Football Talent is Not All in the 'Stars' | The Boneyard

Football Talent is Not All in the 'Stars'

Status
Not open for further replies.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I have seen no one even mention stars with respect to Diaco's class.

Counting NFL players and trying to retro-rank classes makes no sense. Classes are ranked on the sum of what you recruit, not the ultimate success of the top 5%.

If you recruit 3 NFL players and 17 guys who stink you don't have a good class relative to anyone else, you have a terrible one.

Not that I put a lot of stock in the rankings but in the data you present UConn's best period of success lags almost perfectly with when their recruiting was highest ranked.

Reaction Score
I have seen no one even mention stars with respect to Diaco's class.

Counting NFL players and trying to retro-rank classes makes no sense. Classes are ranked on the sum of what you recruit, not the ultimate success of the top 5%.

If you recruit 3 NFL players and 17 guys who stink you don't have a good class relative to anyone else, you have a terrible one.

Not that I put a lot of stock in the rankings but in the data you present UConn's best period of success lags almost perfectly with when their recruiting was highest ranked.
Chances are if you have an eye for talent you are not going to get three nfl guys and 17 guys who stink

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Chances are if you have an eye for talent you are not going to get three nfl guys and 17 guys who stink

It doesn't make any sense regardless.
A: It's not what it even attempts to measure
B: There is no way to measure coaching
C: Even if rating classes on NFL output made any sense counting practice squad fodder as equal to All pros makes none

Reaction Score
the writer lost me when he made mention of the UVa lawsuit against the ACC - anyone know anything of that suit?

The reality is we will be recruiting below the radar kids for awhile - we are in CT, we are not P5, and we took 3 giant steps backwards in each of the last 3 years. We need to find kids that are NOT 4/5 stars, but who have the characteristics this staff wants. We all know you can build a succesful team with under the radar types. For now, what we have is a spellbinding HC who can promise kids that he wants them as part of his first full class. If we can start generating a buzz on the field, we can expand our view towards the 3/4 star kids. But for this class, we will only know how good they will be when they hit the field, many of them for the first time in 2018.

It's good to be optimistic again, but I am tempering my optimism when it comes to recruiting stars. Our best hope to get kids rated higher is to go en masse to a 24/7 and ask for a UConn page, promising increased readership

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
There is a happy medium here, fellas.

Of course stars matter to some degree! Diaco alluded to that much, even if he downplayed it. But there are obviously other things that matter too:

1) Facilities matter - We've got the best around
2) Strength coach matters - We just stole one of the most highly regarded ones from an SEC school.
3) X's and O's matter - We have a nice blend of high-energy coaches and high-experience coaches, who will likely get the absolute most out of each recruit.
4) Competition matters - It has to be said. We are not going up against an SEC-type schedule, where all the kids across the ball are 5 stars too. We are going up against kids that are also 2 and 3 stars. With our other advantages, we can have a metric crap-ton of success here!

Bottom line: Give us a load of 2 and 3 star athletes with chips on their shoulders and some athleticism, and we're going 13-0, muthaf#%$as...

Reaction Score
We ended up with a NFL caliber defense and an offense that couldn't score.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
We ended up with a NFL caliber defense and an offense that couldn't score.

Really? What year was that?

Was it 2007, when we averaged 26 points per game? Or 2008 with 25 ppg? Or 2009 with 31ppg? Or 2010 with 26? No offense, but we were able to put up 33 on ND and 20 on an SEC defense of South Carolina. How quickly PPGDL has washed our memories away. Just because we ran the ball a lot doesn't mean we didn't have offense...

Reaction Score
Really? What year was that?

Was it 2007, when we averaged 26 points per game? Or 2008 with 25 ppg? Or 2009 with 31ppg? Or 2010 with 26? No offense, but we were able to put up 33 on ND and 20 on an SEC defense of South Carolina. How quickly PPGDL has washed our memories away. Just because we ran the ball a lot doesn't mean we didn't have offense...

When P ran the team.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
When P ran the team.

The irony is that he was going to install a "pro-style" offense, and it led to us being in the bottom third of the ppg stat for three consecutive years. I'm so glad we've reinstated Mike Foley... :D

Reaction Score
The thing to look for is offer lists. I want to see more offer lists like Murphy and Garland. That's not to say that the other kids can't be successful here, but if you're going to measure recruiting using a specific metric, it's the offer lists. Not that the offer lists are always reliable anyway.

This is why I really don't follow recruiting anymore. It's pretty ridiculous. When they see the field, I'll starting giving my opinion on whether they can play or not. The rest is just noise from blowhards who get suckers to buy subscriptions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RipBenEmek

Top Bottom