For a song, music (tune) or lyrics first. share yours | The Boneyard

For a song, music (tune) or lyrics first. share yours

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
I know there is no right or wrong way to write a song.
First there was Willie Dixon. Then there was the Chicago Blues. Mr. Dixon wrote and co-wrote over 500 songs. He collaborated with Muddy Waters, Howlin' Wolf, Little Walter, Sonny Boy Williamson II, Buddy Guy, Bo Diddley, Grateful Dead, Otis Rush, Jimmy Witherspoon, etc. His music has been covered by George Thorogood, The Doors, The Grateful Dead, The Blues Band, Peter, Paul, & Mary, Led Zeppelin, Van Morrison, Canned Heat, UFO, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Bruce Springsteen, Tom Petty, the Heartbreakers, B. B. King, Derek and the Dominos, Steve Miller, Koko Taylor, Tom Jones, Greta Van Fleet, Elvis Costello, Eric Clapton and Cream, The Allman Brothers Band, Steppenwolf, Chuck Berry, Motörhead, John P. Hammond, Jimi Hendrix, Manfred Mann, Jeff Beck Group, Megadeth, The Yardbirds, The Animals, The Kinks, Shadows of Knight, Mungo Jerry, Foghat, The Rolling Stones, Etta James, Paul RoTom Petty, Robben Ford, The Righteous Brothers, Chuck Berry, Sam Cooke, and more!

Reaction Score
Question for @Kaizen: how does one know if a particular song was written lyrics or melody first??
For instance you stated above Bernie Taupin wrote the lyrics first for Elton John. Was that true for all his songs?? How about this one:

Reaction Score
Question for @Kaizen: how does one know if a particular song was written lyrics or melody first??
For instance you stated above Bernie Taupin wrote the lyrics first for Elton John. Was that true for all his songs?? How about this one:

I use Google search and the Wiki to find out the results. It is not easy. The quickest way is from the song's wiki you can find out how is the song created.

At first I thought most of the songs are created by melody first. Then I find out this is not the case. Many songs are created by lyrics first, or normally a story is generated first..

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I use Google search and the Wiki to find out the results. It is not easy. The quickest way is from the song's wiki you can find out how is the song created
Thanks--I never thought to use Wiki for info on a particular song's provenance. Still not sure if the Taupin lyrics came before the Elton melody :)

Reaction Score
To Kaizen point this is one of the best examples of this.

Nile Rodgers and Bernard Edwards (RIP) wrote this song without even knowing who was going to sing it. They decided to give the song to a relatively unknown artist hoping it will become a hit and solidify their position of being excellent songwriters.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
For most songs, it’s hard to say. The lyrics for this one were written by Alfred Noyes around 1905, so definitely before Phil Ochs. You might also check out Loreena McKennitt’s version from about 30 years later.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Seamus Egan recorded a tune called “Weep not for the memories” on his second album. When he did the music for The Brothers McMullin a few years later, the producers brought in Sarah McLachlan to do the theme song. She and Seamus tweaked the melody to his old song just a bit and she wrote lyrics.

Reaction Score
For most songs, it’s hard to say. The lyrics for this one were written by Alfred Noyes around 1905, so definitely before Phil Ochs. You might also check out Loreena McKennitt’s version from about 30 years later.

Thank you for posting an Ochs song. Phil was born in NYC (Far Rockaway) and suffered from bi polar disorder for much of his life. I was fortunate enough to see him live at a Central Park concert in 1975. A year later, he took his own life.
Tragic

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom