Fluck That! Go with Conf USA version 2.0 for all sports | The Boneyard

Fluck That! Go with Conf USA version 2.0 for all sports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Enough of the happy horse . UConn, Cincy, Temple, and Memphis is not a bad starting point for a decent bball conference. Put in a provision that there is no exit penalty or minimum one for an invite to a big 5 conference. That is everyone's goal anyway. Get a deal from NBC or whomever and get your 7-8 mill, a year and let the BB onlies get what they can. Perhaps form a scheduling alliance with them or someone else in BBall for strength of schedule.

Reaction Score
How are we going to get 7-8 mil a year? Were looking at 4 without the bball onlies in cusa 2. I don't know what the admins are going to do but its time for them to step up to the plate more so than they have and make whatever unpopular decision they have to make to preserve uconn athletics. This has become sad and pathetic for our great university.

Reaction Score
Problem--I don't give a flying duck* about those schools. None of them are exciting to play, and none of them would bring crowds. We have 30+ years of history with Georgetown and Villanova and PC and St. John's. Even when they suck, I like watching the games.

Unless we're going to a demonstrably better basketball conference--a conference that will already have rivals for us (Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Louisville in one, Rutgers in the other), I just don't think its worth flying all over the country to play teams no one cares about watching play.

Reaction Score
This nostalgic view of the Big East Catholic schools drives me crazy. Outside Georgetown and to a lesser extent Marquette and maybe Villanova, though they seem to have hit the skids of late, they are totally irrelevant to the college athletics world. Nobody follows St Johns any more. The 3 amigos, Providence, Seton Hall and DePaul go into the season hoping not to finish last and knowing if they actually finish in the upper division they'll be looking for a new coach. That league is the A-10 with higher tuition. Go with Memphis Cincy Temple and the rest. All sports leagues are better, there will be some degree of commonality of interest. Time to move on.

Reaction Score
Problem--I don't give a flying duck* about those schools. None of them are exciting to play, and none of them would bring crowds. We have 30+ years of history with Georgetown and Villanova and PC and St. John's. Even when they suck, I like watching the games.

Unless we're going to a demonstrably better basketball conference--a conference that will already have rivals for us (Syracuse, Pitt, BC, Louisville in one, Rutgers in the other), I just don't think its worth flying all over the country to play teams no one cares about watching play.

I'm left cold by your plan. I have to say, this relegates UConn to UMass. Ugh.

Go with the football schools and hope to join Cuse, Duke, Ville and Pitt within the next 5 years.

You throw in the towel now, you destroy football, and you become UMass.

Ugh.

Reaction Score
I'm left cold by your plan. I have to say, this relegates UConn to UMass. Ugh.

Go with the football schools and hope to join Cuse, Duke, Ville and Pitt within the next 5 years.

You throw in the towel now, you destroy football, and you become UMass.

Ugh.
Again, why is playing basketball in a better conference--and continuing to work and compete in the NNBE in football--equivalent to throwing in the towel?

To be clear, if the Catholics are leaving, they'd be smart to leave us behind if they care about stability, because we'd sure love to leave them when we get a chance...

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Need to do what's best for FB. Of the two options presented, there is little difference in the affect on BB provided Uconn maxes out its BB OOC schedule.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score
Again, why is playing basketball in a better conference--and continuing to work and compete in the NNBE in football--equivalent to throwing in the towel?

To be clear, if the Catholics are leaving, they'd be smart to leave us behind if they care about stability, because we'd sure love to leave them when we get a chance...

You're assuming there is a NBE football conference.

Reaction Score
You're assuming there is a NBE football conference.
Agreed. And you're assuming it falls apart. It might, or it might now. It's sad that we even have to have this conversation.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
27 month requirement just became very important, unless the dissolution clause preempts it.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk 2

Reaction Score

How do you figure the CYO is a better basketball conference? Or is your definition of better just that we have played them more?

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
How do you figure the CYO is a better basketball conference? Or is your definition of better just that we have played them more?
Let's imagine they add programs like Xavier, Butler, and one other than has had recent success (VCU? Creighton?)

Since 2000, UConn has been to the Final Four 3x, and won 2 titles.
Cincy has done nothing in the post-season (2 S16s)
Temple has done nothing in the post season (1 E8)
Memphis has a vacated FF, and some other nice runs. All with Calipari, who is no longer there.
USF (1 NCAA appearance), UCF (2x from the A-Sun), Houston (1x), SMU (0x), Tulane (0x)?

None of those schools are as good as PC, DePaul, or Seton Hall. Seton Hall has gone to the NCAAs 3x in that time (not good), but was in the mix more. And that's 1 less than all those other schools combined. Providence only 2x. DePaul only twice as well. But their better programs than all the bottom-feeders in the NBE.

Marquette, Georgetown, and Villanova are a step down from UConn, but are an improvement over Cincy. Each has been to a Final Four in the last decade. You add Butler, they have multiple appearances and two Final Fours. You add Xavier: they haven't missed the NCAAs since 2005, and 2 E8s and 3 S16s in that time.

The worst programs in the CYO are better than the worse programs of the newcomers. Generally by a lot.

The only program in the football schools left that is as good as the best CYO schools is UConn. Memphis and Cincy are a step down. Anyone else you add is a step down, especially once you assume they're going to add schools that have basketball success in their recent history.

If SDSU comes for basketball, and we add another western school with some semblance of basketball history (UNLV?), then a top group of UConn-Cincy-Memphis-Temple-SDSU-UNLV can rival a top of GTown-Villanova-Marquette-Butler-VCU-Xavier. But they'll have more Final Fours in the last 15 years than ours, and a deeper history.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall's last NCAA appearance was 2006. Providence was 2004. And say what you will about A-10 teams, they are A-10 teams. Not sure how adding Georgetown and marquette to what is effectively the A-10 makes it anyhting more than the A-10 with Georgetown and Marquette.Temple is better than any A-10 team, based on you know, its results. It won the A-10 over all those teams you want to add from that league.

Reaction Score
Seton Hall's last NCAA appearance was 2006. Providence was 2004. And say what you will about A-10 teams, they are A-10 teams. Not sure how adding Georgetown and marquette to what is effectively the A-10 makes it anyhting more than the A-10 with Georgetown and Marquette.Temple is better than any A-10 team, based on you know, its results. It won the A-10 over all those teams you want to add from that league.
True, but find me SMU's, or Tulane's last appearances.

They poach A10 schools.
  1. Georgetown
  2. Villanova
  3. Marquette
  4. Butler
  5. VCU
  6. Creighton
  7. Xavier
  8. PC
  9. Seton Hall
  10. St. John's
  11. DePaul
  12. St. Louis
That's a better basketball conference that what we will call home. By far.

Reaction Score
East:
Uconn
Cincinnati
Temple
UCF
USF
Memphis

West:
Houston
SMU
Boise State
SDSU
UNLV
New Mexico

Call it a day. Need to work.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score

If your a UConn fan you'll watch them whether they play Syracuse and Georgetown or if theyre playing Alaska-Fairbanks. Doesn't matter

Reaction Score
I didn't say I wouldn't watch them. I said I wouldn't get any special pleasure out of them beating those teams.

This argument is ridiculous. I like playing and beating Georgetown, Syracuse, etc. etc. Playing those types of teams is exciting. People don't care about UConn playing Ashville. That's not going to change.

Not playing them is going to suck, and I'd rather play those teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom