Food for Thought - Playoff Contract Could Stand in the Way of Conferences Considering a Split | The Boneyard

Food for Thought - Playoff Contract Could Stand in the Way of Conferences Considering a Split

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just sharing...

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/08/05/s...f-commissioners-considering-a-split.html?_r=1&

“We are business partners; that C.F.P. contract will be honored, or there will be tremendous legal implications,” Craig Thompson, the commissioner of the Mountain West, said, referring to the new college football playoff. “We’re not going anywhere.”

“We developed access that we agreed upon, and we developed revenue sharing that we agreed upon,” said Britton Banowsky, the commissioner of Conference USA. “We signed a contract for 12 years committing our resources and team inventory. That is pretty substantial glue.”

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't think spilt will be as big a deal as we think. More about recruiting and eligibility rules than conference affiliation and TV contracts.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
I don't think this will effect the decision one way or the other.

As long as the D4 doesn't limit playoff access to the conferences that remain in FBS there will won't be any issues. Teams not in the P5 have trouble qualifying for BCS games as is and the only non-AQ team ever ranked in the Top 4 was TCU in 2010...which is now in the Big 12.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
the only non-AQ team ever ranked in the Top 4 was TCU in 2010...which is now in the Big 12.

Boise State 2010 - # 3 in final BCS poll.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Boise State 2010 - # 3 in final BCS poll.

If Boise State can finish number 3 when a team like WSU can pay a 5k stipend, offer 100 scholarships, and pay an army of recruiters to unearth the kids that Boise is currently finding, then more power to them. I don't think it will happen.

UConn Dan

Not HuskyFanDan; I lurk & I like
Reaction Score
If Boise State can finish number 3 when a team like WSU can pay a 5k stipend, offer 100 scholarships, and pay an army of recruiters to unearth the kids that Boise is currently finding, then more power to them. I don't think it will happen.
Where did I say that Boise State would be able to compete with a "Division 4" school if they were not also in "Division 4" ??

I agree that even with "access" to the playoff, those schools not in the "Super Division" (with looser player eligibility and recruiting guidelines, player stipend payments, etc) will never see the playoffs.

SubbaBub

Reaction Score
Where did I say that Boise State would be able to compete with a "Division 4" school if they were not also in "Division 4" ??

I agree that even with "access" to the playoff, those schools not in the "Super Division" (with looser player eligibility and recruiting guidelines, player stipend payments, etc) will never see the playoffs.

Which I think is the whole idea since payouts are now heavily weighted to participation in the playoff. And, why I think D4 and CR will be mutually exclusive things, to UConn's chagrin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom