Former Texas AD says Big 12 should add more teams | The Boneyard

Former Texas AD says Big 12 should add more teams

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“I think there's going to be some movement again in the next two, three, four years. I think things will change again. How that happens or when that happens, I'm not sure. But I think maybe the Big 12 probably needs more members.”

1606923685403.png

Reaction Score
Waaaa, P5 will never want us, waaaa. Our football sucked since Diaco and because of that, the P5 don't want us. Waaaa.

The Big Ten is proving they don't need football powers anymore. Adding more will only probably irk fan bases. Look at Nebraska.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
If the money is right, big if. Nebraska will move back into a league with TX and OU provided such a thing will exist at that time.

Other than that, much ado about nothing. Same environment means the same result. No one will join a weak B12 that B12 would want to invite.

Reaction Score
If the money is right, big if. Nebraska will move back into a league with TX and OU provided such a thing will exist at that time.

Other than that, much ado about nothing. Same environment means the same result. No one will join a weak B12 that B12 would want to invite.
How about Cincinnati? Would be a good geographic partner for outlier West Virginia.

Reaction Score
Texas probably has it's eyes on the Pac-14, at the same time.

Reaction Score
Since all this crap is about markets now, hypothetically, Texas and New Mexico (or UNLV/Nevada) would be a plan for the Pac-14. Oklahoma should rather be in the SEC; heck, the southeast is the ancestral land of the nations (not tribes) pushed into Oklahoma. This 500 years war won't be forgotten in the future, so might as well get it right now. OU fans want to go to the SEC rather than care for Big 12 expansion.

Leaves 8 and room for 6 to reach 14. Cincinnati, Houston, Memphis, USF, UCF and Temple (or Tulane) would suffice. I do not think UConn would want to be in the Big 12 without Texas and Oklahoma. UConn would fit in way better with the ACC or Big Ten. The remaining and reconfigured conference can be comparable to the Big 8. I wouldn't see it as weak.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Future Big 12: Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, OK State, TCU, Texas Tech, WVU, UCF, USF, Houston, Cincinnati, and Memphis.

CL82

Reaction Score
Waaaa, P5 will never want us, waaaa. Our football sucked since Pasqualoni and because of that, the P5 don't want us. Waaaa.

The Big Ten is proving they don't need football powers anymore. Adding more will only probably irk fan bases. Look at Nebraska.
FIFY

Reaction Score
FIFY
We had solid players during his time, which carried over until Diaco's Fish Oil Salesman RKGs took over. Fix that for yourself.

CL82

Reaction Score
We had solid players during his time, which carried over until Diaco's Fish Oil Salesman RKGs took over. Fix that for yourself.
1607208101949.png

CL82

Reaction Score
When did we have our biggest home crowd in UConn football history? I can't remember.
Me either.

Reaction Score
Future Big 12: Baylor, Iowa State, Kansas State, OK State, TCU, Texas Tech, WVU, UCF, USF, Houston, Cincinnati, and Memphis.

That's actually a strong league in both fball and bball. With the exception of Usf and maybe TT, i believe the rest of those teams have spent time in the top 10 in football in the past 5 or 6 years. Not many leagues can claim that.

Reaction Score
OU/Texas go...west or east? And what happened to state legislatures not letting OK State and TTU get left behind?

Reaction Score
OU/Texas go...west or east? And what happened to state legislatures not letting OK State and TTU get left behind?
I think there’s a chance they go west.
I think OK State, etc, tagging along is far from certain.

Reaction Score
Deloss Dodds is now a consultant for College Sports Solutions. UConn should hire the firm so it gets out of the basement of college sports and back into elite status for men's BB and FB. ACC, B10 is not out of reach if we act prudently. about-college-sports-solutions

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The "we need to expand" message comes out a week before SEC and ABC/ESPN announce massive new deal. Methinks someone might have had good info on numbers on the new deal and wanted to get ahead a bit on the messaging so expansion doesn't look so reactive. Even though it would be so reactive.

CL82

Reaction Score
The "we need to expand" message comes out a week before SEC and ABC/ESPN announce massive new deal. Methinks someone might have had good info on numbers on the new deal and wanted to get ahead a bit on the messaging so expansion doesn't look so reactive. Even though it would be so reactive.
I have to say, I'd rather be in the Big 12 than the AAC, but I'm so sure I'd rather be in the Big 12 than the Big East.

I know, I know the money is world's different but we'd be back to being on a crazy travel schedule that was really rough on the guys.

Yeah, I know, football would be back in the P5, but, frankly we need to build up a bit until it is ready to compete.

Yeah, I know certainty for the Athletic Dept, but the Big 12 is one of the least stable P5.

Just saying.

Reaction Score
If I'm the Big 12 and looking out at the landscape wondering who to take this is what I see....

Boise State - the most attractive option football wise. Everything else, meh.
Cincinnati - #2 hand's down. Dwarfed by OSU but still a good program sportwise
Memphis - #3 in Tennessee. Lots of FedEx cash but stadium is a joke and they're still Memphis State
Houston - #5 in Texas. Can fill Reliant Stadium with big teams coming in but still #5 in Texas
Central Florida - Biggest enrollment in the country but it's a commuter school. #4 in Florida. Big 12 can recruit there no problem.
South Florida - meh
BYU - no Sunday games. Non-starter.
Temple - I'd say #3 in Pennsylvania behind Penn St. and Penn. I've been to a few games there and never paid more than $7 for 2nd row seats.
UConn - we're just too damn far for this league.

This is just my opinion which when take that and add $1 will buy you a large diet Coke at McDonalds.

Reaction Score
If I'm the Big 12 and looking out at the landscape wondering who to take this is what I see....

Memphis - #3 in Tennessee. Lots of FedEx cash but stadium is a joke and they're still Memphis State
Houston - #5 in Texas. Can fill Reliant Stadium with big teams coming in but still #5 in Texas
Central Florida - Biggest enrollment in the country but it's a commuter school. #4 in Florida. Big 12 can recruit there no problem.
South Florida - meh
Temple - I'd say #3 in Pennsylvania behind Penn St. and Penn. I've been to a few games there and never paid more than $7 for 2nd row seats.

This is just my opinion which when take that and add $1 will buy you a large diet Coke at McDonalds.
Whaler Fan is right. UConn is just too far away and overall is not a good fit to be in B12. ACC and perhaps B10 much better fit.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I have to say, I'd rather be in the Big 12 than the AAC, but I'm so sure I'd rather be in the Big 12 than the Big East.

I know, I know the money is world's different but we'd be back to being on a crazy travel schedule that was really rough on the guys.

Yeah, I know, football would be back in the P5, but, frankly we need to build up a bit until it is ready to compete.

Yeah, I know certainty for the Athletic Dept, but the Big 12 is one of the least stable P5.

Just saying.

I'm assuming there's a missed "not" in the first sentence and should read "I'm not so sure I'd rather be in the Big 12 than the Big East.".

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

South Florida - meh

People tend to lump "the west" in as a generic region. Boise is over 1400 miles by car to OKC. Distance between Boise to many B12 cities isn't much different than distance from Hartford to those same cities.

B12 expansion is best focused on Cincy and UCF. Sure, they aren't #1 in their markets but it opens up markets.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom