Football Drags on UCONN P5 Ambitions (NYT) | The Boneyard

Football Drags on UCONN P5 Ambitions (NYT)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Unless your favorite program has been to a BCS game in the last 5 years, STFU.

Reaction Score
Pretty good analysis. If HCBD can have a great year then UConn will be part of the conversation. During the mean time, let's shock the world at the dance!!!

Reaction Score
wait, so this guy's saying our football isn't great?

well, damn. that explains a lot. thank god someone finally let us know.

Reaction Score
This just in...............UConn hoops is elite. Football not so much.

Reaction Score
Pretty straightfoward article -- the dig at Rutgers from within the NYC media market (i.e. the sole reason for Rutgers to be in the B1G) is amusing as well.

Reaction Score
just published

5159g8PoftL.jpg

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Question:
Would the Big 12 schedule significantly increase our travel? We already have 2 teams from Texas and one from OK.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
No, he's a good writer. And his editor, Andrew Das, is UConn class of '92.

This article is well-written and researched, and not inaccurate.

He's editorializing, and he sounds like Nelson.

Do you wish we didn't move from I-AA? Do you want us to drop football?

Things have not gone well over the last few years, and he does a fair job describing what happened, but there's not a single new fact in there and he has nothing positive to say about UConn's future.

So I stand on my original terse comment.

Reaction Score
Well researched? More like well written synopsis, with nothing new added to what is already well established and known.

Reaction Score
At least the local paper is focusing on the 6th borough. I remember when NYC was primarily a pro sports town.

Reaction Score
Confused how he says upgrading football was a mistake but football is what matters. Implying we'd be better off in the NBE? I'd rather play Tulane in football than DePaul in basketball .

Reaction Score
Question:
Would the Big 12 schedule significantly increase our travel? We already have 2 teams from Texas and one from OK.
No it would be more or less the same. People always bring that up when trying to disconnect UConn and the Big 12 completely ignoring the fact we're currently in a conference with the same foot print making millions on millions less than we would in the Big 12...

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
He says that the B12 might expand this coming Summer. They have been denying that.

This pronouncement strikes me as a WAG - wild ass guess. What he fails to explain is 1) The Big 12 has no need to expand now that they've been granted the waiver to have a conference football championship game; 2) Texas has no reason to give up it's lucrative Longhorn Network, because it makes them richer at ESPN's expense, even though it's been an unmitigated financial disaster; and 3) UT could give a rat's ass about the Big 12's survival because they are looking to go independent in football. OU's president David Boren wants expansion to solidify the league, or they'll seek greener pastures elsewhere. They're sick and tired, like everybody else in the conference, of UT running the show like a fascist dictator, because they've got all the cash, and they can get away with it.

If Boren is able to make a viable threat to leave the conference, he might succeed in convincing UT to play ball on expansion, but that's a doubtful scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DyNASTY#3

Top Bottom