Foley | The Boneyard

Foley

Reaction Score
Yeah he'll be back next week. It wasn't an egregious penalty, but by the letter of the law it was targeting.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Yeah he'll be back next week. It wasn't an egregious penalty, but by the letter of the law it was targeting.
I didn't see it live and the replays were focused downfield. Not every day see a dlineman called for targeting. With him out and Luke and Junior both missing parts of the game we were lucky to see people step up on d when needed.

Reaction Score
1st half targeting ejection = eligible for next game. 2nd half = ejection + ineligible for 1st half of next game. So, it's a coaches' decision for Foley and he'll likely play. The hit was obvious and not too smart, but it definitely didn't appear particularly egregious. For a redshirt senior leader, was that Foley's 2nd or 3rd game ejection?

From the link:

"There are two kinds of targeting penalties, as defined by the NCAA rulebook.

1. Targeting and Making Forcible Contact With the Crown of the Helmet: "No player shall target and make forcible contact against an opponent with the crown [top] of his helmet. This foul requires that there be at least one indicator of targeting." All indicators must have forcible contact and include, but aren't limited to, a player launching himself by leaving his feet; a crouch followed by a upward and forward thrust; leading with the helmet, shoulder, forearm, fist, hand or elbow to attack at the head or neck area; lowering the head before attacking with the crown of the helmet.

2. Targeting and Making Forcible Contact to Head or Neck Area of a Defenseless Player: "No player shall target and make forcible contact to the head or neck area of a defenseless opponent with the helmet, forearm, hand, fist, elbow or shoulder. This foul requires there be at least one indicator of targeting." The indicators remain the same as No. 1. Defenseless players can mean various situations for quarterbacks, ball-carriers and kickers when they're deemed unable to protect themselves."

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score

Jax Husky

Larry Taylor did nothing wrong
Reaction Score
I thought it was all facemask and side of the helmet, but whatever.

The loss of Joseph is extremely concerning though.

Reaction Score
Fatukasi Says Ref Did His Job On Disqualifying Him

>>Senior defensive lineman Foley Fatukasi was disqualified from UConn's game Thursday for a targeting penalty in the first quarter, giving sophomore Kevin Murphy a significant boost in playing time. Fatukasi will have to sit out the first half of the South Florida game as part of his penalty.

"At halftime, Foley stepped up even though he wasn't in the game, started talking to the guys and everything else," coach Randy Edsall said. "I didn't even have to say anything. That shows me they want to take ownership of the team. When it's player-driven, you've got a chance. It shows me a lot about him, in terms of how he handled the situation he got himself into."

Edsall saw the play on video and said it was a good call. Fatukasi agreed, saying, "The referee did his job," and that he has to be careful to aim lower.<<

Reaction Score
Fatukasi Says Ref Did His Job On Disqualifying Him

>>Senior defensive lineman Foley Fatukasi was disqualified from UConn's game Thursday for a targeting penalty in the first quarter, giving sophomore Kevin Murphy a significant boost in playing time. Fatukasi will have to sit out the first half of the South Florida game as part of his penalty.

"At halftime, Foley stepped up even though he wasn't in the game, started talking to the guys and everything else," coach Randy Edsall said. "I didn't even have to say anything. That shows me they want to take ownership of the team. When it's player-driven, you've got a chance. It shows me a lot about him, in terms of how he handled the situation he got himself into."

Edsall saw the play on video and said it was a good call. Fatukasi agreed, saying, "The referee did his job," and that he has to be careful to aim lower.<<
How bad is the press when they can't get documented rules correct? He was ejected 2 minutes into the game. He is eligible to play the entire USF game.

Reaction Score
Have to say, thought Sterling filled in well for Joseph. Made some plays.

I thought Sterling looked very good. Joseph is a very solid MLB in a 4-3. I was not sold that his lack of footspeed wouldn't be a problem in our 3-3-5.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I thought it was all facemask and side of the helmet, but whatever.

The loss of Joseph is extremely concerning though.
He dipped his head just before the moment of contact, just barely. Not intentional but it met the elements.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Any word on JJ's injury? Didn't look good.

On the topic of defense, I think the DBs were a C+\B-. They had a lot of tipped passes which probably should have been picked but overall,downfield, they had their men covered. Whether they can maintain that vs much quicker receivers I'm not sure. Wrapping up guys in space is still a struggle. Summers looked to really be taking charge. I like Watkins a lot.

Reaction Score
Have to say, thought Sterling filled in well for Joseph. Made some plays.
Britton made some plays too. I thought they were two of the few bright spots on defense.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's 2017.

You have to be unbelievably undisciplined to launch your self upwards towards a QB.

Inexcusable. Every bit of forward momentum must be from chest and below.

Reaction Score
How bad is the press when they can't get documented rules correct?
Challenging to say; it only took some mope (me) a minute to find clarifying info ... used something new called google or something

Reaction Score
Challenging to say; it only took some mope (me) a minute to find clarifying info ... used something new called google or something
We should send a "let me google that for you" link to the writer of that article.

LMGTFY

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom