Former UConn recruit in the portal- S. Brunelle | The Boneyard

Former UConn recruit in the portal- S. Brunelle

Reaction Score
She was #1 prospect in the country at one point, there was debate as to whether or not Geno ever offered her.

She was a borderline bust at Notre Dame, hasn't started a game since Freshman year, had some injury stuff too. I think she winds up at a lower Power 5 team, like VA, VA Tech, Wake etc..

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
The recruitin started out seemingly very hot, and then just sort of petered out with little indication of ongoing contact.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately for Brunelle, she peaked in around 9th or 10th grade when she was nicknamed “Baby Delle Donne.” She was pretty clearly the top, or at least one of the very top, players in 2019 at one point.

In her second go around with the FIBA U17 team it was evident that she was passed by players like Haley Jones, Jordan Horston, and Aliyah Boston. I still think she could be impactful on an NCAA tournament-type team, but I’m not sure she’ll ever be a go-to player on a solid team.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
She was #1 prospect in the country at one point, there was debate as to whether or not Geno ever offered her.

She was a borderline bust at Notre Dame, hasn't started a game since Freshman year, had some injury stuff too. I think she winds up at a lower Power 5 team, like VA, VA Tech, Wake etc..
That's the way I see it too. She can help somebody. She couldn't get off the bench at ND. I was surprised because she got a lot of hype coming out of HS. I guess we could call it "Fake news" :eek: She'll land on her feet somewhere. Players want to play!!! :)

Reaction Score
Sam was a nice player for ND, just not the star that was expected when she joined them as a top recruit. Too slow to be a 3 and to short with no real hops to be a 4, she basically became a spark of the bench for her outside shooting abilities. She should be a major contributor in a lower power 5 team.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
The recruitin started out seemingly very hot, and then just sort of petered out with little indication of ongoing contact.
Sam's performance also declined drastically specifically at USA basketball where she came down an age group and was expected to anchor & lead the team but she became a dreadful shooter. In HS school basketball there were also tales of her being beasted by a HS freshman player during a VA state tournament run. In the ESPN ranking Sam fell from #1 to 11 (?) and there were some (me included) who though she should have fallen a lot further down the rankings. Classic case of player being ahead of the Pack as Freshman or Sophomore in HS but by Junior and senior year many in the pack has passed her up.

Reaction Score
Sam's performance also declined drastically specifically at USA basketball where she came down an age group and was expected to anchor & lead the team but she became a dreadful shooter. In HS school basketball there were also tales of her being beasted by a HS freshman player during a VA state tournament run. In the ESPN ranking Sam fell from #1 to 11 (?) and there were some (me included) who though she should have fallen a lot further down the rankings. Classic case of player being ahead of the Pack as Freshman or Sophomore in HS but by Junior and senior year many in the pack has passed her up.
it seems she lost some of her athletic advantages her senior year in high school and various injuries at ND have forced her into a secondary role.............kind of a sad story.......

Reaction Score
She was ranked #6 in 2019 class.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
She was #1 prospect in the country at one point, there was debate as to whether or not Geno ever offered her

I read on the ND board that she had wanted UConn but the offer never came. I don't know how reliable the poster is.

Reaction Score
As you know, even before her college decline I didn't think she could be a rotation player at UConn. Whether she was never offered or if an offer was pulled back I don't know but it was the right move for UConn either way.

Reaction Score
She had a good Freshman season under McGraw, and it seemed like she had a lot of potential. Her shooting percentages weren't the best, but she was asked to carry the scoring load on a bad team (the other two high scorers were also Freshman). She had a variety of interesting moves as a Frosh, a lot of one-legged fadeaways, turnaround jumpers, etc. I thought she could improve her percentages, get into better shape, and utilize her playmaking skills more as she got older. Then McGraw retired and she also had injuries that slowed her down. Nielse's offense isn't a good fit for her. I think she has more game to her, but we will see. Good luck to Sam!!

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
As you know, even before her college decline I didn't think she could be a rotation player at UConn. Whether she was never offered or if an offer was pulled back I don't know but it was the right move for UConn either way.
I'm not sure I would go that far. Samantha would have been HS class of 2019 which means that she would have come in with or instead of Anna Makurat, Aubrey Griffin, and Evelyn Adebayo. She would also have been competing for minutes with Kyla Irwin as a Freshman. Anna was a two year starter, Irwin an occasional starter and Griffin was 6th man for those two season. I think Samantha could have performed as well as Anna or Aubrey and be a part of the rotation or start.

Reaction Score
She still follows UConn basketball on Instagram. Does she reach out to Geno, like Evina did?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I would go that far. Samantha would have been HS class of 2019 which means that she would have come in with or instead of Anna Makurat, Aubrey Griffin, and Evelyn Adebayo. She would also have been competing for minutes with Kyla Irwin as a Freshman. Anna was a two year starter, Irwin an occasional starter and Griffin was 6th man for those two season. I think Samantha could have performed as well as Anna or Aubrey and be a part of the rotation or start.
You’re probably right, I had forgotten how comparatively thin those teams were in talent versus this year. Still the right move though IMO.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
A fan on another board said that she got an offer but it was withdrawn when she delayed with it. For whatever the reason she turned pretty negative over UConn.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom