Found a distraction today | The Boneyard

Found a distraction today

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
After reading some of the threads here I was even more depressed than after the game. Fortunately I have a distraction. A fox, for the last 3 years, has made her den about 200' from our house and had her litter of kits (2). The kits are still small and don't come out much but mama goes hunting all the time and sometimes just sits near the den's openings.
So I got my chainsaw out and spent an hour clearing brush and small trees in the line of sight from a window in our house. Gives me a better shot at her but they are still in the woods so a lot of branches still trying to fool my auto focusing. . .

I suggest everyone find something to concentrate on other than the game, for their mental health :)

upload_2018-4-1_19-34-18.jpeg

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
We have a fox den in one of our horse pastures and last year we had set up a couple of trail cams to watch them. They too had kits last year, 3. It was cool "watching" them.
And...last spring we discovered a newborn fawn in our llama/billy goat field. We got to see mommy nursing the fawn almost daily and then jumping the fence and into our woods. Well, it's now almost a year later and the "fawn" is still in the field and is very close with the goats, actually following them around, even into their barn. We don't think that he's ever attempted to jump the fence and his mommy still visits.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
After reading some of the threads here I was even more depressed than after the game. Fortunately I have a distraction. A fox, for the last 3 years, has made her den about 200' from our house and had her litter of kits (2). The kits are still small and don't come out much but mama goes hunting all the time and sometimes just sits near the den's openings.
So I got my chainsaw out and spent an hour clearing brush and small trees in the line of sight from a window in our house. Gives me a better shot at her but they are still in the woods so a lot of branches still trying to fool my auto focusing. . .

I suggest everyone find something to concentrate on other than the game, for their mental health :)

View attachment 30324
We had a pair living in the woods behind our house a few years back. We would put out scraps when we had them at the far end of the yard, and the female would come and get them and take them away. She slowly started to just stay and dine right there, and she did so even when we would sit on the porch and quietly observe. She began to make regular patrols and soon came every night. she had kits and would bring them to the edge of the woods and let them eat a bit. Finally one evening she brought them out to the middle of the clearing and let them eat while we watched. She came around for about two more years, but then our neighbors got a dog and the foxes avoided the area. Still come around, not the original of course, but not nearly as often and never stay to eat. Great experience while it lasted.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
when you said "shot"... I was gonna ask do you bake, fry or grill them

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There was a fox and some kits on my dog walk last year. As I went by the mom would hustle them all back in the woods at first but after awhile they got used to us. On time the mom was up on a little hill and the kits would take turns rolling down the hill and running back up to the top and rolling again. It was fun to watch.

Last edited:

Oldbones

Hates Surprises
Reaction Score

View attachment 30324
Like scheduling Marist College for next season?
th

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
We have various critters who make appearances outside our house including fox, deer, turkey, coyotes and at least one wayward bear.

While we haven’t actually seen the bear, the evidence of his existence was fairly startling. We use to have a bird feeder on a 1 1/2” steel pole in our back yard. One night last fall, just before hibernation season, a bear bent the pole into a horseshoe and emptied out the feeder.

I was pretty impressed.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Don't have any in my yard or neighborhood (as far as I know anyway), but I've had a few very close up encounters w/ foxes on trails or on the edge of a road. Very cool critters. Saw a mom nursing a kit on a snowbank right beside the road in Mt. Rainier National Park several years ago. At the risk of anthropomorphizing, she seemed to be beaming w/ motherly pride. She was looking right at me, she was very aware I was there.

Reaction Score
I put out a few battery powered cams in my yard. I was wondering why I always had a path worn in my backyard
Between my house and garage;
5 raccoons
2 skunks
1 possum
6 cats
1 woodchuck
It's like a parade all night , every night... average about 75 videos a night and I'm right in the center of town , no woods really...

During the day, squirrels and 1 cat

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom