For those who want Dan Hurley to be accountable... | The Boneyard

For those who want Dan Hurley to be accountable...

Reaction Score
Here you go:

The men’s team, prior to Sunday’s smothering of Butler, had faltered in areas it takes the most pride in, defense and toughness, not to mention some significant limitations on offense. UConn had been exposed, again, in a number of ways Wednesday night in the second half at Seton Hall, this time under the watch of assistants Luke Murray and Tom Moore. Associate head coach Kimani Young also missed the game due to COVID.

“When you get back to where we took this thing back to where we were on the verge of being the No. 1 team in the country and had to settle for 2, I just think there's a certain pressure that comes with that,” Hurley said. “And then a mindset of, you better continue to get better even when you're at that level. I think as a coaching staff we just failed — I failed — these guys in terms of trying to do things to try to take the pressure off of them, and then the other failure was not forcing us to continue to improve.”

Reaction Score
Hurley has his faults for sure but I really think he’s going to keep working at it until he fixes his deficiencies in all facets. He’s much more introspective than we give him credit for and I think he wants to win for this program as much as any of us.

Reaction Score
It's still January. They can prove that they're turning the corner on Wednesday. Beat Xavier at home and we can start to write off that 3 week stretch as a learning experience. Hurley and co are good coaches. We have the pieces. Let's go

Reaction Score
Here you go:

The men’s team, prior to Sunday’s smothering of Butler, had faltered in areas it takes the most pride in, defense and toughness, not to mention some significant limitations on offense. UConn had been exposed, again, in a number of ways Wednesday night in the second half at Seton Hall, this time under the watch of assistants Luke Murray and Tom Moore. Associate head coach Kimani Young also missed the game due to COVID.

“When you get back to where we took this thing back to where we were on the verge of being the No. 1 team in the country and had to settle for 2, I just think there's a certain pressure that comes with that,” Hurley said. “And then a mindset of, you better continue to get better even when you're at that level. I think as a coaching staff we just failed — I failed — these guys in terms of trying to do things to try to take the pressure off of them, and then the other failure was not forcing us to continue to improve.”

This is an important piece for him. I'm not sure we saw him really hold himself accountable like this in previous seasons. Coaches improve just like players--this is a great sign.

Reaction Score
Pressure makes diamonds, Coach! Team need to learn to handle the pressure when March comes around.

During the abysmally losing period, the team got away from what they were best at, which are defense and team ball (pass and assist), uncharacteristically turned over too many. Could the hype of being top dog in the country pressure-alter how you play? I feel it’s more complacency or sense of entitlement, be it from players or coach. But what it’s apparent is that team’s offense became stagnant, defense sieve-like, too much one on one, too much 3 balls, and at times no communications.

it’s a long season and let’s get back to business, Let this be a lesson for the team and coaching staff, and let’s ramp up to the big dance!

Reaction Score
Here you go:

He has taken responsibility all along. The posters who said he didn't take responsibility have no idea what they are talking about.

Reaction Score
Coaching this team is waaaay different than last year's roster which had a lot of blue-collar veterans. Guys like Rj, Rese, and Whaley made their names by outworking people, by being tough, etc. This year we definitely have more skill, but I think coaching everyone up to their potential is going to take a little more finesse.

Dove

Part of the 2%, but 100% wood.
Reaction Score
Here you go:

So, he took his foot off the gas? Went easy in practice?

I cam away from the Seton Hall game, my first watching in 5 games, thinking they looked tired overall.

Reaction Score
I am both happy and concerned about this quote. I am glad he can publicly acknowledge his and the staffs shortcomings as it relates to the start they had and how to manage those pressures and continue to develop. But I am concerned that he essentially admitted a 14-0 start allowed Hurley (and his staff) to "buy into the hype". You've been here five years and haven't won an NCAA tourney game, there should be zero complacency. You also have JC at your disposal who could absolutely provide insight on how to handle good starts and increasing expectations. Overall I find it to be a net positive and if the staff is learning it can only help the team too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I am both happy and concerned about this quote. I am glad he can publicly acknowledge his and the staffs shortcomings as it relates to the start they had and how to manage those pressures and continue to develop. But I am concerned that he essentially admitted a 14-0 start allowed Hurley (and his staff) to "buy into the hype". You've been here five years and haven't won an NCAA tourney game, there should be zero complacency. You also have JC at your disposal who could absolutely provide insight on how to handle good starts and increasing expectations. Overall I find it to be a net positive and if the staff is learning it can only help the team too.
I'd really just like to know if JC thinks our point guard situation is a fatal flaw or something he could fix. I've wondered several times what he thinks about it. I'm sure Danny has talked to him about all of this. They seem to be very tight.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I don’t know how real this quote was but I remember someone posting something along the lines of JC saying “You’ll are ranked like a top 5 team, go out there and show them why.”

I like that mindset.

It’s good to see Hurley holding himself accountable first. Now unto being hard on his best players who need the extra coaching (Sanogo, Jackson). Sanogo made MAJOR improvements on Sunday though. Let’s see if he can keep it up when the margin for error is a lot smaller.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
This is an important piece for him. I'm not sure we saw him really hold himself accountable like this in previous seasons. Coaches improve just like players--this is a great sign.
Everything about each season has bumped him up against his all-too-out-in-the-open growing edges.

His strongest pattern has been not to repeat a significant recruiting falter - losing Kofi Cockburn to a later arriving program (Illinois); losing Precious Achiuwa after his transfer to an out-of-region prep program (IMG); having early-interest regional recruits choose elsewhere; not actively participating in the Transfer Portal in its first year of wide adoption; not recruiting a team-leader 2022 freshman PG when 2021 Diggins seemed like a misfire; losing roster members to the the Transfer Portal last spring.

In protecting turf, securing commitments, and out maneuvering other programs, he secured reclassification or early arrival for Akok, Sanogo, Springs, Floyd, and Karaban.

The geographic reach of recruiting has spanned the US and gone International.

The secured commitments for next season comprise his most well-regarded class yet, and the players are rising in their rankings.

2024 targets have been identified and are being pursued, including PG prospects that seem most directly to address the greatest identified program weakness in this and previous seasons.

This forum is quite robust in identifying where things have been problematic. Self-reflection, emotional maturity, and game pressure management all on this list. It's hard to imagine that the coaching staff is unaware of the issues that are regularly raised here.

The challenges will never cease.

Reaction Score
If anything, Hurley seems like he overanalyzes stuff and that, in itself, creates its own anxiety. I don't know if the guys played tight during the losses, but they certainly lacked freedom of movement.

Having Samson back is a breadth of fresh air. He moved well and adds another dimension.

Reaction Score
Pressure makes diamonds, Coach! Team need to learn to handle the pressure when March comes around.

During the abysmally losing period, the team got away from what they were best at, which are defense and team ball (pass and assist), uncharacteristically turned over too many. Could the hype of being top dog in the country pressure-alter how you play? I feel it’s more complacency or sense of entitlement, be it from players or coach. But what it’s apparent is that team’s offense became stagnant, defense sieve-like, too much one on one, too much 3 balls, and at times no communications.

it’s a long season and let’s get back to business, Let this be a lesson for the team and coaching staff, and let’s ramp up to the big dance!
UConn really became active and more assertive offensively especially with driving to basket and looking for opportunities inside. Karaban, AJ, Newton, Diarra, Hawkins all pushed play inside with great success. There still were opportunities outside. It was great to see and can be replicated.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Coaching this team is waaaay different than last year's roster which had a lot of blue-collar veterans. Guys like Rj, Rese, and Whaley made their names by outworking people, by being tough, etc. This year we definitely have more skill, but I think coaching everyone up to their potential is going to take a little more finesse.
And finesse will be essential toward success in pursuing 6 consecutive victories in this year's NCAA Tournament.

The ability to defeat opponents from a variety of post-season conferences has been the defining characteristic of UConn's 21st Century National Championships.

Being superficially tough(er) will only get us so far. Recall that we never had to meet Pitt teams that bullied UConn in OBE play. They invariably got bounced in a tournament game where battle-style Big East teams did not fare well with the refs. The same could happen to UConn in a game with closely-called fouls that puts key players early on the bench. Playing smart as a team will be essential, even as UConn seeks to avenge its road losses in the weeks ahead.

Reaction Score
Yup, Danny Hurley is not perfect. But some posters here refer to Calhoun like he was perfect, and won every expected game. Either they were not around or forget some of the stressful losses and stretches of games that had fans scratching our heads.
I remember JC's sit downs with the media and making comments like, "I can't put the ball in the basket", or "As much as you try to motivate these kids I can't force them play hard for 40 minutes".
I remember the game when we scored 9 points in the first half against UMess. And I remember his frustration when he kicked the scorers table. And there is the (my personal favorite) audible "hit the Mothe F'er!"
Bottom line for me is that coaches can do everything right to put players in a winning place but it doesn't always work the way fans want it to.
I want a coach who is passionate, skilled with a basketball background, demands the best effort from his players, and is dedicated to the program. Oh, and recruits aggressively!
Some can argue his skills but I like a lot of things about him. Can he do it? We'll see.
We can't fire the coach every time we lose a head scratcher.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Here you go:

This team, and both teams the last two years, at times looked like the weight of the world was on their shoulders. I'm not sure most college kids can respond to that positively. Hopefully Dan will find ways to get them to relax and have fun. Play hard, but you have to put a missed shot, foul or missed rebound behind you. They were really tight, which is why I'm hoping the Butler game reminds them that basketball is a game.

Reaction Score
Here you go:

That accountability is just not good enough for the Hurley-haters. Won't ever be good enough until he resigns and gives back all his contract money.

Reaction Score
Yup, Danny Hurley is not perfect. But some posters here refer to Calhoun like he was perfect, and won every expected game. Either they were not around or forget some of the stressful losses and stretches of games that had fans scratching our heads.
I remember JC's sit downs with the media and making comments like, "I can't put the ball in the basket", or "As much as you try to motivate these kids I can't force them play hard for 40 minutes".
I remember the game when we scored 9 points in the first half against UMess. And I remember his frustration when he kicked the scorers table. And there is the (my personal favorite) audible "hit the Mothe F'er!"
Bottom line for me is that coaches can do everything right to put players in a winning place but it doesn't always work the way fans want it to.
I want a coach who is passionate, skilled with a basketball background, demands the best effort from his players, and is dedicated to the program. Oh, and recruits aggressively!
Some can argue his skills but I like a lot of things about him. Can he do it? We'll see.
Yeah you know honestly, as much as I would love this team to go on a FF run (which I still think they are capable of doing), Hurley just needs to win 2 games in the tournament. Have to have to have to get that monkey off his back. He's had a good start so far this year of finally winning a tournament championship and beating Creighton. Those were 2 of the 4 things on the checklist this year. The next one is getting to the BET Finals (hopefully winning...) and advancing through the first weekend in March Madness.

He's 100% coming back next year, but if we are beginning the 2023/2024 season - which will be year 6 of Hurley- without a tournament win, questions will need to be asked lol. He got us out of the abyss, but coaches at UConn still have to win tournament games...

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
..the difference with that UMess game was that UConn turned the game around and won by 11!

Ya, it's glaring that this team needs to practice end of game scenarios. The players have looked lost and so have the games.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom