Forgotten superstar comeback w/ a vengeance... | The Boneyard

Forgotten superstar comeback w/ a vengeance...

Reaction Score
So much attention on the yard as of recently has been placed on what we don't have as opposed to what we do have for next season, which is all well and good and filled with intriguing speculation.

Personally I feel this guy has been brushed under the rug a little bit and some have forgotten just how good he can really be. If the injury Gods are on our side next season, I couldn't be more excited for our backcourt. Could we see the 2nd coming of Bazz and Boat?

UConn Guard Alterique Gilbert - Practice 1

Reaction Score
So much attention on the yard as of recently has been placed on what we don't have as opposed to what we do have for next season, which is all well and good and filled with intriguing speculation.

Personally I feel this guy has been brushed under the rug a little bit and some have forgotten just how good he can really be. If the injury Gods are on our side next season, I couldn't be more excited for our backcourt. Could we see the 2nd coming of Bazz and Boat?

I've said this before. This board severly underrates rique. He's a star

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score

Thanks

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
He was looking great in that game vs Loyola before he got hurt - hitting 3s, stealing the ball, and attacking the basket. I believe he was leading the team in scoring in the 1st half. Hoping he will return to that form.

Reaction Score
He was looking great in that game vs Loyola before he got hurt - hitting 3s, stealing the ball, and attacking the basket. I believe he was leading the team in scoring in the 1st half. Hoping he will return to that form.
There were reports in preseason that in practice he was the best player. I think Calhoun was quoted as saying it. Could be wrong

Reaction Score
Guy has the talent, but everytime he's on the court we're going to hold our breaths about potential injuries.
Why? The only injury he's had was that same shoulder, and with the surgery he had there is no reason to believe he'll injure it again. He's not injury prone

Reaction Score
Why? The only injury he's had was that same shoulder, and with the surgery he had there is no reason to believe he'll injure it again. He's not injury prone

If he injures that damn shoulder again his doctors are going to get some serious criticism thrown their way. Excluding the shoulder and judging based off of his body type I seriously doubt he gets injured again at any capacity. Would be the worst spell of bad luck in a long time

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
He was one of our best scorers before getting hurt. Scored 14 in the Wagner game off the bench and kept us in that game, no one else but he and Larrier could score.

Yankees32123

'99, '04, '11, '14, '23
Reaction Score
Jalen, Alterique and Terry are all stars. We just need to fill the roster around them and need Cobb, Mamadou and Carlton to rebound and defend by committee at the 5. Vital and Anderson will be reliable. Polley is a wildcard, but can be very good. Just need 2 more bodies.

Reaction Score
He's great, but plays the same position as our other great player.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
He seems to have a study frame for his height, doesn't look wire-y or fragile in the slightest.

Reaction Score
We're one piece away from being very, very good I think. Adams, Gilbert, Larrier are all elite players if healthy. I have a good feeling about the Diarra we have now if his knees can hold up; the year of rest will help with that. Vital and Anderson will be hard-nosed, smart players. We'll make it work at the 5. If we got another high quality 3 or 4, like Alstork or that Brazeikas kid, we'd be set.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Sure... I hope so too.

Reaction Score
Please explain. What surgery did he have that would make you think there is no reason to believe he could injure it again?

Reaction Score
Please explain. What surgery did he have that would make you think there is no reason to believe he could injure it again?
I mean theoretically he could. But it wont just pop out again.

Reaction Score
He dislocated the same shoulder twice before coming to UConn. After the second time he had preventative surgery to keep it from happening again. He rehabbed all summer before his freshman year, then he promptly went out and dislocated it again just a couple games in leading to another surgery (and missing the whole season). I would say it's definitely something to be concerned about.

Reaction Score
0mYGLjG.jpg
I'm really looking forward to seeing Alterique injury free, he is Ryan Boatright 2.0 with his otherworldly verticle.

Reaction Score
I think Vital is the one to watch. He my not be on Rique's level but he right now is more advanced (i.e. experienced). I really think Vital helps AG in reducing any pressure, allowing AG to work himself into form. I expect Vital to be the best 6th man in the Conference. Obviously Malik respects him (LOL).

In terms of his status AG is still a 'freshman', but that's okay. AG already seems to be super confident like Jalen, and now Vital knows he belongs. The pickup of the experienced transfer now means our guard position is the best its been in many seasons.

Anyway, it all comes down to our Bigs, no matter how good AG will be. If they have good hands and can finish our assists go up. If they rebound well our fastbreak can be resurrected, or 2nd chance point opportunities increase. If they bring point production (eliminates any hedging and double teaming our guards) then we will win 25+ games. If they can block/alter shots, and protect the paint, well then Conference Championship (and more) awaits.

I'm a 'guard' lover so I'm happy anyway it goes down.

Reaction Score
It's funny but some people actually think a guy should actually, you know, produce before being declared a superstar. But hey we live in a world of participation medals now so I guess everyone is a superstar.

Horatio

I played high school football
Reaction Score
As someone on the board mentioned during the season, Alterique should be exempt from
Diving on the floor, etc.

Reaction Score
I watched every tape I could on Alterique and have never seen more impressive moves on a point guard. How he moves with the ball is special. His passing and court vision are f ing superb. I'm really high on this guy as you can see. Players are going to want to play with this guy after next year. Right now with Jalen and Terry and Christian that back court looks really good. Plus Anderson looks really solid. I'm psyched for next year. We will pick up 2 or 3 more players and be fine. Yes I know the front court needs some help but I have some faith we will score a couple quality players.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom