For the CT residents | The Boneyard

For the CT residents

Status
Not open for further replies.

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
There has been a lot of discussion on here about UConn's attendance.

For those who live in CT, how much is having games on CPTV (i bekieve that is the name of the station) factor? Do you find yourself staying at home for some games simply because of the convenience and availability?

Having a television contract is great. Other schools are in television frequent,y because of conference contracts with Fox Sports, but that is mainly for conference games. UConn is unique in that respect because of its television deal. But has this dampened attendance due to the convenience (and comfort) of a televised game? Or is it a matter of economics?

Just curious as to the Yard's opinions...

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
I'm sure that the TV coverage has had an impact but CPTV has been covering UConn for quite a few years and the attendance didn't start to decline until 6-7 years ago.

To answer your question - I no longer drive the 90 mile round trip to sit on a chunk of concrete in an alloted space that is 4" narrower than my ass (which isn't that big). I get annoyed at buying a bottle of water without a cap, knees in my back, no where to put stuff (a jacket) etc. The games at Gample are no longer worth the effort for me. Just recently, it seems like I watch the games on TV as much out of habit than anything else.

Reaction Score
The televising of all games may be a contributing factor, but it
surely can't be the whole story or even the greater part of it because
the UConn women have had all their games televised for years.

It may be the case that, in past years, the phenomenon of UConn
women's dominance was new and exciting so that, even though
games were televised, people went to the games just to be a part
of the exciting new phenomenon.

Now, perhaps, long time UConn fans have become a bit jaded, and
some of the old-time excitement has worn off.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
It's one issue out of many. The games have been broadcast for years, but this is the first year the games are shot in HD. This, plus the proliferation of HD televisions, absolutely makes staying home a solid option. Back when most people had TVs under 30", which really wasn't that long ago, attending a game, even in the upper bowl, was easily worth the expense and hassle relative to the experience of watching on the tube.

Reaction Score
I've watched the fan cohort I began with 13 years ago more and more frequently stay home, not simply because of television broadcasting, but big screen televisions (even before CPTV went HD) give you a great view of the game. Some of these guys still go to an occasional game, but their willingness to make the drive has visibly declined.

Blame Sony, LG, Samsung and others. Seriously. I don't think UConn's Athletic Department gets this idea that modern televisions are their competition for viewers.

The rapacity of the food vendors irks the living hell out of me. One year mini-pizzas were $3, then the next year they were $6. It's not that I can't affort the $6 (I used to buy multiple pizzas in a game) but the utter disdain shown the UConn faithful by this abuse is impossible to ignore. What happened - did the tomato sauce market get cornered by the Hunt Brothers?

Guess how many mini-pizzas I've bought at Gampel and Hartford in the last 3 years? That's right - zero. It's my little personal protest.

I've heard a lot of oldsters beyotch about the seats. It's a tribute to my butt that I haven't really felt this to be as important as others do, but perhaps UConn should remove this factor as an objection to live attendance. I don't know how they expect to collect parking fees and sell snacks to viewers watching at home.

Reaction Score

For those who live in CT, how much is having games on CPTV (i bekieve that is the name of the station) factor? Do you find yourself staying at home for some games simply because of the convenience and availability?

Having a television contract is great. Other schools are in television frequent,y because of conference contracts with Fox Sports, but that is mainly for conference games. UConn is unique in that respect because of its television deal. But has this dampened attendance due to the convenience (and comfort) of a televised game? Or is it a matter of economics?

Before the games were televised, most residents of CT didn't realize that there was a Women's basketball program.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We are in our second year of season tickets at the XL Center. We enjoy the live atmosphere of the games. It's only about 50 minutes to Hartford for us.

Food prices are what we expected. We usually arrive about 90 minutes before tip off and eat at either Coach's or City Steam. So the only thing we may buy inside is water.

Gampel is too far to drive for us. So those games we watch on the tube. And for Wonkster - we have a big screen mounted on the wall and yes, it makes viewing the games a real pleasure.

Unless you have seats close to court side, you do miss a lot of the action and detail.

As to drop in attendance, you start with the big season ticket holders who don't show up for whatever reason. Unless it's a real big game, a lot of those seats are empty in Hartford. Too bad they can't open those seats up after the game starts.

CPTV broadcasting the games has an impact as well as the economy.

Finally, we may be spoiled by the success the program has had. If that is the case, it's a shame. Winning championships should never get old. A quality performance on the court should never get old. Seeing young women excel and be roll models should be something we all wish to see.

Reaction Score
Does the aging of the fan base have an impact? The final four is in Denver and I am thinking do I want to go all the way downtown (40-45 mile round trip) or just watch it on tv? When I was young I wouild just go, but not now.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
Does the aging of the fan base have an impact? The final four is in Denver and I am thinking do I want to go all the way downtown (40-45 mile round trip) or just watch it on tv? When I was young I wouild just go, but not now.

I'm sure it does, but 40 miles RT in Colorado is the equivalent of driving a couple of blocks in CT. We used to drive from Evergreen to Denver just for dinner.

After all it's the FF not UConn vs Iona and the Pepsi Center has to be better than Gampel :)

JS

Reaction Score
this is the first year the games are shot in HD. This, plus the proliferation of HD televisions, absolutely makes staying home a solid option.
Take a big flat-screen TV with HD and your favorite leather recliner, and no expenditure of time, ticket etc. prices and gas (and night driving, if, like me, you have a measure of night blindness).

Then add to that a DVR on the big-screen TV. Now you get not only a great view, including close-ups, plus the call of the game (whether it meets all your wishes or not), but you also get the ability to:
  • watch the game when it's convenient to you;
  • stop the action if you need to leave the room, take a call, whatever;
  • go back and watch plays again, in slo-mo if you want; and
  • (sorry CPTV) fast forward through -- ahem -- breaks in the action.
All in all, a very appealing prospect.

Nonetheless, I went to the Stanford game. I go to "big games" (at XL, never the geographically inconvenient Gampel) occasionally for the atmosphere, which can be electric, and to see friends.

Reaction Score
Uconn has done nothing to promote the Womens basketball team outside of the cptv crowd, which is the same as preaching to those already converted.

Until Uconn reaches out beyond the already converted the issue will continue, the school needs to figure out who their target audience is and go after it aggressively. This they have not done or they show no sign of having done it.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score

TV has nothing to do with the fact that I never attend UConn games. In fact, without CPTV I never would have become a UConn Huskies fan. I wasn't much of a basketball fan until I saw the women play during the 2003-2004 season on CPTV. The women's play reminded me of the way basketball was played when I was growing up (the 1950s). I live in Fairfield County, not far from the NY border. To get to Storrs would be a major undertaking. If UConn ever played in Bridgeport, for example, I would seriously consider attending.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'm sure that the TV coverage has had an impact but CPTV has been covering UConn for quite a few years and the attendance didn't start to decline until 6-7 years ago.

To answer your question - I no longer drive the 90 mile round trip to sit on a chunk of concrete in an alloted space that is 4" narrower than my ass (which isn't that big). I get annoyed at buying a bottle of water without a cap, knees in my back, no where to put stuff (a jacket) etc. The games at Gample are no longer worth the effort for me. Just recently, it seems like I watch the games on TV as much out of habit than anything else.
hahahahahahaha funny

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I went to the Mens game today (Saturday) vs Arkansas... sat with the Students and it was EXCITING, loved every moment of it. It was on ESPN but I preferred to attend the game in person (plus Im a XL Center season ticket holder for the MEN)

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
Over the same period that is being measured, the economy has gone to crap, people have lost their jobs, gas is more expensive, aren't tickets more too? iirc, tickets used to be pretty much cheap and available. Due to the program's success imho people who can afford it buy season tickets so they can go to the A&M games and blow off the cupcakes. Solution, let people turn in tickets to re-sell and LOWER ticket prices. Raising prices especially in a bad economy was shortsighted.

I'm with the group that would rather watch it on my big screen HD DVR'd samsung than sit in traffic for (from westport), 4 hours roundtrip.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Over the same period that is being measured, the economy has gone to crap, people have lost their jobs, gas is more expensive, aren't tickets more too? iirc, tickets used to be pretty much cheap and available. Due to the program's success imho people who can afford it buy season tickets so they can go to the A&M games and blow off the cupcakes. Solution, let people turn in tickets to re-sell and LOWER ticket prices. Raising prices especially in a bad economy was shortsighted.

I'm with the group that would rather watch it on my big screen HD DVR'd samsung than sit in traffic for (from westport), 4 hours roundtrip.

I would absolutely agree that big screen TVs have had an impact. A big impact. I mean watching the game on a 42" HD and up TV is a huge leap over even 32" standard TVs. As JS noted add the convenience of the DVR and all its capabilities and it is in many ways better than the live expereience. Pendergast needs to understand this is his real competition.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
I would absolutely agree that big creen TVs have had an impact. A big impact. I mean watching the game on a 42" HD and up TV is a huge leap over even 32" standard TVs. As JS noted add the convenience of the DVR and all its capabilities and it is in many ways better than the live expereience. Pendergast needs to understand this is his real competition.

If I lived anywhere near Storrs or Hartford, I'd want to attend at least an occasional game. TV is great but it's not the same as the live experience. I wish I had seen Maya Moore in person. I think I saw virtually every game she played, on TV, but seeing her live would have added an extra dimension to the experience. As a baseball fan, I've seen many many games live and in person and was always thrilled. Started at Ebbets Field on June 15, 1952 (Dodgers vs. Reds--yes, I know the exact day), was at the first Mets game played at the Polo Grounds in 1962 vs. the Pirates, and the first game at Shea in 1964, vs. the Pirates. And I've seen baseball and hockey games live in other cities, including Boston, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia, Chicago, Washington, and Los Angeles. I even saw one NBA game in KC (the Kings) back in the 1980s while on business travel. I unfortunately have a physical problem that affects my ability to attend games. I can still do it, but I'm reluctant for fear of discomfort and HD TV certainly substitutes. But I still say, as nice as HD TV is, it's no real substitute for the real thing.

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
TV has nothing to do with the fact that I never attend UConn games. In fact, without CPTV I never would have become a UConn Huskies fan. I wasn't much of a basketball fan until I saw the women play during the 2003-2004 season on CPTV. The women's play reminded me of the way basketball was played when I was growing up (the 1950s). I live in Fairfield County, not far from the NY border. To get to Storrs would be a major undertaking. If UConn ever played in Bridgeport, for example, I would seriously consider attending.
You may know this already, but the two opening rounds of the NCAAs include Bridgeport as a host this year, and it's pretty likely UConn will be there.

Reaction Score
As for promoting women's basketball, I have read numerous articles about the team, players & coaches in the sport pages of the Bpt. Post. I see little to nothing in the N.Y. papers about womens college basketball. Nothing on the NY local sport channels. ESPN does on occasion because they televise some of the games. Point being, their is limited girls sports promotion.

Reaction Score
I went to the Mens game today (Saturday) vs Arkansas... sat with the Students and it was EXCITING, loved every moment of it. It was on ESPN but I preferred to attend the game in person (plus Im a XL Center season ticket holder for the MEN)

We touched on this in another thread. The lack of excitement from the fans in the crowd is disappointing. I'm having so much fun in the student section while the crowd is just sitting there. I know it can be hard to get very excited during blowouts, but the lack of excitement can also be a detriment to attendance.

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
You may know this already, but the two opening rounds of the NCAAs include Bridgeport as a host this year, and it's pretty likely UConn will be there.

Yes, and do you know when the tickets go on sale?

RoyDodger

Retired in the Southwest
Reaction Score
As for promoting women's basketball, I have read numerous articles about the team, players & coaches in the sport pages of the Bpt. Post. I see little to nothing in the N.Y. papers about womens college basketball. Nothing on the NY local sport channels. ESPN does on occasion because they televise some of the games. Point being, their is limited girls sports promotion.

When UConn plays weak opponents, the NY papers will usually list the score with all the others and that's it. When UConn plays a big game, such as against Stanford, they're lucky to get a few lines in the sports section. Women's basketball is clearly not a priority in the Big Apple.

Reaction Score
I'm sure it does, but 40 miles RT in Colorado is the equivalent of driving a couple of blocks in CT. We used to drive from Evergreen to Denver just for dinner. After all it's the FF not UConn vs Iona and the Pepsi Center has to be better than Gampel :)
Why is it called Evergreen when it is ever white from mid-fall to late spring? :confused: I belong to a retired men's club's hiking group. When we hike in the Evergreen area we have breakfast at Country Roads Cafe in Kittredge. It is tiny but fun place. Good food but massive portions. When were you living in Evergreen?

Reaction Score
Before the games were televised, most residents of CT didn't realize that there was a Women's basketball program.

You are absolutely right; I didn't become a women's basketball fan until 1994 when CPTV began broadcasting the games.

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
We touched on this in another thread. The lack of excitement from the fans in the crowd is disappointing. I'm having so much fun in the student section while the crowd is just sitting there. I know it can be hard to get very excited during blowouts, but the lack of excitement can also be a detriment to attendance.

The amount of fan excitement in the arena is directly related to the quality of the competition. We all complain about the old farts (of which I am a member) sitting on their hands during the game but give them a great game and the joint will be jumpin'. On second thought maybe the old farts are sitting on their handss because the seats are so friggen' hard.

As for TV's effect on attendance. It would be nice to know the ratings for the CPTV games. Have they gone up/down apace with the attendance numbers?
HDTV is new this year so I don't know how to measure the impact.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom