OT: FLOYD VS CANELO SEPT 14TH | The Boneyard

OT: FLOYD VS CANELO SEPT 14TH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
About time floyd stepped up and fought a fighter in their prime. I really didnt think floyd would ever agree to this fight. it will be at a catchweight of 152 which is a bit surprising. Should be good.

sammydabiz

I sport NewBalance sneakers to avoid a narrow path
Reaction Score
Pumped!
But Floyd is not a fool (although he can act like one), his style matches up VeRY well with Canelo (too slow), going off of Floyd's last fight, he should eat him up......but all in all, bout time we get a prizefight worth talking about!

Reaction Score
About time floyd stepped up and fought a fighter in their prime. I really didnt think floyd would ever agree to this fight. it will be at a catchweight of 152 which is a bit surprising. Should be good.

I read today that Floyd and 50 Cent were each going to get $5M to fight each other. THAT fight would be more suspenseful. I don't know what it is that makes people think Canelo can ufck with Floyd.

Reaction Score
Floyd wasn't happy with the PPV numbers vs Guerrero. This is the biggest possible fight right now.

Reaction Score
he still exceeded 1M buys, and that's with Guerrero being a nobody and Showtime a small step behind HBO among the general public(that will probably change now with all of GB/Floyd's business being transferred over). The numbers for this fight should be ridiculous, wouldn't be shocked at all if this approaches the 2M mark.
Floyd wasn't happy with the PPV numbers vs Guerrero. This is the biggest possible fight right now.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
This will be probably be the highlight fight of Floyd's Showtime contract. Really excited to see it happen. I just hope it doesn't go down to the cards with a bad outcome.

Reaction Score
Canelo has decent hand and foot speed. Problem with Canelo is he fights in spurts/short bursts and then proceeds to do nothing. Floyd will make him miss and when he proceeds to do nothing he will pot shot him and win a fairly easy decision. Love him or hate him, no one has ever made as much money fighting as Floyd, and its mainly because he is a master match maker for himself.

Pacquiao would have been more of a threat to Floyd a year and a half ago.

Reaction Score
not surprised people are already doing their best to poo poo this fight, but that is nothing new when it comes to Floyd. I can already see after Floyd wins this the latest rallying cry from Floyd haters will be why doesn't he move up and fight Ward.

Reaction Score
not surprised people are already doing their best to poo poo this fight, but that is nothing new when it comes to Floyd. I can already see after Floyd wins this the latest rallying cry from Floyd haters will be why doesn't he move up and fight Ward.
Don't get me wrong, Its the most exciting fight in boxing that can be made right now. I just think Floyd will expose Canelo, but that may just speak to Floyd's greatness more than anything else. I'll buy this one.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
My pops trained boxers for the better part of 2 decades, I've been in and around the sport for quite some time myself (use to train with Delvin Rodrieguez, when he was an amateur)
I'm not "poo pooing" the fight at all, am pretty psyched about it actually. The truth is, however, that if anyone is expecting Floyd to garner his first loss, they'll be surely disappointed. Canelo does not match up well with MoneyMay, his hand speed is not nearly fast enough to inflict any clean shots on Floyd. Ofcourse all you need is one shot, and a fight can go in any direction, but the general public does not seem to accept/understand how good of a boxer (technically) Floyd is, he's probably the best pure boxer we've seen since the likes of Sugar Ray Robinson (or Leonard for that matter).

I'm predicting it will go the distance, with a unanimous decision for Mayweather.
(Paq or Bradley would be the toughest opponents for Floyd to handle, within his weight range)

All in all, it's a great fight for a sport that has been struggling to stay relevant.

Reaction Score
My pops trained boxers for the better part of 2 decades, I've been in and around the sport for quite some time myself (use to train with Delvin Rodrieguez, when he was an amateur)
I'm not "poo pooing" the fight at all, am pretty psyched about it actually. The truth is, however, that if anyone is expecting Floyd to garner his first loss, they'll be surely disappointed. Canelo does not match up well with MoneyMay, his hand speed is not nearly fast enough to inflict any clean shots on Floyd. Ofcourse all you need is one shot, and a fight can go in any direction, but the general public does not seem to accept/understand how good of a boxer (technically) Floyd is, he's probably the best pure boxer we've seen since the likes of Sugar Ray Robinson (or Leonard for that matter).

I'm predicting it will go the distance, with a unanimous decision for Mayweather.
(Paq or Bradley would be the toughest opponents for Floyd to handle, within his weight range)

All in all, it's a great fight for a sport that has been struggling to stay relevant.

Yea I don't think Canelo has a chance in beating him, my response was more in regards to the talk about Floyd's "matchmaking", as if there is really any better fight out there to be made b/w the 147-154lb limit. If Floyd washes Canelo up to the tune of maybe 8-4/9-3, don't be surprised to hear comments tho about how there were better fights to be made out there instead of how great Floyd is.

Reaction Score
" Bradley would be the toughest opponents for Floyd to handle, within his weight range"

:confused: Bradley is terrible. he nearly lost to some russian guy a couple months back and shouldve lost to pac. floyd/bradley would play out like floyd/marquez .

As far as pac/floyd goes the only way that fight becomes super relevent again is if pac beat rios in convincing fashion then sets up a fight against adrien broner and ko`s him. that would put him right back in line for a floyd superfight. i dont see this happening because i dont see broners people putting him in with pac. i look for canelo/floyd to play out similar to martinez/chavez jr without the late round dramatics. another possibility although remote and highly highly unlikely floyd gets exposed and canelo ko`s him like tarver did to roy when roy looked unbeatable. what happened to roy was he fought b level fighters for far too long and when he stepped in against a viable opponent he was exposed as being past his prime.

Reaction Score
What happened to Roy is he put on 20+ lbs to go fight at heavyweight then dropped that to go back to light heavy, that was too drastic a change at that stage in his career. Remember there were people who thought he lost the first Tarver fight. Floyd hasn't done anything like that to his body.

:confused: Bradley is terrible. he nearly lost to some russian guy a couple months back and shouldve lost to pac. floyd/bradley would play out like floyd/marquez .

As far as pac/floyd goes the only way that fight becomes super relevent again is if pac beat rios in convincing fashion then sets up a fight against adrien broner and ko`s him. that would put him right back in line for a floyd superfight. i dont see this happening because i dont see broners people putting him in with pac. i look for canelo/floyd to play out similar to martinez/chavez jr without the late round dramatics. another possibility although remote and highly highly unlikely floyd gets exposed and canelo ko`s him like tarver did to roy when roy looked unbeatable. what happened to roy was he fought b level fighters for far too long and when he stepped in against a viable opponent he was exposed as being past his prime.

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
What happened to Roy is he put on 20+ lbs to go fight at heavyweight then dropped that to go back to light heavy, that was too drastic a change at that stage in his career. Remember there were people who thought he lost the first Tarver fight. Floyd hasn't done anything like that to his body.

Thank you for being sensible

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Roy Jones was an insanely good fighter who got bored and had too many plates in the air - he was running through gimmicky crap like playing a USBL basketball game in the afternoon and then fighting at night. He had rap records, he moved up to fight heavyweights, etc.

When he dropped back down to 170, he got clubbed. Too much nonsense.

I think Floyd could lose this fight - not likely, but he's going to be facing a talented guy who will outweigh him by 15 pounds by the opening bell. And Las Vegas will be Mexico North that night.

Reaction Score
First off Tim Bradley sucks and his win over Pacman was a crime. Roy Jones Jr. was an amazing talent and did some things in the ring I've never seen but at the end of the day he really didn't fight anyone, not his fault the division sucked then. Agree with fishy, he had too many other interests and got bored, after his first knockout he should have hung em up. I haven't seen too much of Canelo but from what I've seen he seems a bit overrated, good power but doesn't have the speed for Floyd. He is bigger than Floyd and packs some power I just think it's going to be tough for him to touch up Floyd.

Reaction Score
Agreed sir

Reaction Score

Then you knew Delvin when he was David, When did you train with David?? Ever go to COBA??

Reaction Score
First off Tim Bradley sucks and his win over Pacman was a crime.
He obviously shouldn't have won, but someone on here posted a good video that displayed the fight was a lot closer than the announcers led you to believe. It wasn't close by any stretch, but it was nowhere near the blowout that the public perception indicated it to be. (Plus, I think Bradley fought a few rounds with a fractured foot, which has to count for something.)

The point is that Bradley Jr. doesn't suck. He ain't good enough to compete with Floyd, but in a year or two he could make it mildly competitive.

Reaction Score
This is the biggest fight I can think of in a few years. I will definitely pay for this one

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
Then you knew Delvin when he was David, When did you train with David?? Ever go to COBA??
Back in the day at Hat City Boxing, personally I never went to Bridgeport, I would be there (Hat City) basically getting conditioned for football, while my pops was training fighters.

Reaction Score
First off Tim Bradley sucks and his win over Pacman was a crime. Roy Jones Jr. was an amazing talent and did some things in the ring I've never seen but at the end of the day he really didn't fight anyone, not his fault the division sucked then. Agree with fishy, he had too many other interests and got bored, after his first knockout he should have hung em up. I haven't seen too much of Canelo but from what I've seen he seems a bit overrated, good power but doesn't have the speed for Floyd. He is bigger than Floyd and packs some power I just think it's going to be tough for him to touch up Floyd.

Roy didnt fight anyone in his prime because there was no one on his level. that being said he did fight and beat james toney and bernard hopkins which goes a long way as far as showing his greatness.

Reaction Score
Back in the day at Hat City Boxing, personally I never went to Bridgeport, I would be there (Hat City) basically getting conditioned for football, while my pops was training fighters.
Cool, COBA was in Hartford, I visited Hat city gym a few times , What ever happened to Mike, Davids trainer?

sammydabiz

Reaction Score
Cool, COBA was in Hartford, I visited Hat city gym a few times , What ever happened to Mike, Davids trainer?

Apologies, charter oaks is in Hartford, not sure what I was thinking about. As for Mike, man I haven't seen him in years, he has to be atleast 90 years old, I hope he's still doing well, haven't heard of him passing or anything, so I hope no news is good news. Did you know Fernely, Marty Vizi, Lonnie Young?

Reaction Score
Apologies, charter oaks is in Hartford, not sure what I was thinking about. As for Mike, man I haven't seen him in years, he has to be atleast 90 years old, I hope he's still doing well, haven't heard of him passing or anything, so I hope no news is good news. Did you know Fernely, Marty Vizi, Lonnie Young?
No Those names don't ring a bell, Mike used to only bring David to COBA this was when he was a JO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom