Food for thought | The Boneyard

Food for thought

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Kevin Ollie is 82-42 in the regular season as a head coach. That comes out to a winning percentage of .661. In the postseason (not including the 2015 NIT loss to Arizona St.) he is 15-3 (.833).

It's still a small enough sample where it can be ascribed to statistical deviation, but it's also not crazy to think it's more than that, especially given the competition level is, if anything, a step or two up.

I've never bought into the notion that the 2011 and 2014 teams "got hot." I thought they got better.

Our last couple teams, the most recent one in particular, played at a higher level - and looked better and more cohesive doing it - in the postseason. Fine, maybe you can call the Cincinnati win a fluke, just like you can maybe call the St. Joe's win a fluke in 2014 (I wouldn't, but they both involved more than a little luck). But after that, they pounded a Temple team that had swept them, demolished a Memphis squad that was hot, and beat a veteran Colorado team pretty convincingly. Against Kansas they got punked, but maybe that's just because Kansas was that much better than us.

Point being, they've played at a higher level, with more urgency, in March than they have at any other point in the season. The lone exception? 2013, when we were banned.

So my question is, does Ollie treat the regular season like the preseason? I'm not asking whether he should do that, I'm asking whether he is doing that.

And no, I'm not trying to rationalize the disaster this season has been thus far. They should be able to handle Wagner and Northeastern without the coach emptying the bag of tricks, and guys like Izzo, who are sometimes similarly indifferent to the regular season, always manage to field representative teams.

I wonder, though. I wonder what we're going to see in Maui and I wonder what we're going to see in New York and I wonder what we're going to see at the end of the season in Hartford. They can't be this bad forever, at least not in a conference where they have much more talent than even the second best team. I'm still intrigued.

Reaction Score
Ollie's first game was a big win over Michigan state in Germany--which was a good sign of the great things to come, so I'm going to say, NO. I tend to think that Ollie is doing things differently than he did in the first 2 years.

Reaction Score
We could beat Duke and Kentucky on back to back nights and it still won't repair losses to Wagner and Northeastern at home. The damage is done. No matter what, the media, ESPN, other college basketball fans won't let us forget about what already happened. Nor should they. It was pathetic.

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
OP, yes, you are rationalizing.....Coach K. has been pretty successful in the post-season and still wins 30+ games in the regular season. There's no law against winning 'pre-season games'.

Reaction Score
We could beat Duke and Kentucky on back to back nights and it still won't repair losses to Wagner and Northeastern at home. The damage is done. No matter what, the media, ESPN, other college basketball fans won't let us forget about what already happened. Nor should they. It was pathetic.
If we beat Duke and Kentucky back to back it would definitely be forgotten...

But since that's impossible, they will need to win Maui. That would work too.

Reaction Score
Yes, KO treats the regular season as preseason, the prize for that? No postseason :confused:Head bang

Reaction Score
If we beat Duke and Kentucky back to back it would definitely be forgotten...

But since that's impossible, they will need to win Maui. That would work too.
I just saw Kentucky destroy MSU and I have to tell you that there is zero chance we could beat them. They have 5 star players at almost every position.

Reaction Score
I just saw Kentucky destroy MSU and I have to tell you that there is zero chance we could beat them. They have 5 star players at almost every position.
Sure. But to be fair, both teams shot well under 40% from the field, hacked each other on half their possessions, and had almost 20 turnovers a piece. It was no masterpiece of basketball.

MSU was starting a guy who walked on before this year at center. And Monk hit way more 3s than he would in a typical game. Lets not go crowning champions based on 2-3 games. Supposedly #4 Oregon who will be joining us in Maui was just dropped by Baylor by 17 points. These scores are pretty useless in a vacuum of information that we have after 5 days of basketball.

Reaction Score
Good lord. It's like a competition to make the most absurd pronouncement.
Hope I win. It will be the first any of us will experience this season. Besides, it's absurd for you to think these two losses won't have any lingering consequences. Then again, its you.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
OP, yes, you are rationalizing.....Coach K. has been pretty successful in the post-season and still wins 30+ games in the regular season. There's no law against winning 'pre-season games'.

Coach K is also going to go down as the best MCBB coach to ever live. Kinda high bar there.

kobe

Power Conference Enjoyer (Big 12)
Reaction Score
So basically you're going to beat us again in March? Can't wait.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom