For Those Concerned About Our OLine Size | The Boneyard

For Those Concerned About Our OLine Size

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
There've been some posters concerned with the downsizing of our line.

There's also been several articles this week commenting on the size and experience (100+ starts) of the NC State Line.

Take a look at the two lines.

LT Bennett- 6'9" 309 lbs, NCSU Crisp 6'7" 312 lbs = Draw in size.
LG Greene 6'5" 309 lbs, NCSU Mattes 6'6" 306 lbs= Draw.
C Mateas 6'3" 293 lbs, NCSU Wentz 6'3" 301 lbs = 8 lb advantage for NCSU
RG Masters 6'4" 298 lbs, NCSU Allen 6'3" 322 lbs = 24 lb advantage for NCSU.
RT Friend 6'6" 295 lbs, NCSU Wallace 6'5" 304 lbs =9 lb advantage for NCSU.

NCSU has one position on their line that is significantly larger than Uconn. The other four are within 10 lbs of each other and Uconn hasn't updated weights since the spring.

I'm not worried about OLine size.

I would really, really,really like to see Uconn improve their push off the line on running plays this week. If we can that will be huge because NCSU has a large Dline with their DE's both 280 lbs+ and their DT's at 290 lbs and 310 lbs.

Technique can really help out against the pass rush and traps and sweeps and misdirections. No faking strength on the straight ahead pushes.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
For all the talk their size and the number of starts the oline has... they weren't very good last year. They were 91st in sacks allowed per game and 109th in rushing yards per game.

Reaction Score
I don't think it's a function of size as much as our offense is now so much different from the power running game we had up to just two seasons ago.

I think the group we have now for what Deleone is trying to do is fine. But, our depth, especially at OT is scarry thin.

Reaction Score
Size does not equal quality. You can be big and still be a turnstile.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
My biggest concern with our OLine is that it may take players a few years in DeLeone's system before they can accomplish what he wants from one play to another. My personal opinion is that he has overcomplicated things a bit too much and we would be far better off if the playbook were scaled back a lot and slowly increased over the next few years.

Against UMass we appeared to be able to dictate whatever we wanted on the opening drive (first drive of the season, likely as well rehearsed as any could be) but after that (by what appeared to be trying to run too much of the playbook) we never really got in synch again on offense. I hope we utilize a less complex offensive game plan against NCSU tomorrow.

Reaction Score
My biggest concern with our OLine is that it may take players a few years in DeLeone's system before they can accomplish what he wants from one play to another. My personal opinion is that he has overcomplicated things a bit too much and we would be far better off if the playbook were scaled back a lot and slowly increased over the next few years.

Against UMass we appeared to be able to dictate whatever we wanted on the opening drive (first drive of the season, likely as well rehearsed as any could be) but after that (by what appeared to be trying to run too much of the playbook) we never really got in synch again on offense. I hope we utilize a less complex offensive game plan against NCSU tomorrow.

I'm gonna reserve judgement on this until later in the year, but I tend to lean this way as well. I already miss the days of Foley's OL putting a helmet on a helmet.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
I may be "mis-remembering" but it always felt to me that Foley's lines were good at run blocking, but average to below average for pass blocking. Edsall seemed to be more about the run (including QBs), while PP likes more balance. Recently, RE recruited Nebrich/McCummings/Lorenzen...PP has recruited Cochrane and Whitmer. Last year pass blocking was awful...and Deleone decided if he is going to run a pro style offense they needed to change OL approach. Plus..now he has a QB to run a passing attack.

I know it was just UMass..but the pass blocking felt much better the first week than last year. Hopefully they find the run/pass balance.

Reaction Score

I lean this way as well. I know that you can win football games with zone blocking, but I'm just not sure it's as easy to learn, and thus as good a fit for the college game where practice time is so limited. So I'm hopeful, like Jimmy,. that by the end of the year DeLeone will have changed my opinion, but I'll sort of believe it when I see it.

I prefer telling the big uglies to fire out and hit the closest player to them.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I may be "mis-remembering" but it always felt to me that Foley's lines were good at run blocking, but average to below average for pass blocking. Edsall seemed to be more about the run (including QBs), while PP likes more balance. Recently, RE recruited Nebrich/McCummings/Lorenzen...PP has recruited Cochrane and Whitmer. Last year pass blocking was awful...and Deleone decided if he is going to run a pro style offense they needed to change OL approach. Plus..now he has a QB to run a passing attack.

I know it was just UMass..but the pass blocking felt much better the first week than last year. Hopefully they find the run/pass balance.

You make a good point. We were concerned about the "push" on the runs and might have lost sight of the fact that Whitmer was getting time to throw.

Reaction Score
I lean this way as well. I know that you can win football games with zone blocking, but I'm just not sure it's as easy to learn, and thus as good a fit for the college game where practice time is so limited. So I'm hopeful, like Jimmy,. that by the end of the year DeLeone will have changed my opinion, but I'll sort of believe it when I see it.

I prefer telling the big uglies to fire out and hit the closest player to them.

Well stated and my sentiments exactly. I do like simple, and goodness knows our offense is now anything but simple.

Really enjoyed watching games in the past (ND certainly comes to mind) where at the end of games defenses wanted no part of Hurd or Ryan, etc. barreling down on them. That is besides the ponit, but this is on P and Deleone to make work, because it's the strategic decision they made and with which they have to live.

Reaction Score
I was one who bemoaned the size of our OLoine. Looking over a depth chart database(yes I know these are reported sizes) and realized we are comparable to many teams. I was going on years past with big guys like Hurd as OGs. It seems in general OLines are getting a little lighter than I remember. The only conference were there appears to be a size advantage vs others would be the SEC.

pj

Reaction Score
I'm with Pasqualoni and DeLeone. Yes, practice time with coaches is limited, but the players can study playbook and film and work out together as much as they want. Most of them are here for much of the summer. As long as they have senior leaders who are up on the playbook and the coach's desires and can teach the other players, limited practice time shouldn't prevent them from becoming good at a scheme by the second year of running it. You do need intelligent and hard-working linemen however.

The starters appear to be fine as far as size, but the backups are small, especially at tackle. Let's hope we don't have to go to the backups.

Reaction Score
I'm gonna reserve judgement on this until later in the year, but I tend to lean this way as well. I already miss the days of Foley's OL putting a helmet on a helmet.

I'm not entirely convinced this is a technique thing and not a personnel thing. Replacing guys like Zach Hurd and Moe Petrus and Mike Ryan isn't going to be easy. Yeah, we had Petrus and Ryan last year, but it was a new coach, terrible QB who sacked himself constantly, etc.

I think we need another full year before we can really speculate with any degree of accuracy.

Reaction Score
I may not be first to mention this, but since our OL isn't lined up opposit their OL I'm not too concerned with how they line up sizewise. The size and experience of their line should be a concern. It's not a given that our DL will get pushed around, but they are relatively small without Stephen and Jennings, and much less experienced as well.

But we've got great linebackers who I expect to be all over the field tomorrow making plays.

Reaction Score
Put D Brown, Dixon or Todman behind this line and you have a top 25 running game. Got to have someone who can make plays or in the case of Brown/Dixon a balance of backs. LM is not a great breakaway guy nor a great short yardage guy; he's a 4.2 ypc guy at the college level. If the answer is wilddog; takes too much out of potential surprise throws/runs (McC throwing is more of a surprise if its a good throw). Need CW in on every offensive play.

Reaction Score
Put D Brown, Dixon or Todman behind this line and you have a top 25 running game. Got to have someone who can make plays or in the case of Brown/Dixon a balance of backs. LM is not a great breakaway guy nor a great short yardage guy; he's a 4.2 ypc guy at the college level. If the answer is wilddog; takes too much out of potential surprise throws/runs (McC throwing is more of a surprise if its a good throw). Need CW in on every offensive play.

Brown, Dixon, and Todman had the advantage of running through holes. If you sit in or near the endzone you'll see there weren't many holes opened up for McCombs last week.

Reaction Score
On the WTIC coach's show yesterday they interviewed Masters and Jory Johnson. Weight came up, and Masters said the listed weights are outdated. He said his weight was 320 before the start of camp and is now 310. Johnson said his weight is in the 230's.

It's probably safe to assume that everyone we wish were 10 pounds heavier probably is 10 pounds heavier.

pj

Reaction Score
On the WTIC coach's show yesterday they interviewed Masters and Jory Johnson. Weight came up, and Masters said the listed weights are outdated. He said his weight was 320 before the start of camp and is now 310. Johnson said his weight is in the 230's.

It's probably safe to assume that everyone we wish were 10 pounds heavier probably is 10 pounds heavier.

It's also probably safe to assume that they'll get lighter as the season progresses.

Reaction Score
With Edsall/Foley we would angle block and pull a guard to the hole. Petrus was great at this his freshman year and Hurd and Olivier were good at this as well. Getting better at pass blocking is crucial if we are going to take advantage of the pro set offense. Tomorrow will tell us alot if this an area of improvement with the O-line.

Reaction Score
I may not be first to mention this, but since our OL isn't lined up opposit their OL I'm not too concerned with how they line up sizewise. The size and experience of their line should be a concern. It's not a given that our DL will get pushed around, but they are relatively small without Stephen and Jennings, and much less experienced as well.

But we've got great linebackers who I expect to be all over the field tomorrow making plays.

You can't push around what you can't catch! Part of being a D-lineman is getting to a specific spot, before your O-line counterpart, and holding that spot in order to disrupt the play. Sometimes heavier D-linemen don't have the quickness and agility required to fulfill the assignment.

Reaction Score
There've been some posters concerned with the downsizing of our line.

There's also been several articles this week commenting on the size and experience (100+ starts) of the NC State Line.

Take a look at the two lines.

LT Bennett- 6'9" 309 lbs, NCSU Crisp 6'7" 312 lbs = Draw in size.
LG Greene 6'5" 309 lbs, NCSU Mattes 6'6" 306 lbs= Draw.
C Mateas 6'3" 293 lbs, NCSU Wentz 6'3" 301 lbs = 8 lb advantage for NCSU
RG Masters 6'4" 298 lbs, NCSU Allen 6'3" 322 lbs = 24 lb advantage for NCSU.
RT Friend 6'6" 295 lbs, NCSU Wallace 6'5" 304 lbs =9 lb advantage for NCSU.

NCSU has one position on their line that is significantly larger than Uconn. The other four are within 10 lbs of each other and Uconn hasn't updated weights since the spring.

I'm not worried about OLine size.

I would really, really,really like to see Uconn improve their push off the line on running plays this week. If we can that will be huge because NCSU has a large Dline with their DE's both 280 lbs+ and their DT's at 290 lbs and 310 lbs.

Technique can really help out against the pass rush and traps and sweeps and misdirections. No faking strength on the straight ahead pushes.

“@cnpatterson3: RT @jwgiglio: No Rob Crisp today for N.C. State, junior tackle did not make the trip for injury-related reasons”

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom