Florida Article on Courtney Williams | The Boneyard

Florida Article on Courtney Williams

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I especially like this part of the article:

"But as Williams has learned, circumstances change and roles are modified over the course of a professional season. As a result, the No. 2 scorer in USF history is slipping out of contention for that sixth woman of the year honor.

Because lately, she's playing like the sixth-best woman in the whole darn league."

Reaction Score
I was impressed by her play in college and was surprised she wasn't drafted higher. Great to see her looking like her college self!

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
She probably goes back into contention; Bentley is back.

David, you thing Bently step right into the starting role next game?

Reaction Score
Not sure really. Practice today will probably be a big indicator.

Reaction Score
If it's not broken don't fix it.

I hope Williams stays starting, they looked to be playing better team basketball lately. Although it's been so long since the Sun played last it's hard to remember. ;)

Reaction Score
Harder to make a career starter into a bench player than to make the bench player a starter.

Not sure about minute breakdown between them, but it just may be as simple as Bentley is better at starting and Courtney has shown she can come off the bench and be effective.

Reaction Score
Harder to make a career starter into a bench player than to make the bench player a starter.

Not sure about minute breakdown between them, but it just may be as simple as Bentley is better at starting and Courtney has shown she can come off the bench and be effective.

Good point. Although to clear up my post, I was speaking only to this next upcoming game, as they have some momentum going with this particular group and Bentley will be only just back.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
I'm not at all surprised to see Williams doing well at this level. The one thing I'll always remember about Courtney during her days in South Florida, is that she was all business (she never smiled), and exuded lots of swagger. The first time I saw her smile was during the WNBA draft. I didn't recognize her when I first saw her during that broadcast.

She was one of the few players that never seemed to be in awe or fear of UConn, and always had a good game against them. She scored from beyond the arc, in the paint, and from the line. As I remember, she had some hops, and played some defense too. I always thought her skill set would transform seamlessly to the professional level. She just had to find the right team, she did.

Phoenix was obviously not a good fit. I followed her the first few weeks after league play began, and wondered why she wasn't getting any playing time. The trade to the Sun was the best thing that could have happened for her, and I'm not surprised she has recaptured the swagger and style of play she had in college.

She's comfortable now. She knows that she can play at this level, and that she belongs here. I agree with Trapppa: "if it ain't broke................." I'm sure they can (if it's best for the team) fit Wally Pipp.....er, Alex Bentley back into the rotation.

Coaches don't like to disrupt a chemistry that's working. This one is working. We'll see if Bentley gets her starting spot back. I also acknowledge the take of DishNSwish. For the reasons stated, Williams will probably return to the bench for the tipoff.

She's already stated for the record that she likes Connecticut. Connecticut likes her too, and is quickly becoming a fan favorite. As the article mentioned, the Sun has launched a campaign on her behalf. She just turned 23 last month (Born - May 11, 1994), I think she'll be with the Sun (and in the league) for awhile. :cool:

Last edited:

psconn

Proud Connecticut WBB Fan
Reaction Score
I like the concept of Bentley off the bench for at least the first game back, but I get the opposing view, and I will magnanimously defer to Coach/GM Curt to make the final call. :p

Reaction Score
She is my favorite non-UCONN player. I've seen her play a half dozen times at USF and she can leap. Gabby Williams can jump and I would put Courtney up there with her.

Reaction Score
She is my favorite non-UConn player. I've seen her play a half dozen times at USF and she can leap. Gabby Williams can jump and I would put Courtney up there with her.
It is amazing how well she rebounds at her size. And her blocks. Lindsay Whalen got blocked by Jonquel on one possession and I think it was a couple of possessions later Courtney blocked her. Made me smile (though I like Whalen).

easttexastrash

Stay Classy!
Reaction Score
Phoenix made a big mistake by not giving her a chance. Brondello was too determined to play the Aussies on the team instead of giving Williams a shot.

Reaction Score
I've said it before but I will say it again: I love me some Courtney Williams. One of Georgia's finest.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom