For another Day - | The Boneyard

For another Day -

Reaction Score
What to do with Charlton. Ws wash away a lot of sins, but just some absolutely moronic play calls and situation management today.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
What to do with Charlton. Ws wash away a lot of sins, but just some absolutely moronic play calls and situation management today.
He gets a bonk on the head for the trick plays, especially any plays with Millen at RB. But hes done a good job considering the context, and he’s so young that you might want to consider him next up if Mora were to leave.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Charlton does far more good than bad. I think he’ll learn from his mistakes.
I want to add another far to your comment. The guy opened the game with a TD drive, again. He scripted a 95-yard tounhdown drive, again. They got the ball in winning time down 5 to the #19 team and put the winning TD on the board. Yeah, that's about the same as a couple plays that didn't work.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
I can't believe Mora didn't tell him to "spice it up this week". He doesn't just go crazy on a whim...

Reaction Score
Honestly, I don’t even understand the mindset that can find fault with this coaching staff right after a win like this.

To the OP. We just beat a ranked team ranked among the best defenses in the country and ranked #1 in TFL and sacks. I think a mindset of doing everything possible to keep them off balance was a pretty logical place to be.

Enjoy the win.

Reaction Score
He just needs to cut out all the gadget plays, when he's just sticking to the plan he calls good stuff considering the lack of firepower he has.
He’s had some success with gadget plays. Probably needs to try them less often but practice them a little more.

Reaction Score
What to do? Give him a raise and a pat on the back. You can slice / dice it anyway you want but we put up 36 points on a nationally ranked team that was slated for a good bowl bid.

Sure he tried some things that didn’t work today, but there was some genius in there too.

Reaction Score

The dumbest play call of the day is you starting this moronic thread. Nobody is perfect, overall Charlton has been terrific. Lets not forget he is working with a true freshman QB and his top playmakers have been injured most of the season. The year over year improvement in our running game has been amazing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The dumbest play call of the day is you starting this moronic thread. Nobody is perfect, overall Charlton has been terrific. Lets not forget he is working with a true freshman QB and his top playmakers have been injured most of the season. The year over year improvement in our running game has been amazing.
Its unclear if you watched the same game as I did. The guy nearly threw away the game with boneheaded calls. Running an option into a short side of the field with no room to pitch (turnover). Running wideout and bubble screens with 2 minutes to half, then having your freshman QB throw on 3rd and long (turnover) instead of running the ball to eat clock, punt and play field position. He had a great opening series with a solid run/ pass mix. He made some nice calls like the 2pt.play. But, let’s be real. The guy made some real poor decisions at critical times.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
I remember last year's play calling and this is the world's better and it's not even close.

Think he has given us some joy with his play calling and not sure what you are seeing that the rest are not seeing.

Reaction Score
Its unclear if you watched the same game as I did. The guy nearly threw away the game with boneheaded calls. Running an option into a short side of the field with no room to pitch (turnover). Running wideout and bubble screens with 2 minutes to half, then having your freshman QB throw on 3rd and long (turnover) instead of running the ball to eat clock, punt and play field position. He had a great opening series with a solid run/ pass mix. He made some nice calls like the 2pt.play. But, let’s be real. The guy made some real poor decisions at critical times.

So to go back to your original post, what do you propose we do with him in the offseason? Personally i'm thinking a nice increase in pay is warranted.

Reaction Score
You have to carefully watch what Charlton is doing with his play designs and not just the few poorly executed plays. On one play yesterday he bought Millen into the game and line him up as a running back. Millen went in motion to the right and took a couple of Liberty players with him who know that Uconn likes to run trick plays with Millen. The middle of the field open up and Zion took off and ran up the middle for about 8 yard gain. Charlton is light years ahead of what we had the last couple years. Its amazing how much success we have had this year with an offense that has such a limited passing attack.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
Love this post. I hate the cherry-picking of a couple of plays that didn't work while ignoring all of those that did. And is it possible a play that didn't work set up a subsequent successful play?
I agree with this and I think Charlton has done wonders with a limited toolbox, but he/they got greedy with that possession at the end of the half and it cost them. Three runs there and if you punt, they have a long field and a minute left... Not a fireable offense by any means though.

RedStickHusky

formerly SeoulHuskyFan
Reaction Score
We've checked off the "learn how to win" box, still need some work on "play with a lead".

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom