Former UConn Assistant Patrick Sellers Named Head Coach at CCSU | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Former UConn Assistant Patrick Sellers Named Head Coach at CCSU

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
Since the hiring of Sellers, I've been impressed by his ability to bring back some of their players who were originally in the transfer portal prior to his hiring.

Most importantly, Sellers will retain four incoming senior guards (Tre Mitchell, Ian Krishnan, Nigel Scantlebury, Zach Newkirk) who all averaged 20+ mpg and a total of 33.1 ppg.

Forward Stephane Ayangma (6.3p, 4.6r) is returning for a fifth year while two incoming juniors Xavier Wilson and Jamir Reed are still in the portal, but unclaimed.

Not bad for a team that has a combined nine wins in the last two seasons.

Reaction Score
Love the hire. Patrick is a very loyal guy and a hard worker. He will do The Grind. Chief wishes you great success. Best of luck Patrick!

Reaction Score
Last night, I went to the CCSU @ Sacred Heart game.

Aside from enjoying a local game, it was fun and rewarding to see Patrick Sellers finally land a head coaching job and get a chance to see him live.

First off, Sellers' demeanor is very different than Donyell Marshall's. The CCSU guys on the Boneyard are better sources, but the times I watched Marshall coached live, he has a passion that leaning on the side of anger. On the other hand, Sellers is more low key and calm while still showing a passion and energy.

Sellers and SHU coach Anthony Latina were assistants together at CCSU for, I believe, three seasons, so it was nice to see them chum it up prior to the game.

Stylistically, CCSU played at a much more controlled pace than what I'm used to from CCSU teams. There is noticeably more size than what I'm used to too. For example, previous years, CCSU would roll out lineups with their four guards at 6'4 and under.

With about 10 minutes to go, CCSU was down by 25, but they fought back to lose by only 8, so it was nice to see the team show moxie despite playing a superior team.

Of course, I wish Sellers the best of luck. It's cool to see a well-deserving guy get a chance to coach at his alma mater.

Reaction Score

Aside from enjoying a local game, it was fun and rewarding to see Patrick Sellers finally land a head coaching job and get a chance to see him live.

First off, Sellers' demeanor is very different than Donyell Marshall's. The CCSU guys on the Boneyard are better sources, but the times I watched Marshall coached live, he has a passion that leaning on the side of anger. On the other hand, Sellers is more low key and calm while still showing a passion and energy.

Sellers and SHU coach Anthony Latina were assistants together at CCSU for, I believe, three seasons, so it was nice to see them chum it up prior to the game.

Stylistically, CCSU played at a much more controlled pace than what I'm used to from CCSU teams. There is noticeably more size than what I'm used to too. For example, previous years, CCSU would roll out lineups with their four guards at 6'4 and under.

With about 10 minutes to go, CCSU was down by 25, but they fought back to lose by only 8, so it was nice to see the team show moxie despite playing a superior team.

Of course, I wish Sellers the best of luck. It's cool to see a well-deserving guy get a chance to coach at his alma mater.
I feel like Patrick was scapegoated here, it’s nice to see him get another chance. I knew Rod in college, the Sellers’ are a great family. I hope he sticks at Central for a long time to come.

Reaction Score

Too bad Christian Laettner isn't an opposing coach these days.

Reaction Score
Absolutely. A Chris Carter told NFL prospects, you need a fall guy in your crew.
I feel like Patrick was scapegoated here, it’s nice to see him get another chance. I knew Rod in college, the Sellers’ are a great family. I hope he sticks at Central for a long time to come.

I don’t feel Patrick was scapegoated. Rather he demonstrated loyalty and self exiled to Nike China. I will always admire Patrick for his loyalty and friendship. He is a man of his word and one you can trust.
I know Coach Calhoun thinks the World of him and I am so happy he got this well deserved opportunity. Those two thoughts are not unrelated.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom