Former Maryland AD Kevin Anderson goes behind the scenes of directing the school's ACC-to-Big Ten move | The Boneyard

Former Maryland AD Kevin Anderson goes behind the scenes of directing the school's ACC-to-Big Ten move

Reaction Score
Interesting overall read w/ one man’s thought @ the end:

-> ON WHETHER THE BIG TEN IS DONE EXPANDING

"I think so and one of the reasons why is the media partners aren't going to put any more money in the pot. So I know that the athletic directors and the presidents in the Big Ten and the SEC aren't willing to give up a piece of their share to bring somebody else in, unless ESPN or Fox, CBS, NBC come and say, 'OK, you could bring these people in and we'll give you some more money.' But the other thing is that, and this is just a speculation on my part ... You have an Oregon with one of the richest alumni in that in the world [Nike founder Phil Knight] who has an unbelievable company that promotes and works alongside intercollegiate athletics. And they couldn't get any traction in moving someplace. So that tells you something, right? It also tells you that you look at, this is all driven with the media markets." <-

Reaction Score
Neither Maryland nor Rutgers have had a winning season since joining Big Ten....money is good...fan fan experience ?

Reaction Score
Interesting overall read w/ one man’s thought @ the end:

-> ON WHETHER THE BIG TEN IS DONE EXPANDING

"I think so and one of the reasons why is the media partners aren't going to put any more money in the pot. So I know that the athletic directors and the presidents in the Big Ten and the SEC aren't willing to give up a piece of their share to bring somebody else in, unless ESPN or Fox, CBS, NBC come and say, 'OK, you could bring these people in and we'll give you some more money.' But the other thing is that, and this is just a speculation on my part ... You have an Oregon with one of the richest alumni in that in the world [Nike founder Phil Knight] who has an unbelievable company that promotes and works alongside intercollegiate athletics. And they couldn't get any traction in moving someplace. So that tells you something, right? It also tells you that you look at, this is all driven with the media markets." <-

Phil Knight, while a great supporter, may not be here for PK90. Regardless, he is worth over 40 BILLION USD and will likely leave a significant portion to Oregon. So, the Ducks have no need to worry about funding for a number of lifetimes.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Neither Maryland nor Rutgers have had a winning season since joining Big Ten....money is good...fan fan experience ?
To be fair Rutgers fans never had much in the way of enjoyable experiences at any point in time.

They at least got smart in men's basketball, hired a UConn guy to run the program and now at least are building something there.

Reaction Score
I don't follow Big Ten basketball...so I had to look at Rutgers.....last seasom they tied for 9th in conference...went to the NIT and were defeated in the first round by Hofstra. Rutgers was a #1 seed....big upset.

Previous season..they did go to the Dance...but lost in the first four.

Reaction Score
Interesting read. However, I think he misses the boat on some of the reasons Maryland left, perhaps intentionally.

1. The Maryland AD was in debt, and they had to be self-sufficient. Frankly, if this was the only reason to leave, they should have simply changed the rules and have athletics subsidized.

2. The president at the time, Wallace Loh, and the chancellor of the university system, Brit Kirwan (who was also a former president) had Big Ten connections. They were contacted by someone associated with the Big Ten and were made an offer to make the move.

3. The dynamics of the ACC (and other conferences) were changing. Maryland was becoming more of an outsider, and it was a good time to make the move. And it appears that the feeling was mutual from the other ACC schools and their fans.

4. There was no Hotel California style GOR at the time.

5. Perhaps they saw the changing landscape in college athletics and saw this as the best opportunity to get into the P2-3, I don’t think they would have made the cut in the “Mag 7” group.

If college athletics are going to a P2-3 model, the Big Ten is not done expanding. Mr. Anderson may not be connected to Maryland now, but it still may be prudent for him to divulge any expansion plans. I can see the Big Ten holding off for now, unless the PAC collapses big time in the next couple of weeks.

As to Billybud’s point, if he is referring to football and conference record, he is correct. Maryland came close a couple of times of breaking the .500 barrier, including last year. Such are the fortunes when going to a conference with tougher football opponents. This would obviously be the case if Florida St. makes the move to the SEC with an expectation to compete for championships and playing even tougher opponents.

Reaction Score
I don't follow Big Ten basketball...so I had to look at Rutgers.....last seasom they tied for 9th in conference...went to the NIT and were defeated in the first round by Hofstra. Rutgers was a #1 seed....big upset.

Previous season..they did go to the Dance...but lost in the first four.
They had highly ranked Purdue on the ropes in the Big Ten tourney, but couldn't finish them off. I suspect it broke their spirit and then they got punched in the mouth by Hosftra and couldn't recover. Nonetheless, they won the conference realignment lottery, and really nothing else matters. They are set for life. I suspect their fans know not to expect championships, and are content to finish middle of the pack, perhaps upset someone once in a while.

Reaction Score
Rutgers has started to win Olympic sport championships in the B1G the past few years. Something they were never close to doing until recently.

Maryland has won multiple Olympic sport championships in the B1G - near the top of the conference across the board. Maryland also has one regular season B1G Championship in Men’s Basketball and multiple regular season and tournament championships in Women’s Basketball.

If we are only looking at football, then yes, neither have a winning conference record any season yet. After this season, neither school will play Ohio State, Michigan or Penn State every year. That should help.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
If we are only looking at football, then yes, neither have a winning conference record any season yet. After this season, neither school will play Ohio State, Michigan or Penn State every year. That should help.
This will help tremendously. UMD will miss the top football schools in the east. It will allow them to grow a bit and get their feet underneath them.

I don’t mind them in the Big10. While UMD football hasn’t been very good in their time in the Big10, they have been interesting. They played Michigan very tough in the 1st half and pushed OSU to the brink last year. They had good QB play and usually have good athletes at the skill positions. Michigan’s recruiting presence in the DMV (along with NJ) has risen since they were admitted.

Reaction Score
My native language is football....where it seems that the native language on the Yard is basketball....

I rarely have a take on roundball.

Reaction Score

Bottom in Winning Seasosn...

Maryland....0-9
Rutgers......0-9
Colorado....1-12
Syracuse,,,1-10
Missouri....2-11
A&M..........3-11

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I have come to the conclusion that schools often suffer for buying into other schools/league's frame of view. Not that they adopt it but they no longer have control of their own. the ACC will prefer the Carolina schools. Big10 will emphasize the big state Us that founded it, that is to saw the upper midwest. So on. Further fans identify less with schools outside of that local framing.

What does that mean for UConn? Basketball will probably do worse, football is already in a tough spot and probably can only benefit as that frame is already out the window. the schedule has some local flavor but doesn't really gain or lose any by joining the big 12.

Either way, schools are coming to the conferences, not the other way around. They will always be strangers. UConn will always be a stranger in the Big12. In UConn's case the money would be worth it. I'd even argue that it would be beneficial to join an ACC without Clemson/FSU than to join the Big12.

edit: Heck, think of how long Penn State was treated as the stranger in the Big10.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Bottom in Winning Seasosn...

Maryland....0-9
Rutgers......0-9
Colorado....1-12
Syracuse,,,1-10
Missouri....2-11
A&M..........3-11

I knew about Nebraska but TAMU is surprisingly bad. Soon to be joined by the horns.

Reaction Score
I have come to the conclusion that schools often suffer for buying into other schools/league's frame of view. Not that they adopt it but they no longer have control of their own. the ACC will prefer the Carolina schools. Big10 will emphasize the big state Us that founded it, that is to saw the upper midwest. So on. Further fans identify less with schools outside of that local framing.

What does that mean for UConn? Basketball will probably do worse, football is already in a tough spot and probably can only benefit as that frame is already out the window. the schedule has some local flavor but doesn't really gain or lose any by joining the big 12.

Either way, schools are coming to the conferences, not the other way around. They will always be strangers. UConn will always be a stranger in the Big12. In UConn's case the money would be worth it. I'd even argue that it would be beneficial to join an ACC without Clemson/FSU than to join the Big12.

edit: Heck, think of how long Penn State was treated as the stranger in the Big10.
Big East basketball officials have been far from kind to UConn.

Reaction Score
I don't know FSU and their fans want out of the ACC despite winning a national title, yourself included, based on your posts about money, so you tell us?

Reaction Score
They are just paranoid they won’t have the money to compete. If they did, they’d quiet down real quick and go back to the Bobby Bowden line of thought and take the easier road to a national championship.

Reaction Score
I don't know FSU and their fans want out of the ACC despite winning a national title, yourself included, based on your posts about money, so you tell us?

I will tell you....FSU wants to remain relevant in football....something that Maryland, Rutgers, et al have not. Many conference changers grabbed money and fell into mediocrity..and actually never were terribly relevant

And, in the changing atmosphere, where two conferences will receive a billion dollars more over 15 years, worry that it will be difficult to maintain status.

But, also to be clear, FSU fans have always wanted out of the ACC. Before money was an issue...

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom