follow up to incident during Oregon St.-USC game | The Boneyard

follow up to incident during Oregon St.-USC game

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
After the game Minyon Moore tweeted that fans directed racist comments toward USC players. The tweet disappeared soon after appearing. According to Oregon St. investigation a fan was acting inappropriately but no racist remarks were used. Even though the original claim has been deemed to be without merit, OSU's reputation was still damaged. That's the thing about making accusations, doesn't seem to matter much if they are true or not once they are out there.

Oregon State bans fan 2 games for comments

This has been getting a bunch of discussion on several threads in an Oregon St. message board.

Barnes responds on the USC game incident | Benny's House

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
This situation has been handled very differently than the somewhat similar situation still brewing between South Carolina and Missouri. Neither coaches or ADs from either school fired verbal shots at each other and no lawsuits have been filed in this case.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
This situation has been handled very differently than the somewhat similar situation still brewing between South Carolina and Missouri. Neither coaches or ADs from either school fired verbal shots at each other and no lawsuits have been filed in this case.
It's too bad. I'd really like to see Rueck throw down and trash-talk a little.

Reaction Score
There was enough information available if one just read through the lines and noticed all the red flags that there was nothing racial involved. Yet what really is the difference if it was or not. One of the problems with the focus on racial issues is that other forms of insults and slurs are ignored. Simons is someone who is dealing with a lot of emotional issues. She does not need more on her plate. Harassing any player from the stands should not be tolerated. The point of any harassment is to diminish a persons sense of esteem. We should strive to treat everyone with respect. If we did that then race and other forms of bigotry would no longer be an issue. We need to decide if our objective in respect to sports is to build people up or to tear them down. The term good sport used to mean something but it has appeared to have lost it's meaning.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
There was enough information available if one just read through the lines and noticed all the red flags that there was nothing racial involved. Yet what really is the difference if it was or not. One of the problems with the focus on racial issues is that other forms of insults and slurs are ignored. Simons is someone who is dealing with a lot of emotional issues. She does not need more on her plate. Harassing any player from the stands should not be tolerated. The point of any harassment is to diminish a persons sense of esteem. We should strive to treat everyone with respect. If we did that then race and other forms of bigotry would no longer be an issue. We need to decide if our objective in respect to sports is to build people up or to tear them down. The term good sport used to mean something but it has appeared to have lost it's meaning.
Actually, I wish someone from the school said something to the person being nasty - but they don't. They are their fans, after all.

Conversely, there was a horrible nasty Cal fan at the College Softball World Series a few years ago, really foul. He was warned, but he was a big donor and the Cal representative managed to quiet him down a bit. But, when he went to the edge of the stands and yelled at a player that had been injured the previous day something like "I hope you get hit in the face again with another ball and this time it knocks you out of the game for good" the usher actually called security and had him ejected. The Cal rep was upset.

nwhoopfan

Reaction Score
It's too bad. I'd really like to see Rueck throw down and trash-talk a little.

He seems mild mannered, but he did get T'd up 2 or 3 times this year. Has a little feistiness to him.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Actually, I wish someone from the school said something to the person being nasty - but they don't. They are their fans, after all.

Conversely, there was a horrible nasty Cal fan at the College Softball World Series a few years ago, really foul. He was warned, but he was a big donor and the Cal representative managed to quiet him down a bit. But, when he went to the edge of the stands and yelled at a player that had been injured the previous day something like "I hope you get hit in the face again with another ball and this time it knocks you out of the game for good" the usher actually called security and had him ejected. The Cal rep was upset.
Pro games is sort of ok but college games to me are off limits on the derogatory chants. I often just ask the offending person if they have a son or daughter who plays and what would they think if someone was yelling at them like that, that usually works, though at Madison Square Garden for the Big East, I usually try to note how many empty cups are near the loud mouthed individual first-discretion being the better part of valor...:)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom