Former Husky Saylor to Ark. [merged thread] | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Former Husky Saylor to Ark. [merged thread]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I had a job offer once in Arkansas and after living in upstate NY and CT all my life, I felt I'd be going back into the Dark Ages.
Good luck. She'll need it.

Reaction Score
We may NEVER know ALL the reasons she decided to leave UConn. That's OK, we don't have to. We all are here in the Boneyard on a "need to know" basis. Some things are private, and we don't really need to know. We had nothing to do with her coming or leaving. She was not happy here. How can you be mad or angry at any student-athlete for wanting to leave a situation they no longer feel comfortable in?

She did the best thing she could do. She found another program that she felt was a better fit, and a place she would be happy at. At some point, the blush fell off the rose for her at UConn. By thee same token, I don't think it was necessary for her mother to "bad mouth" UConn in public on the way out. Somethings are better left unsaid and private.

Where ever athletes go, it's got to feel right. All the boxes have to be checked. Congratulations to Saylor and her family for doing what they felt was in HER best interest. I personally wish her and her family all the best during her time spent at Arkansas. I will follow her in the WBB box scores the next 4 years out of curiosity. This week we lost one and gained one (KK Bradford). We're even. :)
That was KK Arnold they picked up.

Reaction Score
Good luck to Saylor and congrats to Arkansas. This decision was so quick you wonder how long it’s been brewing. On the surface, it doesn’t look like the best landing place for her but if she’s happy, I am happy for her.

Reaction Score
I wish Saylor all the best. I really do mean that.

I also don't really mind that she has left as far as somebody we might miss. Actually, we will not miss her in the least bit. I think she has 'some' potential, but if somebody doesn't want to be here, then there is no loss in my opinion. Actually it is 'addition by subtraction'.

I think the things she does well, such as shoot, we have players who do that much better than she does. All the BS about academics and social life, etc I think are excuses to hide the pain of realism that hit her that she will not get much playing time during her 4 years here.

The positive is that we have a player that has left that didn't want to be here and would probably never contribute much anyway, and it opens up a scholly for a better player and a better fit.

Before you think I'm being harsh, if her mom can say what she said, then I can say what I said! At least what I said is pretty accurate. Any 18 year old kid that can't find a social life among 20,000 students...well that is on her not the uni!

Reaction Score
Just curious -- did you reach this conclusion on the basis of spending time in Arkansas? Or just based on reputation?
Spent 4 days there. Highlight of the week was kareoke at the local Holiday Inn

Reaction Score
Had snowmobiles before the kids came. Could ride them on County roads (Macedon). Hit 92mph once.

Reaction Score
NFL football (Bills)
Letchworth and Stonybrook Parks
Watkins Glen
Finger Lakes
Lake Ontario
Niagara Falls
Proximity to Toronto and NYC
Etc Etc Etc
...and Boston is a great town.

Reaction Score
And what are the attractions that are readily available in upstate New York and Connecticut that aren't available in Arkansas? I'm genuinely curious.
If you're genuinely curious, couldn't you just crack open google maps to see what's around a particular area and judge for yourself?

Reaction Score
I wish Saylor well. Sorry she felt like she didnt fit in and hope she finds her place. Her mom's comments about the social life and academics at UConn were odd considering the pandemic restrictions, but you dont choose your parents so...

Reaction Score
And Arkansas also has a very good social environment .. :p
Laugh Laughing GIF

Are we playing them next year? Just sayin!

Reaction Score
NFL football (Bills)
Letchworth and Stonybrook Parks
Watkins Glen
Finger Lakes
Lake Ontario
Niagara Falls
Proximity to Toronto and NYC
Etc Etc Etc
I agree on all of this, having lived in the Finger Lakes 10 miles outside of Ithaca. On the other hand, the climate yielded only about a livable month a year ,in the fall, humid summer followed by snow, snow, and more snow. They did produce wine but it was awful. There was significant decay but that was 50 years ago and a return visit 15 years ago saw a much revived area. What I remember most of short trips through Arkansas are mosquitos the size of robins in the summer and ice storms in the winter and too many Confederate flags. But then I am a Colorado guy, born and raised, seven years an exile, and happily back home these past 50 years. Home is where you are happy.

Papa33

Poster Emeritus
Reaction Score
I wish Saylor all the best. I really do mean that.

I also don't really mind that she has left as far as somebody we might miss. Actually, we will not miss her in the least bit. I think she has 'some' potential, but if somebody doesn't want to be here, then there is no loss in my opinion. Actually it is 'addition by subtraction'.

I think the things she does well, such as shoot, we have players who do that much better than she does. All the BS about academics and social life, etc I think are excuses to hide the pain of realism that hit her that she will not get much playing time during her 4 years here.

The positive is that we have a player that has left that didn't want to be here and would probably never contribute much anyway, and it opens up a scholly for a better player and a better fit.

Before you think I'm being harsh, if her mom can say what she said, then I can say what I said! At least what I said is pretty accurate. Any 18 year old kid that can't find a social life among 20,000 students...well that is on her not the uni!
Interesting way you criticize Saylor's mother' comments after dissing Saylor's abilities and potential, in a sense boo-ing her basketball and attitudes: "no loss" that she decided to leave; it's "'addition by subraction.'" Other Uconn players "do . . . much better than she does." Her reasons for leaving were "BS" . . . excuses that she will not get much playing time . . . " She "would probably never contribute much anyway . . . ."

All this after saying that you wish her the best, followed by slamming her motives. It's the nastiest bit of conjecture and character assassination directed at a student/player I've read on the Boneyard in the years I've been reading postings here.

Centerstream

I may not be the sharpest knife in the drawer, but
Reaction Score
Interesting way you criticize Saylor's mother' comments after dissing Saylor's abilities and potential, in a sense boo-ing her basketball and attitudes: "no loss" that she decided to leave; it's "'addition by subraction.'" Other Uconn players "do . . . much better than she does." Her reasons for leaving were "BS" . . . excuses that she will not get much playing time . . . " She "would probably never contribute much anyway . . . ."

All this after saying that you wish her the best, followed by slamming her motives. It's the nastiest bit of conjecture and character assassination directed at a student/player I've read on the Boneyard in the years I've been reading postings here.
Well stated.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Well, the academics at Arkansas must be incredibly good.
You learn something new everyday.
From Storrs, Connecticut to Fayetteville, Arkansas???? If she thinks there is nothing to do in Storrs, well Fayetteville isn't much better. I used to call on Walmart which is in Bentonville. We used a great B&B in an old mansion in Fayetteville. Reminded me of the old joke: I spent a week one night in Fayetteville. Nice town with a fantastic civic recreation. Perhaps there is more going on for college kids.
Academically: UCONN #63 U. of Ark #162

Reaction Score

I think you have taken this too far. I wish her the best. Her mom did diss the uni in a way. You can't say i dissed Saylor while at the same time saying she didn't diss Uconn.

You also missed the point of 'addition by subtraction'. That goes for any player that wants to transfer. If they don't want to be here, then it is best that they leave ASAP, which is why most coaches, Geno in particular, tries to get them on with their lives as soon as possible.

So any kid that doesnt want to be at Uconn, no matter how great they are, it is always best they leave as soon as possible. There is no loss, not because of their perceived lack of abilities, but because they simply don't want to be here. If fact, it is better that they leave as soon as possible.

I think Saylor has 'some' potential as far as a D1 player and not many kids can say that. I think she can shoot the ball, not sure about the rest (same opinion I have of at this point). But, even though she can shoot well, we still have players who shoot even better than she does, IMHO.

Yes, you make a point about the 'BS' comment I made. I just don't buy into the lack of academic engagement and the lack of a social life. Would she not have seen that last year? Does that mean that all 20,000 students don't have the social skills to interact with Saylor on the level she desires? Does the lack of academic engagement mean that all lecturers at UCONN lack Saylor's level of academic engagement she desires? I just doubt this and I think it probably has a lot to do with the fact that she fears a lack of playing time as well. That is usually the real reason (not always), for transfers. That is not a slam on Saylor or anybody else. You can still be a terrific player and not get playing time at Uconn.

As far as you last comment....I don't think you have read much on this board. If you think this is the 'nastiest bit of conjecture and character assassination directed at a student/player I've read on the Boneyard in the years I've been reading postings here'...I don't think you get out much.

Have I really done all that? Really? That much and that far?

This is what you should take from this:

Saylor is a player with some potential. Certainly a good player and can really shoot the ball, although we didn't see that last year, I do believe she can shoot. I also believe we have better players who can shoot even better than Saylor. As a result, her playing time could be limited in the future and it is likely, IMHO, that she is realising that now. The rest of her Mom's excuses or reasons or however you characterise it, could be seen as a 'nasty character assassination' on UCONN, as well as all their hard working lecturers, who apparently are not up to the job of stimulating Saylor's learning experience and all the students, who apparently don't have the necessary social skills to stimulate Saylor social experience. I just don't buy that. That is how I see it.

Being direct, like Saylor's mom was, is not being necessarily nasty. But I'm happy to agree to disagree. Peace

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom