For all ESPN haters/dislikers | The Boneyard

For all ESPN haters/dislikers

Reaction Score
Well, maybe hate is a strong word, but many actively dislike the corporate giant, and will find some comfort in this:
ESPN's Surrender to Grim New Reality

personally, I think ESPN's tide turned when it allowed D and Sue to give Maya a recruiting tour of their facilities.:rolleyes:

But, seriously, Nocera raises the well-known, but still important issues of revenue for traditional industries.

Reaction Score
Since its inception ESPN has been able to double-dip, enjoying cable subscription fees (including from millions of subscribers who don't even want it) AND advertising revenues (based on actual viewership). This has allowed them to "overpay" for live event programming - they could outbid rivals because, based on ESPN's business model, it WASN'T overpaying.

The party lasted a long time and allowed them to build a powerful worldwide network which dominates sports programming. They have a huge presence in TV, radio, online, and even print media.

Technology allowed them to scoop everyone and and technology is now bringing them back to reality and the need to compete on a level playing field. But they are left with a huge advantage - they invested those obscene profits to create the most robust multimedia sports reporting organization and most powerful sports media brand - by far- in the world. Disney will be reluctant to accept the more mundane results, and that's good - it will make them more creative in how to reinvent their future.

ESPN has promoted and subsidized WBB for a long time, both college and pro. Where would WBB be without ESPN?

Reaction Score
ESPN has massive rights deals for tons of content. That they "only" make $2billion (plus) a year makes them a good deal for Disney, who they carried for the past 20 years. It looks like tough times because double digit profit % isn't going to continue. As long as people want to watch live sports they'll be OK.

Jim

Reaction Score
ESPN has promoted and subsidized WBB for a long time, both college and pro. Where would WBB be without ESPN?

I guess UCONN would be stuck in the Big East with the likes of Notre Dame, Syracuse,Georgetown, Rutgers, and West Virginia, and would have CPTV televising every game. Gee, thanks, ESPN for saving us from that horrible fate.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I'd like to go on record as saying I do not dislike ESPN. I do dislike most of their insipid/sophomoric is it radio/is it TV talk broadcasting which can pound a simple, tangentially sports related topic to death.

Reaction Score
I'd like to go on record as saying I do not dislike ESPN. I do dislike most of their insipid/sophomoric is it radio/is it TV talk broadcasting which can pound a simple, tangentially sports related topic to death.
This. ESPN created multiple outlets to show games, tell stories, and report sports news. However, the last decade has seen the networks and the website to devolve into little more than gossip and irrelevant banter on many topics by talking heads.

People often watch sports to escape and have fun. What is being aired on the "family of networks" barely resembles what made them successful. I understand we are in 2017 and the world has changed from 1992, but I would love to see ESPN consolidate their networks and put much more of a focus on sports with minimal social commentary and far less bickering between two adults over what went on that day in the sporting world outside of scores

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I would love to see ESPN consolidate their networks and put much more of a focus on sports with minimal social commentary and far less bickering between two adults over what went on that day in the sporting world outside of scores

That is it in a nutshell.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
This. ESPN created multiple outlets to show games, tell stories, and report sports news. However, the last decade has seen the networks and the website to devolve into little more than gossip and irrelevant banter on many topics by talking heads.

People often watch sports to escape and have fun. What is being aired on the "family of networks" barely resembles what made them successful. I understand we are in 2017 and the world has changed from 1992, but I would love to see ESPN consolidate their networks and put much more of a focus on sports with minimal social commentary and far less bickering between two adults over what went on that day in the sporting world outside of scores

I could not agree more. When I tune tune in to ESPN, I want to catch up on the latest sports scores, the latest breaking news and maybe a little commentary.
If I want to listen to debate, I tune to Fox Sports 1, (Undisputed (Skip Bayless/Shannon Sharp) or Speak for yourself (Colin Cowherd/Jason Whitlock). Things have changed over the years. The world wide leader used to be the elephant in the room when it came to covering sports. Not any more. There are more outlets now for the viewing public to choose from.

Many of our favorite high salaried and long tenured anchors and analysts at ESPN did not have their contracts renewed this spring, in ab effort to cut payroll costs and save money. Only a scant few made the cut. We're seeing lots of "new hires" (new faces) that were brought in to replace them (at much lower salaries). I don't know about you, but to me, when I tune in now to watch sportscenter, it's not the same. Expect to see all new faces on ESPN's Sunday morning NFL Countdown Show. :(

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I dont dislike ESPN. I watch some of the sports events..... listen to a few shows on ESPN radio. Things I dont like, I just dont watch/listen to. All the whining from the peanut gallery is far more annoying than any of the shows that ESPN puts out.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I dont dislike ESPN. I watch some of the sports events..... listen to a few shows on ESPN radio. Things I dont like, I just dont watch/listen to. All the whining from the peanut gallery is far more annoying than any of the shows that ESPN puts out.
True. One could also say that ESPN needs to show something - there is only so many sports contests, and replays are much a thing of the past, with highlights available 24/7 on our phones / computers / etc. Some of their feature programs, such as they show on "30 for 30" are excellent, although obviously I only have watched those in which I have an interest. (NFL Network likewise produces some very good features among the dreck).

I don't do radio at all. Of the shows (as opposed to sports) on ESPN, I sometimes watch (and always tape) PTI. I enjoy the program, but want to point out that it is every bit of 5 minutes shorter (5 minutes more commercials) than it was 10 years ago. I have seen some of the Jamelle Hill SportsCenter that follows it, and it isn't my cup of tea, from what I hear I probably wouldn't like watching any SportsCenter any more, and that's a shame. I liked Sports Reporters, and we saw what happened to them, so I assume PTI will eventually follow.

But Triad's first point is key - I don't dislike ESPN. They are changing, and are trying to appeal across a lot of folks that are younger than my 60. They may not be having a lot of success, but they have to try.

Carnac

Reaction Score

As hard as I tried, I could not resist from responding to your comment. You said: "Things I dont like, I just dont watch/listen to". "All the whining from the peanut gallery is far more annoying than any of the shows that ESPN puts out". You're a regular here in the yard. If you're so annoyed by the comments and postings expressed here in the Boneyard, why do you continue to come here? That's what the Boneyard is for. It's a vehicle for folks that want to air and share their thoughts and opinions.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
As hard as I tried, I could not resist from responding to your comment. You said: "Things I dont like, I just dont watch/listen to". "All the whining from the peanut gallery is far more annoying than any of the shows that ESPN puts out". You're a regular here in the yard. If you're so annoyed by the comments and postings expressed here in the Boneyard, why do you continue to come here? That's what the Boneyard is for. It's a vehicle for folks that want to air and share their thoughts and opinions.

I was actually referring to whining about ESPN in general..... and that whining goes far far beyond the Boneyard. I never said anything about being so annoyed by the comments and postings on the Boneyard in general.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
I find myself watching ESPN less and less. I usually watch baseball but I find their new crew of announcers leave a lot to be desired. Also, when I watch sports, I do not need or want political commentary. And ESPN has gone political.

Carnac

Reaction Score
I was actually referring to whining about ESPN in general..... and that whining goes far far beyond the Boneyard. I never said anything about being so annoyed by the comments and postings on the Boneyard in general.

Ok, my apologies. I misunderstood the context your comment. Thanks for the clarification.

Reaction Score
I haven't watched a complete baseball game in 25 years. But, I will be the first person to scream if they stop broadcasting Little League Baseball. I can watch a LL ball game at the drop of a hat. Just my thing....

Reaction Score
I don't watch much in the way of sports on TV (Beyond WCBB), but I've never had a problem with ESPN. I tend not to look at the argument shows, which havethree or four guys (invariably guys) yammering at one another. What is absolutely certain is I will not watch Fox, ever.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom