Former LSU Star Seimone Augustus Comments On Geno | The Boneyard

Former LSU Star Seimone Augustus Comments On Geno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
upload_2016-11-21_7-15-10.png

Seimone Augustus has her jersey hanging from the rafters at the Maravich Center, alongside the likes of Shaquille O'Neal, Bob Pettit and Pete Maravich.

Yet before Sunday, Augustus had not been back to her college arena in six years. She was in the building when her No. 33 was retired in 2010, but life has been busy and she hasn't been back.

And when she did make an appearance, it was as much to see the visiting coaching as it was to see her alma mater. Augustus has played on two Geno Auriemma-coached Olympic teams, winning gold medals in London in 2012 and Rio last summer.

The WNBA great has forged a strong bond with Auriemma and the feeling is very much mutual. Auriemma has talked glowingly about Augustus, who lingered outside the UConn locker room after the Huskies' 76-53 win over LSU.

"He's super intense and a brutally honest coach," Augustus said. "Some coaches kind of hold back. But he definitely lets you have it. I like that. He just expects greatness all the time. That's what I respect about him. I always wonder, if I had gone to UConn, could I have played for Coach Auriemma? And the answer is yes, I could."

[LINK] to the rest of the article including LSU game pics and presser snippet of Geno.

Last edited:

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Neat that she came in to visit with Geno and the rest of the staff (she got to know CD all the assistants who helped in various ways over the last 8 years with the NT.) - does her time on the NT with Geno and in MN with Maya give her honorary Uconn status? I say yes.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Augustus might be the most significant recruiting loss of Pat Summitt's tenure at Tennessee. It came down to Tennessee and LSU and Seimone chose to stay home. Playing the "what if" game, Augustus added to any of Tennessee's 2003-2006 rosters could have easily put them over the top for a title in any of those seasons. All of those Tennessee teams were strong title contenders but never took home the big one. She single handidly could have been the difference between 0 titles in Knoxville during those 03-06 vs. winning 3 or 4 of them. That's not to say she didn't have an amazing career at LSU, but that's still a tough one that I wish came to Knoxville. Outstanding humble player, she should go down as one of the all time greats with her impact at LSU and in the W.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
At the Final Four in NOLA, Diana talked about the women's game. She said it's nice when a player is compared to one of the great male players, but she said she'd like to see a different standard: someone compared to a great female player like Seimone Augustus, for example.

LSU did a nice recruiting job to get Sylvia, but Seimone was in their backyard. Part of their greatness was due to the coincidence that Seimone was local. If she had grown up in Texas or Georgia, she probably would have gone to school someplace other than LSU.

Reaction Score
Neat that she came in to visit with Geno and the rest of the staff (she got to know CD all the assistants who helped in various ways over the last 8 years with the NT.) - does her time on the NT with Geno and in MN with Maya give her honorary Uconn status? I say yes.
I agree with your honorary status for Simone Augustus but why stop there. I'm sure there are other WBB greats who think they should have played at UConn. It has to be a dilemma. Do I go to UCONN and take the chance of being a role player or go elsewhere and be the top recruit.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
I agree with your honorary status for Simone Augustus but why stop there. I'm sure there are other WBB greats who think they should have played at UConn. It has to be a dilemma. Do I go to UCONN and take the chance of being a role player or go elsewhere and be the top recruit.
There is a long tradition of honoraries on the Boneyard.

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
If she had gone to UCONN could she have played for Geno? Of course she could have since he is the coach at UCONN.

Reaction Score
If she had gone to UCONN could she have played for Geno? Of course she could have since he is the coach at UCONN.
I think when the other players play for him with USA they see both sides of him. The coach always searching for perfection so his players get the most out of their abilities on the court. But also is there for his players off the court no matter what team he is coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom