For the record. THE SIGN. | The Boneyard

For the record. THE SIGN.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
The topic of The Sign that caught the eye of someone (Marie Cornelius?) in Knoxville and took up a paragraph in the infamous 37-page Tennessee bitch sheet has reappeared here recently. Some new Boneyarders may be puzzled about all the fuss, so let me tell the story -- one last time!

For a couple years back in the day when EDD and others were being recruited, my daughter and I made home made cardboard signs welcoming recruits to First Night. It was all in fun and there was then no specific NCAA rule against it. (There is now :(.)

We composed the message(s) in limerick form, which was tough enough but to do one for Elena was a most daunting challenge. The result was something like this (using red and green markers):

"We welcome a recruit named Della Donne,
With a jump shot as pure as Thai Celadon.

And if she comes here,
We'll send up a big cheer:
'Mama Mia! Oh, Geno! That's-a well-a-done!'"

Elena and Ernie (dad) loved it, so I gave it to them and thus earned my 15 minutes of (in)fame. Fun while it lasted. :) Now I'm done.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Kib,
I personally hope it is not the last time because you tell this story because I love it. Ironically I got to know of you by reading that 37 pages of garbage before I became a poster on this board.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The recruits enjoyed seeing them. You and your daughter enjoyed making them. It was just the perfect storm of stupidity and overreach that led the NCCA to ban them. If I recall correctly, making the sign wasn't the issue but it was the nefarious act of handing it to the recruit that was the problem.

Reaction Score
So who will get the violation.... the fan? Or is the coach/athletic department supposed to violate freedom of speech rights of all the fans or anyone on campus? I'm not a lawyer but something about this rule smells fishy. :eek:

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
I thank you all for your gracious comments. Permit me to add that among the several others we did was one for Maya. I don't have the entire verse handy but the punch line was a wish that Maya become "a Husky high flyah." :rolleyes:

Maya's mom liked it so much that she took pics and contacted the Atlanta Constitution. I got a call about my garage sign industry and they actually ran a little story (with the pics) about it. Freaking amazing! :)

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
"Freaking amazing! :)"

What's truly freaking amazing is the pettiness of those that would even consider a hand made sign of no monetary value (sorry Kib) a problem. High level NCAA sports is rife with corruption and they got nuthin' better to do . . .

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
The topic of The Sign that caught the eye of someone (Marie Cornelius?) in Knoxville and took up a paragraph in the infamous 37-page Tennessee bitch sheet has reappeared here recently. Some new Boneyarders may be puzzled about all the fuss, so let me tell the story -- one last time!

For a couple years back in the day when EDD and others were being recruited, my daughter and I made home made cardboard signs welcoming recruits to First Night. It was all in fun and there was then no specific NCAA rule against it. (There is now :(.)

We composed the message(s) in limerick form, which was tough enough but to do one for Elena was a most daunting challenge. The result was something like this (using red and green markers):

"We welcome a recruit named Della Donne,
With a jump shot as pure as Thai Celadon.

And if she comes here,
We'll send up a big cheer:
'Mama Mia! Oh, Geno! That's-a well-a-done!'"

Elena and Ernie (dad) loved it, so I gave it to them and thus earned my 15 minutes of (in)fame. Fun while it lasted. :) Now I'm done.
And so are the LV!

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
"Freaking amazing! :)"

What's truly freaking amazing is the pettiness of those that would even consider a hand made sign of no monetary value (sorry Kib) a problem. High level NCAA sports is rife with corruption and they got nuthin' better to do . . .
Obviously the experts at the ncaa put a higher value on folk art than you do. I can see that poster selling for big bucks at Christie's, now that it has gained world-wide noteriety! I saw a six-inch piece of rope mounted on a board like a bass go for 50k, and it didn't even have a limerick! I just hope the DDs didn't lose the sign.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Just a reminder that every single rule in the NCAA bylaws has been voted on and approved by the schools.
True, but how those rules are interpreted is subject to the caprice of the NCAA.

Reaction Score
For as excited as the LV nation got over this subject, I recall they entertained a recruit about the same time and made Tshirts that referenced the recruit for the whole team to wear..... I cannot remember the recruit, though..... anyone remember?

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
For as excited as the LV nation got over this subject, I recall they entertained a recruit about the same time and made Tshirts that referenced the recruit for the whole team to wear..... I cannot remember the recruit, though..... anyone remember?

Ann Strother. Tennessee went to bizarre extremes to impress her (didn't work ;)).

Not to be outdone. Andy Landers (GA) went all the way to the Strother home in Colorado to present the family with a pink flamingo lawn decoration (didn't work either ;)).

P.S. Ann's sister posted a moving tribute to Ann on the Boneyard. Later, when several of us gathered in a restaurant in Malibu (Pepperdine game), who showed up? Ann's Mom and Dad! Coincidence? No, they had monitored our plans on the Boneyard! :)

Last edited:

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Im tickled for life for being a member of the 37 page report... (I think I had the last comment)

Reaction Score
I remember the incident well and

have tried to find the 37 page complaint thru Google and wiki to no avail.. Can someone help?

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I remember the incident well and

have tried to find the 37 page complaint thru Google and wiki to no avail.. Can someone help?
use the "search" feature provided on this website... I would help but I'm on my iPad mini and it's tough navigating

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
I have a pdf copy. Hopefully you can download it here. Click on the blue button.

THE COMPLAINT

Oh and it's 34 pages. Like everything else, things get exaggerated with the telling. ;)

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
I got about the first half. Damnably silly stuff!!! Petty to the max.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom