Foul with 3.5 seconds left | The Boneyard

Foul with 3.5 seconds left

Reaction Score
Agree it was a good foul. I would have made both instead of intentional miss. Immediate foul. At least u get a heave to tie. Until I see a team that fouls and ultimately loses a game I don't know why everyone would not do it.

Reaction Score
Agree it was a good foul. I would have made both instead of intentional miss. Immediate foul. At least u get a heave to tie. Until I see a team that fouls and ultimately loses a game I don't know why everyone would not do it.
Problem is Carolina had no time outs. You always need to save 1 for the last 3 seconds if you need to stop the click

Reaction Score
I thought he fouled too late, the SC guy had the ball in a shooting position behind the arc. If he makes one move up as the GU guy goes for the foul it's three shots. I'd have fouled around 6 seconds when SC had the ball in a non-shooting position.

Reaction Score
I've seen plenty of times when a team fails to inbound or does but throws to the wrong team. I agree with Jim, too much has to happen after the foul. If they miss the second, you need to rebound too. You force yourself to inbound if they make the second and a lot can happen with that too. I dunno, just play good D (trust the D).

Reaction Score
I watch a lot of games. Quite frankly I have never seen a team that decided to foul late lose. I have seen plenty of made threes to tie and eventually the team loses in OT. I can remember at least 1 prominent uconn game that went in our favor many years ago.

Reaction Score
South Carolina had a shot and they didn't take it for some reason.

Reaction Score
I think Calhoun is arguably the best coach ever and he would never foul there, it's the one thing I always thought he was wrong on. Good on Few to make the right call.
I agree. I mean if you let them shoot the three, one of two things are going to happen, you either win, or youre about to play 5 more minutes. The chances of that are 50-50. Idk what the odds are for a team to make the first free throw, intentionally miss the second which is not easy to do, and then rebound and get a shot off in time. I would take my chances with the other team having to do that instead.

Reaction Score
No way we would be smart enough to foul there. Great coaching by Mark Few.
KO did have us foul there in a similar situation this year actually. I agree with the rest of you, it is such a sound strategy. I'm surprised we don't see it a lot more often.

Reaction Score
South Carolina had a shot and they didn't take it for some reason.
They did, Gonzaga waited a few seconds too long to foul. Should've come around 6 seconds or so while the ball was well outside the arc.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
No way we would be smart enough to foul there. Great coaching by Mark Few.
stupid thread ridiculous statement and yes KO has fouled in that circumstance before
Few is a very good coach

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I've seen plenty of times when a team fails to inbound or does but throws to the wrong team. I agree with Jim, too much has to happen after the foul. If they miss the second, you need to rebound too. You force yourself to inbound if they make the second and a lot can happen with that too. I dunno, just play good D (trust the D).

Yeah, I'm in the no foul camp. Dead ball situations can be dicey late in college games. Just lock it down and force the offense to make a play.

Reaction Score
You wait until the last moment to foul. SC had no time outs left. With 2.8 seconds to go even if Gonzaga missed the only way for SC to score would have been a full court heave. I coached HS hoops and always saved a TO for an end of game situation where we might have to stop the clock. If you foul with 6 seconds to go your opponent can get a good shot.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I think generally if you have a smart enough team, the best thing to do is foul, and Gonzaga executed it perfectly.

I do think it is more case-by-case scenario than some people make it out to be. It depends on your roster,their roster, the flow of the game, the game situation, etc.

There are times I think not fouling is the better idea, but it's situation dependent.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom