Fo, Fo, Fo No Mo | The Boneyard

Fo, Fo, Fo No Mo

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Moses Malone, RIP. Age 60.

As I said in Daryl Dawkins thread, I was a Sixers fan growing up. Daryl, Moses, Dr. J, Mo Cheeks, Bobby Jones, Andrew Toney and the rest all played for the Sixers as I was learning basketball.

Moses was a beast offensively and for a long time a dominant rebounder too.

Three MVP's and an NBA championship.

And the first to break the mold of HS to the pros.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2015/09/13/moses-malone-dies-age-60/72201802/

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If I'm World B. Free, I'm scheduling a check-up, pronto.

I was thinking Jeff Ruland or Roy Hinson. I stopped being a Sixers fan at the combination of trading Malone and Barkley leaving as a FA. At that point I started following players and teams more than franchises.

Reaction Score
Wow! and WTF?

Am I also in the check out line? Are those cash registers in the distance? These guys were not old.

Moses was a legend and had velcro for skin.

Reaction Score
I was also a Sixers fan growing up with Mo Cheeks, Moses, Dr. J, Andrew Toney, Bobby Jones and DD. So sad to see Moses die so young. He is only 15 years older than me. RIP Moses!

Reaction Score
I was thinking Jeff Ruland or Roy Hinson. I stopped being a Sixers fan at the combination of trading Malone and Barkley leaving as a FA. At that point I started following players and teams more than franchises.

Same here. I loved how the Sixers combined weapons all over the floor. Andrew Toney was my idol. His jump shot had me in the driveway shooting for hours a day. He was the guy I pretended to be with the clock winding down.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Same here. I loved how the Sixers combined weapons all over the floor. Andrew Toney was my idol. His jump shot had me in the driveway shooting for hours a day. He was the guy I pretended to be with the clock winding down.

The Boston Strangler. Kids could score in bunches. A shame injuries killed his career.

huskyharry

Hooyah
Reaction Score
Wow...these legends are leaving us way too early. RIP Moses!

Reaction Score
I saw a tweet that Malone was just at the HOF on Friday in Springfield and working out at the hotel gym. A day later he is gone. RIP Moses. As a Celtics fan I hated those teams and was amazed how Malone would just keep getting shot after shot due to his offensive rebounding. As the years passed I totally forgot that he won THREE MVPs!

UCweCONN

Former Poster
Reaction Score
Big men have short life expectancies. Just guessing but I'm assuming it stresses the heart having to pump blood that far.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I saw a tweet that Malone was just at the HOF on Friday in Springfield and working out at the hotel gym. A day later he is gone. RIP Moses. As a Celtics fan I hated those teams and was amazed how Malone would just keep getting shot after shot due to his offensive rebounding. As the years passed I totally forgot that he won THREE MVPs!

At times it was as if he was having a tip drill by himself. He had a relentless motor under the basket.

Reaction Score
For you young-uns:
  • From 1979 to 1987: Moses Malone averaged 25.5 points and 14.1 rebounds per game. Since then? No player has averaged that once in a season.
  • Moses Malone averaged 7.2 rebounds per game in 1979... and that was just on the offensive glass.
  • Was one of only eight players to win the MVP at least 3 times.
Amazing how 'overlooked' he was, meaning no one puts him on their first NBA All Time team. With Magic, Bird, Jordan and whoever, if you add Moses you certainly don't have to worry about them missing shots.

He deserves to belong in their universe. RIP Moses!

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
For you young-uns:
  • From 1979 to 1987: Moses Malone averaged 25.5 points and 14.1 rebounds per game. Since then? No player has averaged that once in a season.
  • Moses Malone averaged 7.2 rebounds per game in 1979... and that was just on the offensive glass.
  • Was one of only eight players to win the MVP at least 3 times.
Amazing how 'overlooked' he was, meaning no one puts him on their first NBA All Time team. With Magic, Bird, Jordan and whoever, if you add Moses you certainly don't have to worry about them missing shots.

He deserves to belong in their universe. RIP Moses!

Good numbers. There are a few good articles up on his career today. Here's one from Grantland. He played for a decade while Kareem was still very good, against a healthy Walton, Sikma, Gilmore, Lanier, Unseld and won three MVP's in a five year span.

He was the antithesis of Dawkins. Malone maximized every bit of talent he had and brought it every night. Not the highlight machine of Dawkins or the quote machine but he brought it every night.

http://grantland.com/the-triangle/moses-malone-1955-2015/

“The young Moses Malone had virtually no offensive moves other than a devastating ability to get the ball off the glass,” former Utah Stars coach Tom Nissalke says in the ABA oral history Loose Balls. “He was so lightning-quick and just seemed to know where a rebound was going. I saw a playoff game in his rookie season where he had 38 rebounds, 23 of them off the offensive glass.” Larry Brown classified him as the greatest offensive rebounder he’d ever seen, an opinion that has become universal (statistically, he’s the all-time leader). But Brown declared him to be so when Moses was still 18.

Reaction Score
Good numbers. There are a few good articles up on his career today. Here's one from Grantland. He played for a decade while Kareem was still very good, against a healthy Walton, Sikma, Gilmore, Lanier, Unseld and won three MVP's in a five year span.

He was the antithesis of Dawkins. Malone maximized every bit of talent he had and brought it every night. Not the highlight machine of Dawkins or the quote machine but he brought it every night.

Traded him for 'some' player named Cliff Robinson (and Jeff Ruland) in 1986. I'm a UConn fan but that was one dumb trade, setting Philly on a course to obscurity, and still residing there, even to this day.

Cliff will always have a claim to fame: Linky

C

Chief00

Moses also said about The Dream "Me learned em too much" referring to the Houston summer league days. A former UConn player went out to a club with Moses and was shocked at his forward pick up line - which I can't repeat here. Moses also said he could beat the Celtics with a bunch of guys from St Petersburg VA - yet couldn't do it with his 76er teammates LOL.

But Moses was one heck of a player - who played very hard and was relentless on the boards.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom