds the need to do it repetitively.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I think I was very clear, but in case I wasn't, I was proffering my opinion that things would not be that different. I have no issue whatsoever with you or anyone else believing something different. There are no right answers as to how an alternative universe would have played out.

The post that angered me was not a disagreement -- it was someone just wasting time picking a fight towards no end. And a person who, at least with me, finds the need to do it repetitively.
You were very clear. I just chose to bounce a laugh about the Boneyard off your post. I knew your post was an opinion and as you correctly stated there is no right answer since nothing can be proven.

Reaction Score
You were very clear. I just chose to bounce a laugh about the Boneyard off your post. I knew your post was an opinion and as you correctly stated there is no right answer since nothing can be proven.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom