FOIA documents concerning realignment obtained from Oklahoma Univ/David Boren | The Boneyard

FOIA documents concerning realignment obtained from Oklahoma Univ/David Boren

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/content/items/OU_emails.pdf

Lots of documents, including some "confidential emails" from/to Pete Thamel. Interestingly, Thamel apparently heard (correctly) that the combination of Oklahoma/Ok State to the Pac 10 by themselves was not going to happen.

Also, SDSU was really going big time on trying to sell themselves to the Big 12.

No mention of UConn in any of the documents.

Emails to/from Tim Pernetti (the Rutgers AD) in mid August concerning a posting on texas' rivals site.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
http://www.tulsaworld.com/webextra/content/items/OU_emails.pdf

Lots of documents, including some "confidential emails" from/to Pete Thamel. Interestingly, Thamel apparently heard (correctly) that the combination of Oklahoma/Ok State to the Pac 10 by themselves was not going to happen.

Also, SDSU was really going big time on trying to sell themselves to the Big 12.

No mention of UConn in any of the documents.

Emails to/from Tim Pernetti (the Rutgers AD) in mid August concerning a posting on texas' rivals site.
They DO read the boards! :)

Reaction Score
I believe the posting was a story by Chip Brown. But it's clear they aren't oblivious to the outside world.

Reaction Score
They DO read the boards! :)

Of course they do actually read the boards. There's never been a better window into the minds of the fans than internet message boards.

Reaction Score
Wow, that was an incredible read. I read about 20-25 letters, and saw a bit of what the OU president was going through. The first letter on BYU was really insightful. They should probably stay independent. I'm not going to go into this here, but the letter was an eye opener for me!
I guess this will be going on for some time, and there are some angry people in most of the BCS conferences! What a mess! And it confirmed to me how unstable most of those conferences are.
President Herbst has a real tough job. I certainly don't know the answer here.
Thank you, Rumrunner, for the great post!

Reaction Score
The exchange on p. 64 and 65 is interesting (b/w Lunsford and Petticrew). It alleges the same things re: ESPN that the DeFilippo comments seemed to show, that ESPN has been using its news as a platform to drive realignment decisions. Not exactly a smoking gun, of course, but it does lay bare that ESPN's had a hand in at least two more conferences' discussions and decisions.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Let's not forget the discussion of ND talking withe the Big 10 about joining in some form. Looks like the ACC needs to forget ND.

Reaction Score
Let's not forget the discussion of ND talking withe the Big 10 about joining in some form. Looks like the ACC needs to forget ND.

The ND stuff was a reported rumor, not a reported fact.

Reaction Score
That Notre Dame email started as a wild guess on the Northwestern rivals forum by the infamous "purplecat". It and he turned out to be total bullcrap.

Reaction Score
What do people think about Cuban's take that 16 team super conferences would cause schools to actually make less money?

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Wow, that was an incredible read. I read about 20-25 letters, and saw a bit of what the OU president was going through. The first letter on BYU was really insightful. They should probably stay independent. I'm not going to go into this here, but the letter was an eye opener for me!
I guess this will be going on for some time, and there are some angry people in most of the BCS conferences! What a mess! And it confirmed to me how unstable most of those conferences are.
President Herbst has a real tough job. I certainly don't know the answer here.
Thank you, Rumrunner, for the great post!

LOL, Randy Stansel is going to love going to Morganrtown and I'm sure Morgantown will give him a good ol' redneck welcome complete with banjos.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Fascinating stuff. ESPN's Machiavellian behavior is equal parts hubris and genius. They're really towing a fine line. Who knows if they'll ever have to face the people of those universities that their actions are causing considerable damage to, but if they do, it's gonna be ugly.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Very interesting, but mostly useless. These e-mails are largely from alumni and boosters, basically the same kind of folks who post on these boards. Very few of them had any information. It was more interesting to see e-mails from people like Bob Dole, and the out and out solicitation from San Diego State.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Nothing that wasn't discussed in this forum except with an OU slant.

There is a big division amongst their fans about options, same as UConn fans. There was certainly a lot of #BegHarder.

My favorite poster was the guy who WROTE LIKE THIS.

He had the perfect name for these matters - Stan Scism

Reaction Score
Nothing that wasn't discussed in this forum except with an OU slant.

There is a big division amongst their fans about options, same as UConn fans. There was certainly a lot of #BegHarder.

My favorite poster was the guy who WROTE LIKE THIS.

He had the perfect name for these matters - Stan Scism
haha....that's funny, I saw that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member