For Nika high energy comes gnat-turally | The Boneyard

For Nika high energy comes gnat-turally

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Nika learned in a hurry what it would be like playing for Geno. "Early in maybe October right in front of my face he called me the worst shooter ever at UCONN."

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I shot the ball maybe two times and I missed both. He completely stopped practice and in front of my face said, ‘You’re the worst shooter that UConn has ever seen.’

It's not easy to play in UConn under this kind of pressure. All girls are so tough.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Great article

Nice summary

“I wouldn’t say I’ve changed,” Muhl said. “I would say I’ve grown a lot in every aspect. Mentally and physically I feel that I’ve stepped up my game a couple of levels. Practicing with these girls, competing with them, learning from the best coaching staff ... If you give 100 percent every practice that you’re here you can go only go forward. I feel like I’ve gained trust in myself and trust from my teammates and coaches.
“We’ve been waiting for this the whole year and we’ve made so many sacrifices and it’s finally here,” she added. “We’re ready and we can’t wait.”

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Thanks for posting. I always was interested in Nika and how she would perform here. She has certainly done well, and she is a fun kid too.

Reaction Score
In some ways she reminds me of Kia Nurse. Certainly her defensive intensity does, and she isn't afraid to take a 3-point shot, much like Kia. Each has a fun personality as well.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
It is very refreshing to hear Nika and, for that matter, all of these terrific young UConn women talk because they seem so comfortable in their own skin. Very interesting comments by her, not cookie-cutter stuff at all.

Nika seems thoughtful and self-aware but in a very good sense, not narcissistic. Confident but aware that she has a long ways to go. Goal oriented.

Geno will go on and on about how these young players flummox him, but he did not get where he is without being able to size up his players. We now know of at least two incidents where he really let Nika have it, and a weaker personality would have folded like a cheap suit and disappeared, either back to Croatia or to the end of the bench. He must have known that she was the type to fight back with all that she has to prove him wrong. She did, and she has.

Reaction Score
Quote from Geno, in the article: “Since she has been in the starting lineup, there has been an incredible change in the look and feel of our team. How aggressive she is on defense. How hard she competes. How difficult she makes it for opposing point guards with her tenacity and grit. Then you throw in that she has become someone you have to guard on the 3-point line, because she is going to make just enough of them to make you disappointed you didn’t guard her. And she has a little bit of an attitude. She has a little bit of an edge. I’ve never seen a great player that didn’t have it. She has it, and I love that about her.”

Early on, preseason and early in the season, a few on The Boneyard had already written Nika off or delegated her to at best a role player. Several of us either through what we'd seen online or through statements made by Geno as to the obvious potential he saw in her, believed she would be a wonderful Husky player. Over the last few weeks many of the early critics have expressed that they were wrong and have applauded what she has brought to the team. I am so happy for her and for the team that she has made the adjustments and put in the work to be able to be part of a special group of young women heading into the push to bring home #12.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom