Fouls | The Boneyard

Fouls

Reaction Score
Fouling is going to play a key role in the win tonight. We need to minimize our fouls with our bigs and control our turnovers like the NCS game. Not having Dorka makes it all that much more important. On the other hand Stanford has a few players who tend to get into foul trouble. Brink, Lexie Hull and Belibi. I hope we can exploit that. Go Husky’s!

Womens Basketball Sport GIF by NCAA Championships

Aluminny69

Old Timer
Reaction Score
Watching the N.C. State game, I was wondering how much time the coaching staff watches game replays with players, examining each foul call, and how to avoid them. For example, ONO's first two fouls were completely avoidable. On the first, she reached in after her player beat her, was that really worth it? The second foul was just jockeying for position, not even directly involved in the play. Seems you could do that without getting caught. Don't even get me started on Edwards jumping out, late, and fouling a three point shooter, especially when the shot wasn't even close. They could also discuss why opponents were not called for fouls.

Where the coaching staff disagrees with foul calls, after watching replays, there should be some recourse with the people in charge. Refs need to be held accountable too.

Reaction Score
UConn also needs to make their FT’s. In a 9-pt win over TX in the Elite 8 game, Stanford was 18/22 from the FT line, while TX was only 10/20.
Totally agree!

Reaction Score
If Brink gets into foul trouble, UConn just may have a chance

sun

Reaction Score
Fouling is going to play a key role in the win tonight. We need to minimize our fouls with our bigs and control our turnovers like the NCS game.
Watching the N.C. State game, I was wondering how much time the coaching staff watches game replays with players, examining each foul call, and how to avoid them. For example, ONO's first two fouls were completely avoidable.

Sometimes fouling is good, such as when it puts a poor foul shooter on the line.
Not in every case but sometimes.
UConn can end up gaining possession without any points being scored by the other team.
Or maybe only 1 point will be scored instead of 2.
Then the foul amounts to being almost equal to a defensive stop or a change of possession.
Fouling isn't as much of a problem if a team has a deep bench with subs that have fouls to give.

Part of the trick is to be willing to play your bench a little bit.
By limiting some of the fouls on the starters, then they can play slightly more aggressive defense without worrying as much about fouling out after they re-enter the game.
The game is supposed to be a chess match by using players strategically to create an advantage.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
We had a couple weeks of games, including the BE tournament, in which UConn was locking down the opponent defensively. Pressure on the ball, in the passing lanes, and fronting the posts. Then the bigs have to come further out to get the ball. UConn was destroying people. Remember Siegrist shooting airballs from 25 feet.
Can't UConn do that against Stanford, Louisville, and SC. IMO our Achilles Heel is dribble drive. Not sure that's the strength of any of these teams. I can picture Nika shutting down any of these players- Henderson, Cooke, Hull, even Jones and Van Lith.
Frankly, Wilson could be in trouble.
That's what I want to see. I am not as concerned about fouls, except obviously Liv and AE. But if the pressure's out front, that means less pressure on the posts. UConn has 25 fouls at the guard position. Stanford can shoot FT's but I want to see pressure. Take them out of their stuff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom